PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Mortgage free or forever home?

Options
123457»

Comments

• nicknameless
    nicknameless Posts: 1,059 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    Megaross said:
    How did person B even get a 200k mortgage on £15k a year? I'd argue they would have had to have been earning sizably more money than person A for many years to have that level of wealth.
    Thanks for missing the point totally lol.

They moved to part-time obviously.
  • Zerforax
    Zerforax Posts: 355 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    Woolsery said:
    Zerforax said:
    We've now had an offer accepted on a smaller property where the mortgage will be a lot more manageable. Time will only tell what is the right decision but sometimes the market forces you hand!
    When you consider how much food and energy prices still have to rise, playing safe makes sense. I think there will be a few wild cards too, but I'm not talking about that here. It's enough to say some folks will probably regret being over-extended.
    Enjoy your new home.

Hopefully the stuff on the horizon tempers the market. Not convinced with our sellers as they seem they could be flaky.
  • Megaross
    Megaross Posts: 183 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 28 May 2022 at 11:45PM
    Options
    Megaross said:
    How did person B even get a 200k mortgage on £15k a year? I'd argue they would have had to have been earning sizably more money than person A for many years to have that level of wealth.

Exactly, person B was a higher earner. Entirely not comparable, besides, how will he remortgage when he's part time.

And anyway, person A - why has he opted out of a pension if he was on par with person B?

Not comparable
  • grumiofoundation
    Options
    Megaross said:
    Megaross said:

Exactly, person B was a higher earner. Entirely not comparable, besides, how will he remortgage when he's part time.

And anyway, person A - why has he opted out of a pension if he was on par with person B?

Not comparable
    I think the point was you can’t just take one aspect of finances in isolation - ie being mortgage free?

But if you do want an example of where an obsession with being mortgage free can be damaging financially. Someone I know opted out of their workplace pension to overpay their mortgage - despite explanations to the contrary they were adamant that being mortgage-free was the only financial security that mattered. 

To overpay an extra £2000 a year on their mortgage they sacrificed £6000 in their pension (10% Sal sac Matched by employer)?

On a side note at the end of a fixed term you are able ‘remortgage’ with the same lender (product switch) without going thorough full affordability (so won’t matter if you are part-time). 
  • Woolsery
    Woolsery Posts: 1,535 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    Zerforax said:
    Woolsery said:
    Zerforax said:
    We've now had an offer accepted on a smaller property where the mortgage will be a lot more manageable. Time will only tell what is the right decision but sometimes the market forces you hand!
    When you consider how much food and energy prices still have to rise, playing safe makes sense. I think there will be a few wild cards too, but I'm not talking about that here. It's enough to say some folks will probably regret being over-extended.
    Enjoy your new home.

Not convinced with our sellers as they seem they could be flaky.
    Perhaps they're getting different messages. Legacy media is still optimistic, as one might expect, considering who controls it. Look around elsewhere and things are not so rosy.

• nicknameless
    nicknameless Posts: 1,059 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    Megaross said:
    Megaross said:

Not comparable
    The whole point was their situations aren't comparable.  I think you might be on a wind up.
  • Megaross
    Megaross Posts: 183 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I'm just saying it seems like the situations where being mortgage free being a bad thing are fairly "out there"

Most people who want financial security in the form of being mortgage free aren't going to opt out of a pension. Both are significant things after all
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback