PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Mortgage free or forever home?

Options

Comments

• movilogo
    movilogo Posts: 3,186 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    edited 29 April 2022 at 2:28PM
    Options
    Forever home is an elusive term. A house which satisfies you now may not do so in few years time if your circumstances change. Many lifestyle changes (whether intentional or not) may force you to move.
    Happiness is buying an item and then not checking its price after a month to discover it was reduced further.
  • housebuyer143
    housebuyer143 Posts: 3,434 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    markin said:
    Every one seems to be jumping to the conclusion that 'dream home' means Bigger!  An extra 50k - 200K could find a better location, a better view,  a nicer area, Or as simple as a bigger private garden
    Area first, always 👍 for me and I would pay for that.  I have the most incredible views but I have very little parking space. I have birdsong continually but only one loo. My walls are very thick but they're not straight. My dream home is someone else's nightmare 😬. 
    100% area over house anyday!
  • jenni_fer
    jenni_fer Posts: 529 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    We bought what I told everyone was our forever home 10 years ago

We're now mortgage free. But, we've also had kids and while on paper this house is big enough for us to sit back and enjoy being mortgage free, we feel like we're too young to do so and would benefit from a better school catchment too.

So we've been looking for 2 years, had a vendor pull out just before exchange last year and multiple stressful best and finals over the last few months...

Only you can decide what is right for you, we all have very different needs and opinions.
  • Sistergold
    Sistergold Posts: 2,034 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    edited 1 May 2022 at 9:50AM
    Options
    At the end of the day you still sit down to watch TV in one room , go to bed in another  & maybe cook in the kitchen 

I would always choose mortgage free 
    Oh I like this! Very true BUT? We then look at what kind of room what kind of kitchen? Humans we like to complicate things. 
    Initial mortgage bal £487.5k, current £266.8k, target £243,750(halfway!)
    Mortgage start date first week of July 2019,
    Mortgage term 23yrs(end of June 2042🙇🏽♀️), 
    Target is to pay it off in 10years(by 2030🥳). 
    MFW#10 (2022/23 mfw#34)(2021 mfw#47)(2020 mfw#136)
    £12K in 2021 #54 (in 2020 #148)
    MFiT-T6#27
    To save £100K in 48months start 01/07/2020 Achieved 30/05/2023 👯♀️
    Am a single mom of 4. 
    Do not wait to buy a property, Buy a property and wait. 🤓
  • Sistergold
    edited 1 May 2022 at 10:10AM
    Options
    What is not ideal is to keep loading on the debt for something bigger after a certain age I suppose? Initially though climbing up is good? At each stage I would only get a mortgage where I can easily overpay so that at each stage I have a bigger deposit also always aiming to be mortgage free. 
    You need to be very happy with where you live within your affordability always.

Having said that I always “stretch” myself when I am buying a house as I don’t want to be doing it too often. As have children I have always tried to get a bit bigger than I need house so we can spread out over the years without quickly needing to move. 
    MFiT-T6#27
    Am a single mom of 4. 
  • Zerforax
    Zerforax Posts: 355 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    jenni_fer said:
    We bought what I told everyone was our forever home 10 years ago

We're now mortgage free. But, we've also had kids and while on paper this house is big enough for us to sit back and enjoy being mortgage free, we feel like we're too young to do so and would benefit from a better school catchment too.

So we've been looking for 2 years, had a vendor pull out just before exchange last year and multiple stressful best and finals over the last few months...

Only you can decide what is right for you, we all have very different needs and opinions.
    Congrats on becoming mortgage free within 10 years!
    Yes kids always complicate things. We looked at a number of houses in one area which has fantastic schools but the house prices for the relative size didn't feel like great value.
    Are you looking for a bigger house + better catchment area or just better catchment area?
    What is not ideal is to keep loading on the debt for something bigger after a certain age I suppose? Initially though climbing up is good? At each stage I would only get a mortgage where I can easily overpay so that at each stage I have a bigger deposit also always aiming to be mortgage free. 
    You need to be very happy with where you live within your affordability always.

Having said that I always “stretch” myself when I am buying a house as I don’t want to be doing it too often. As have children I have always tried to get a bit bigger than I need house so we can spread out over the years without quickly needing to move. 
    Yes I know what you mean. I feel like we're still young as in our mid-30s hence feel a bit more relaxed about the size of mortgage. I think we can still easily get a 30 year term too.
    Agree with the latter, especially when at the higher prices, you're spending a large amount on stamp duty. Saw another property where the vendor is looking to sell after less than 6 months (15-20k on stamp duty) which makes me think there is a problem otherwise it's an expensive mistake when could've rented for 6 months!

• Sistergold
    edited 1 May 2022 at 12:30PM
    Options
    Yes the younger you are the more ground you can gain. Get the longest term and reduce it through overpayment. That way when times are hard you stick to paying less. 
    MFiT-T6#27
    Am a single mom of 4. 
  • nicknameless
    nicknameless Posts: 1,059 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    Zerforax said:
    onylon said:
    I think another factor is any other savings/investments you have. If practically all your savings are tied up in the house then it may be better to put your extra cash into an ISA and/or pension rather than a mortgage.
    Pension is doing okay I think but it's another one of those things where it massively varies for every person at how much they think is reasonable at a certain age! Not really bothered with ISA for a while and I saw even Martin Lewis was recently saying he would ditch an ISA for most people! No doubt we keep a good rainy day fund but probably would leave in a Chase saving account rather than ISA.
    ISAs are not just cash savings vehicles.  Stocks and shares ISA for long term (tax advantaged) investment outside of pensions.  Sure if Martin said that he was talking about cash ISAs and interest associated with those.

As with everything these decisions ideally should be taken in the round.

Do you have a long term financial / income plan i.e. beyond working life?
  • Atomix
    Atomix Posts: 346 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 1 May 2022 at 12:59PM
    Options
    Can only go on my experiences/thoughts. We are in our fourth house (moving up the ladder) detached four double beds, double garage, its not perfect / forever home, (it never will be, there will always be something) we will be mortgage free in x7 years. Both mid-40s 80k joint income, x2 kids. 

We could, remortgage/sell and buy a bigger house, quite easily - say add £250k to the current mortgage, but then the mortgage is £1200 a month for 20 years. We are currently overpaying our mortgage by £300 a month and the total is £1000 a month.

I personally would not want to risk, having to come up with £1200 a month for the next 20 years. When im 60 - i dont think i will be very employable - plus bigger house means:
    more council tax, more £££ to heat / run etc etc. 

that spare £1200 a month will be going in the pension, in x7 years time 👍🏼

• nicknameless
    nicknameless Posts: 1,059 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    Atomix said:
    Can only go on my experiences/thoughts. We are in our fourth house (moving up the ladder) detached four double beds, double garage, its not perfect / forever home, (it never will be, there will always be something) we will be mortgage free in x7 years. Both mid-40s 80k joint income, x2 kids. 

We could, remortgage/sell and buy a bigger house, quite easily - say add £250k to the current mortgage, but then the mortgage is £1200 a month for 20 years. We are currently overpaying our mortgage by £300 a month and the total is £1000 a month.

I personally would not want to risk, having to come up with £1200 a month for the next 20 years. When im 60 - i dont think i will be very employable - plus bigger house means:
    more council tax, more £££ to heat / run etc etc. 

that spare £1200 a month will be going in the pension, in x7 years time 👍🏼

Realise this is the wrong board but generally overpaying mortgages at low interest is not the best financial decision.  It might give peace of mind but it is generally tantamount to throwing money away long term.

Long term spare cash would be much better in investments or pensions (making use of tax relief) and benefit from compounding over time.

I would be tossing and turning at night thinking I was paying down a low interest debt vs tax relief in pensions and compounding of returns from investments.

If you don't need the spare cash do consider using it in another way to benefit you more long term, if only via pension saving.  Obviously if rates rise substantially there would be a tipping point for most.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback