Closing credit builder credit cards

Options
Hi 
im looking to close down my credit builder credit cards. I recently got a balance transfer with Virgin card, 18 months 0 interest and and am looking to do a balance transfer to amex after the 18 months either British airways or Amex direct.

i dont want too much credit be the reason to be denied an Amex card if that is even a thing.

current cards
capital one credit builder limit £450 since 2016
vanquis credit builder limit £850 (past month increased) since 2019
virgin 0% balance interest £1500 since March 2022

Is it wise to close the credit card builders or just the lowest amount (capital one)? I have had that one the longest but the credit is the lowest.

all credit cards are fully paid off so no outstanding balance. 

Please advise as i keep reading things and im very confused to close or not to close..Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Ebe_Scrooge
    Ebe_Scrooge Posts: 7,320 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Those are all pretty low limits.  So in terms of your available credit, they will have a negligible impact on future applications.  Long-standing, well-managed lines of credit are generally seen as a positive, so I'd be tempted to leave them open, use them once in a while to keep them active.
    Orees said:
    am looking to do a balance transfer to amex after the 18 months either British airways or Amex direct.
    Just be careful not to assume you'll be able to get another BT card after the 18 months.  If you are able to BT then great - but make sure you've got plans in place to repay the existing card in full when the promotional deal expires, there's no guarantee you'll be able to transfer any outstanding balance.

• Dobbibill
    Dobbibill Posts: 4,136 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Orees said:

Hi Orees - welcome to the forum.

If all cards are paid off with no outstanding balances - what is the purpose of the BT card? 

I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Budgeting & Bank Accounts, Credit Cards, Credit File & Ratings and Energy boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

If you can't be the best -
    Just be better than you were yesterday.
  • Orees
    Orees Posts: 9 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    Those are all pretty low limits.  So in terms of your available credit, they will have a negligible impact on future applications.  Long-standing, well-managed lines of credit are generally seen as a positive, so I'd be tempted to leave them open, use them once in a while to keep them active.
    Orees said:
    am looking to do a balance transfer to amex after the 18 months either British airways or Amex direct.
    Just be careful not to assume you'll be able to get another BT card after the 18 months.  If you are able to BT then great - but make sure you've got plans in place to repay the existing card in full when the promotional deal expires, there's no guarantee you'll be able to transfer any outstanding balance.

Hi yes all are paid off and the BT card has 500 outstanding which will be paid off by end of term for the BT. 

I am wondering if i close the other cards it will make me more eligible to transfer my balance aa my credit is lower and credit use is low .. with 3 active cards may be leas attractive to lenders then 2 cards well managed

• Orees
    First Post
    Options
    Dobbibill said:
    Orees said:

Hi Orees - welcome to the forum.

If all cards are paid off with no outstanding balances - what is the purpose of the BT card? 

The BT card was for the benefits of Virgin credit card as the credit builders dont have any benefits associated with them.  I spend on both card to transfer the outstanding to get a Virgin card.

the future BT card i would want is Amex due to its benefits and miles.

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 35,242 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    With such limited credit, keep all your cards open.
  • cymruchris
    cymruchris Posts: 5,323 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    As above - with three cards - and still relatively low limits - keep them open - keep spending and paying in full putting some transactions through on each of the cards every month. At your stage of the journey, stability is beneficial. I started in 2016 with a Vanquis card with if I recall a £400 limit, and it was my only card (Nobody else would accept me). I still have that Vanquis card, albeit with a £2000 limit (I know they do higher limits - but I scaled back using the card to one/two transactions a month to keep it alive). I've kept that card as it's my oldest card - and banks like longstanding accounts.

I'm now a few years down the line, and I have cards with the likes of Virgin, HSBC, Nationwide etc. and an overall credit limit in the region of the mid £30k's - still lower than many - but it takes time to build trust. It's a marathon, not a sprint. (And at this stage of my journey - Amex's own eligibility checker still only gives me 5/10 on their estimate of success - so I haven't tried for one yet)
    An ex-bankrupt on a journey of recovery. Feel free to send me a DM reference credit building credit cards from the usual suspects :) Happy to help others going through what I've been through!
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    You keep talking about doing a balance transfer to Amex, are you sure that is what you want to do? Do you simply mean you want an Amex card to do your normal spending with?
  • Orees
    First Post
    Options
    As above - with three cards - and still relatively low limits - keep them open - keep spending and paying in full putting some transactions through on each of the cards every month. At your stage of the journey, stability is beneficial. I started in 2016 with a Vanquis card with if I recall a £400 limit, and it was my only card (Nobody else would accept me). I still have that Vanquis card, albeit with a £2000 limit (I know they do higher limits - but I scaled back using the card to one/two transactions a month to keep it alive). I've kept that card as it's my oldest card - and banks like longstanding accounts.

I'm now a few years down the line, and I have cards with the likes of Virgin, HSBC, Nationwide etc. and an overall credit limit in the region of the mid £30k's - still lower than many - but it takes time to build trust. It's a marathon, not a sprint. (And at this stage of my journey - Amex's own eligibility checker still only gives me 5/10 on their estimate of success - so I haven't tried for one yet)
    Thank you this is very helpful. 
  • Orees
    First Post
    Options
    You keep talking about doing a balance transfer to Amex, are you sure that is what you want to do? Do you simply mean you want an Amex card to do your normal spending with?
    Hii
    yes i understand now i dont need a balance transfer and will have to see my eligibility for Amex over time for a card without balance transfer. 

Yes im looking to get Amex for everyday spending to take advantage of the miles.

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback