I was shocked when I went to the shop this morning for a bottle of MILK

Comments

• jon81uk
    jon81uk Posts: 3,773 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    prowla said:
    Apparently we're going to bring back the good old British pint!
    No more of that continental litres rubbish.
    I'm still buying 4pint bottles of milk, nothing really changed other than it has both imperial and metric measurements on the pack.

Also sausages are sold in 454g (1lb) packets, jam in 454g (1lb) or 340g(3/4lb) jars, coffee often in 227g (1/2lb) bags and many more similar things. We still use imperial pack sizes even if the writing on the pack is in metric.
  • p00hsticks
    p00hsticks Posts: 12,784 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    edited 1 June 2022 at 12:40PM
    jon81uk said:
    prowla said:

Also sausages are sold in 454g (1lb) packets, jam in 454g (1lb) or 340g(3/4lb) jars, coffee often in 227g (1/2lb) bags and many more similar things. We still use imperial pack sizes even if the writing on the pack is in metric.

I think far more now is metric - looking round our household just now for things to hand we have fizzy pop in 2 litre bottles, spreadable butter in 500g packs, ice-cream in litres, coffee in 300g jars etc..... (and our jam form LIDL is in a 340g jar). I confess I never look at the weight of sausages - just buy packs of 6, 8 or 10 depending on how many I need.
    As far as I can see all that's going to happen if the government waste any time pursuing this is that manufacturers will have to (or being given the choice to) go back and include imperial weights and meaasures as well as metric ones on their labels - they're not going to actually alter the package quantities in which they sell things, in the same way that they didn't when told to switch from imperial to metric.  

• jon81uk
    jon81uk Posts: 3,773 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    jon81uk said:
    prowla said:

I think far more now is metric - looking round our household just now for things to hand we have fizzy pop in 2 litre bottles, spreadable butter in 500g packs, ice-cream in litres, coffee in 300g jars etc.....
    As far as I can see all that's going to happen if the government waste any time pursuing this is that manufacturers will have to (or being given the choice to) include imperial weights and meaasures as well as metric ones on their labels - they're not going to actually alter the package quantities in which they sell things, in the same way that they didn't when told to switch from imperial to metric.  

Oh yes what the government is saying isn't going to change anything at all.

Its Shrinkflation that will alter the pack sizes.
  • elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,682 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 1 June 2022 at 12:45PM
    As far as metric goes, it doesn’t bother me for shopping although a lot of my recipes are in lb and ounces.
    Height and weight need to be in real money. Telling me I weigh x kg is meaningless. 
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • njm123
    njm123 Posts: 326 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    jon81uk said:
    prowla said:

I think far more now is metric - looking round our household just now for things to hand we have fizzy pop in 2 litre bottles, spreadable butter in 500g packs, ice-cream in litres, coffee in 300g jars etc..... (and our jam form LIDL is in a 340g jar). I confess I never look at the weight of sausages - just buy packs of 6, 8 or 10 depending on how many I need.
    As far as I can see all that's going to happen if the government waste any time pursuing this is that manufacturers will have to (or being given the choice to) go back and include imperial weights and meaasures as well as metric ones on their labels - they're not going to actually alter the package quantities in which they sell things, in the same way that they didn't when told to switch from imperial to metric.  

The Government will waste time on this, because it appeals to a section of their voters.  Whilst being oblivious to the obvious inflationary pressures it adds to the system - much like a lot of Government policies, you could think they had a large debt to inflate away.

It's only effects for most people will be to give producers an excuse to further inflate prices due a requirement for new labelling and resizing of some packets (Shrinkflation or adjusting prices upwards more than necessary if larger packets are introduced). 

• p00hsticks
    p00hsticks Posts: 12,784 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    edited 1 June 2022 at 6:04PM
    njm123 said:
    jon81uk said:
    prowla said:

The Government will waste time on this, because it appeals to a section of their voters. 

And I'm sure there were probably a few music lovers who enjoyed listening to Nero fiddling whilst Rome burned.....
  • MalMonroe
    MalMonroe Posts: 5,783 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    edited 9 June 2022 at 9:53AM
    [DELETED BY FORUM TEAM]
    That's a bit of a sweeping statement! Who are these old fuddy duddies of whom you speak? And also, you are so very, very wrong.
    Please note - taken from the Forum Rules and amended for my own personal use (with thanks) : It is up to you to investigate, check, double-check and check yet again before you make any decisions or take any action based on any information you glean from any of my posts. Although I do carry out careful research before posting and never intend to mislead or supply out-of-date or incorrect information, please do not rely 100% on what you are reading. Verify everything in order to protect yourself as you are responsible for any action you consequently take.
  • MalMonroe
    MalMonroe Posts: 5,783 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Imperial measures
    We're still buying a 1lb jar of jam and often sausages in 1lb packaging.
    Who can envisage the size of a gram or the length of a mm.
    We still compare weight to 2lb bag of sugar even though it's now 10% heavier.
    That may be true but packages are supposed to also have the metric weights on them. It's the law, "You must use metric measurements (grams, kilograms, millilitres or litres) when selling packaged or loose goods in England, Scotland or Wales". Different in N.I. though. 
    Please note - taken from the Forum Rules and amended for my own personal use (with thanks) : It is up to you to investigate, check, double-check and check yet again before you make any decisions or take any action based on any information you glean from any of my posts. Although I do carry out careful research before posting and never intend to mislead or supply out-of-date or incorrect information, please do not rely 100% on what you are reading. Verify everything in order to protect yourself as you are responsible for any action you consequently take.
  • Coffeekup
    Coffeekup Posts: 661 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Kim_kim said:
    Do you really think it tastes better/different?
    I'm with tizerbelle... For me it does taste different (creamier) and the consistency is different too, slightly thicker.

I live close to a row center with a Iceland, sainsburys, Morrison's and a couple of corner shops near me. The milk all taste different, sainsburys bis by far the sweetest, Morrison's tastes the most bland/watery, with the corner shops tasting quite sweet too, but its shelf life lasts no where near as long as "supermarkets"

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback