Modern washing machines

1235»

Comments

• ripplyuk said:
    ripplyuk said:
    It’s not ‘user error’. I’ve been using washing machines for over 30yrs. It’s only these recent ones that cause problems. The fact is that with less water, there is more friction on the clothes which leads to much more wear & tear. It also leads to more plastic fibres being washed down the drain which is not good for the environment. 

Many people won’t notice this and will just buy new clothes more often. Many will have never known any different so it wouldn’t occur to them. There’s also a large section of society that believes anything ‘new’ has to be better, ignoring all evidence to the contrary. Almost everyone I know has at some point in recent years complained about these same issues. The retailers I’ve spoken to have also told me the most common complaint they receive is about the washing machine not using enough water. 

So why don't you buy a washing machine that allows you to choose to add extra water to the wash cycle if that is your main complaint?

My washing machine allows me to change a variety of settings on each program and one of them is adding a lot more water during the wash cycle.
    @RogerBareford Which machine do you have? The only one I could find that could be programmed to add extra water was Miele, and unfortunately it was too deep to fit in the space I have. I know Bosch used to have an Aquaplus feature but the newer models don’t seem to have that. 

I have a Candy Washing Machine and the feature is also called Aquaplus (which is the same as hoover so they presumably have it too). The one i have is still a current model and even though it's not particularly expensive it does a good job.
  • coffeehound
    coffeehound Posts: 5,664 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Apologies if already mentioned, but could it be you are over-filling the drum?  This would be consistent with you saying clothes not being wetted in the middle.  If the drum is too heavy, it will sag on its springs, leading to gaps opening up between the drum and seals possibly causing clothes to get trapped in the gap and damaged
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback