PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Mortgage free or forever home?

Options

Comments

• jenni_fer
    jenni_fer Posts: 529 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    @Zerforax both, therefore double the price!
  • redundantmortgage
    Options
    I'm on track to be mortgage free aged 40 in just under 2 months time. Joint salary is more than £70k but my wife's salary is considerably lower than mine.

When we first moved in together we lived in a decent sized house. When we relocated and then bought it was a one bed flat which has always been too small. We could have possibly stretched to a 2 bed flat when we bought but not a house and we've always wanted to move back to a house eventually.

I'm completely fed up of my career though and I discovered a couple of years ago it's not the stable career I thought it was when I got made redundant. The prospect of having to continue doing what I do for the next 25 years to keep a roof over my head fills me with dread.
  • spoovy
    spoovy Posts: 236 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    Woolsery said:
    I am not sure a large mortgage is the way to go at the moment with interest rates and the cost of living on the rise.

I'm sure it's not, for the majority.
    US and UK due to enter recession at the same time, major dislocation of supply chains, shortages worsening by the day, prices rising fast and people still say they're optimistic.  It's nice people are still so positive, I suppose, but what's that based on exactly? All the charts I see are going one way.
    I don't know what you're looking at but the IMF forecasts 3.7% growth in 2022 for both the UK and US. 2023 forecasts are 1.2% and 2.3% respectively.
    There's no recession on the horizon for either country.
  • Woolsery
    Woolsery Posts: 1,535 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    spoovy said:
    Woolsery said:
    I am not sure a large mortgage is the way to go at the moment with interest rates and the cost of living on the rise.

I'm sure it's not, for the majority.
    US and UK due to enter recession at the same time, major dislocation of supply chains, shortages worsening by the day, prices rising fast and people still say they're optimistic.  It's nice people are still so positive, I suppose, but what's that based on exactly? All the charts I see are going one way.
    I don't know what you're looking at but the IMF forecasts 3.7% growth in 2022 for both the UK and US. 2023 forecasts are 1.2% and 2.3% respectively.
    There's no recession on the horizon for either country.
    We will see. I trust my MiL more than the IMF, but each to his own!

• spoovy
    spoovy Posts: 236 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    I'd be interested to see the contradictory charts you referred to. Sorry I'm not familiar with MIL.
  • jonnydeppiwish!
    jonnydeppiwish! Posts: 1,221 Forumite
    First Post Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    spoovy said:
    I'd be interested to see the contradictory charts you referred to. Sorry I'm not familiar with MIL.
    Mother in law.

Whilst growth maybe forecast, we’re in for a rough few years imo.
    2006 LBM £28,000+ in debt.
    2021 mortgage and debt free, working part time and living the dream
  • jonnydeppiwish!
    Options
    I cannot stress how liberating being MF actual is. We got out of ‘keeping up with the neighbours’ last year when we realised the house, although in a beautiful location, was too big, as was the garden.

We sold to a downsizing couple (they had a 2,500 sq ft previously!) and just looked at other properties that we wouldn’t normally look at.

An ugly, small semi came back up for sale that we purchased cash, and had enough to put a decent sum away after renovating. We’re now in a really lovely, if a tad overcrowded, town with the harbour 700 metres walk away.

The kids have left home though, but in our early forties, we have the ability to do what we want, work when we want and enjoy it all without the pressure of having to.
  • grumiofoundation
    grumiofoundation Posts: 3,050 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    spoovy said:
    Mother in law.

What did you do to annoy her?
  • jonnydeppiwish!
    Options
    spoovy said:
    Mother in law.

What did you do to annoy her?
    Married her daughter?
  • Woolsery
    Woolsery Posts: 1,535 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    spoovy said:
    You certainly don't want to be familiar with my Mother in Law!
    The slightly longer answer is that it's not in the IMF's nature to predict anything bad.
    But to be specific, just take the US GDP for the first quarter of 2022 and you'll see it fell by 1.4%. That was against the prediction it would rise by 1%.
    Meanwhile, invesment in just about everything fell, which doesn't augur well for the rest of the year.  I dare say investment is being pumped into arms right now as the US embarks on a proxy war with Russia, but I think more bad than good will come out of that, especially now Russia is cutting fertilizer exports and threatening the petro-dollar by demanding payments in roubles. We're seeing major re-alignments in world trade, not to our advantage.
    Already US and British farmers are reeling under shortages in fertilizer and the high prices for the same, without which yields will fall dramatically. They're also being hammered with fuel prices. In the UK and Europe that means less home production in cooler months ofthe year. Even mainstream media and Biden himself are saying food shortages by the year's end. Does that sound like a buoyant situation?
    Then there's the strange melt-down in China which is resulting in more than just a shortage of cheap chips. President Xi cannot be wrong, so if Beijing goes into lockdown to prove he's right about zero Covid things there will go totally paridae-up. Shanghai is trying to move ships, but there's a massive log jam of containers that will take many months to sort out. Meanwhile, the Chinese housing boom is collapsing too. I suppose you've heard of Evergrande's problems?
    In the States and over here consumer prices have risen around 8% and dont show much sign of slowing down....and so on...I think there are about 6 countries that are likely to default on their debt payments any time soon and we're only just into May.

But yes, there will be people saying it's all just a blip. No one wants a sudden meltdown, especially not me as my funds are doing rather badly t present and they're supposed to be lower risk!
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback