PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Mortgage free or forever home?

Options

Comments

• Sistergold
    Sistergold Posts: 2,034 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    It is well and good to be mortgage free but you need to still be in a reasonable accommodation. You need to keep moving (within affordability of cause) until you are in ideal house/location. Life is too short to be stuck in a place you hate just to be mortgage free? 
    Initial mortgage bal £487.5k, current £266.8k, target £243,750(halfway!)
    Mortgage start date first week of July 2019,
    Mortgage term 23yrs(end of June 2042🙇🏽♀️), 
    Target is to pay it off in 10years(by 2030🥳). 
    MFW#10 (2022/23 mfw#34)(2021 mfw#47)(2020 mfw#136)
    £12K in 2021 #54 (in 2020 #148)
    MFiT-T6#27
    To save £100K in 48months start 01/07/2020 Achieved 30/05/2023 👯♀️
    Am a single mom of 4. 
    Do not wait to buy a property, Buy a property and wait. 🤓
  • lookstraightahead
    lookstraightahead Posts: 5,551 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    My mantra in life (after houses and mortgages had previously got me into a lot of debt - I mean a lot, when things went wrong in my life), is just have enough to make you happy. Just enough. That changes with each person, I know, but it's stopped me over eating, buying things I don't need, having a house with extra rooms I don't use, buying a car just because it looks good etc.
    Someone said this to me once and I'm forever grateful.
  • custardly
    custardly Posts: 57 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I would always choose the better home. Mortgage free is overrated.
  • HRH_MUngo
    HRH_MUngo Posts: 877 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Mortgage free every time.
    I used to be seven-day-weekend
  • Ramouth
    Ramouth Posts: 659 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Thanks for the update and I’m glad you found somewhere.  If rates keep rising you might be glad you didn’t max out.  Wishing you a smooth purchase journey and every happinesses in your new home!
  • Woolsery
    Woolsery Posts: 1,535 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    Zerforax said:
    We've now had an offer accepted on a smaller property where the mortgage will be a lot more manageable. Time will only tell what is the right decision but sometimes the market forces you hand!
    When you consider how much food and energy prices still have to rise, playing safe makes sense. I think there will be a few wild cards too, but I'm not talking about that here. It's enough to say some folks will probably regret being over-extended.
    Enjoy your new home.

• Megaross
    Megaross Posts: 183 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Mortgage free any day.

Life is about more than slaving to buy that perfect house, to own a house is a relative necessity these days if you ever plan to retire. You've done it and now think, £300k instead of being spent on bricks and mortar could bring you years of memories worth much more. 

I'd personally use the savings to travel, live well and enjoy indulgences you wouldn't otherwise be able to afford. You won't wish you bought a nicer house on your deathbed - that's my take.
  • nicknameless
    nicknameless Posts: 1,059 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    Mortgage free is an utterly meaningless concept in and of itself in terms of financial security.

Person A mortgage free, annual earnt income of £15k, no savings, no private or employment related pension provision.

Person B £200k mortgage, annual earnt income of £15k, £200k savings, nice DB pension paying out in 60s.

Who would want to be Person A (in financial terms).

Exceedingly blunt example, but point made.

Why the obsession with being mortgage free and with mortgages as a key element of finances.  Plan lifetime finances - mortgage is only one element of that.
  • Megaross
    Megaross Posts: 183 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    How did person B even get a 200k mortgage on £15k a year? I'd argue they would have had to have been earning sizably more money than person A for many years to have that level of wealth.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback