Modern washing machines

Comments

• Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,651 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    My top end Bosch machine was bought December 2009.
    It has worked perfectly.
  • I have never experienced this type of thing in any machine I have owned or used.  It would seem to also be the experience of those that have answered and whilst not scientific, does suggest it is a user issue.  Certainly as the issues are with other machines and not just this one. 
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Got experience of 2 machine bought within the last year and 1 machine that was over 15 years old when it was replaced in November, the 1 that was replaced in November worked great all these years, the other 2 machines are doing what they do, wash clothes.
  • sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 19,030 Forumite
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    if washing  had metal parts these could have damaged the inside of the drum. This would lead to ripped and torn clothes as they are forced across a rough edge when spinning.

It seems odd the the OP is the only person buying machines that damage his clothes.

Looks more like user error.
  • ripplyuk
    ripplyuk Posts: 2,888 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    It’s not ‘user error’. I’ve been using washing machines for over 30yrs. It’s only these recent ones that cause problems. The fact is that with less water, there is more friction on the clothes which leads to much more wear & tear. It also leads to more plastic fibres being washed down the drain which is not good for the environment. 

Many people won’t notice this and will just buy new clothes more often. Many will have never known any different so it wouldn’t occur to them. There’s also a large section of society that believes anything ‘new’ has to be better, ignoring all evidence to the contrary. Almost everyone I know has at some point in recent years complained about these same issues. The retailers I’ve spoken to have also told me the most common complaint they receive is about the washing machine not using enough water. 
  • cajef
    cajef Posts: 6,266 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    ripplyuk said:
    It’s not ‘user error’. 
    Well as this thread has now run to four pages and you are the only one with this problem it would appear that despite all the claims in your post you are in a minority as others don't have any any issues with various makes of washing machines. 
  • ripplyuk said:
    It’s not ‘user error’. I’ve been using washing machines for over 30yrs. It’s only these recent ones that cause problems. The fact is that with less water, there is more friction on the clothes which leads to much more wear & tear. It also leads to more plastic fibres being washed down the drain which is not good for the environment. 

Many people won’t notice this and will just buy new clothes more often. Many will have never known any different so it wouldn’t occur to them. There’s also a large section of society that believes anything ‘new’ has to be better, ignoring all evidence to the contrary. Almost everyone I know has at some point in recent years complained about these same issues. The retailers I’ve spoken to have also told me the most common complaint they receive is about the washing machine not using enough water. 

So why don't you buy a washing machine that allows you to choose to add extra water to the wash cycle if that is your main complaint?

My washing machine allows me to change a variety of settings on each program and one of them is adding a lot more water during the wash cycle.
  • Norman_Castle
    Norman_Castle Posts: 11,871 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    ripplyuk said:

The damage you pictured doesn't look like wear, it looks like damage from a sharp object. I've got combat/walking trousers which are decades old. Worn regularly for walking, then cycling and now worn most days when at home, they will have had much more wear than your husbands 3 week old trousers even if yours were washed in a completely dry washing machine.

• Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,651 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    ripplyuk said:

The damage you pictured doesn't look like wear, it looks like damage from a sharp object. I've got combat/walking trousers which are decades old. Worn regularly for walking, then cycling and now worn most days when at home, they will have had much more wear than your husbands 3 week old trousers even if yours were washed in a completely dry washing machine.

I think it looks like damage from a sharp object too.
    OP - have you felt all around the drum to see if you can feel anything sharp?
    If the drum is ok, I'd be looking at what other items I washed at the same time to see what could have caused the damage.
  • ripplyuk
    ripplyuk Posts: 2,888 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    edited 2 March 2022 at 1:05PM
    ripplyuk said:

So why don't you buy a washing machine that allows you to choose to add extra water to the wash cycle if that is your main complaint?

My washing machine allows me to change a variety of settings on each program and one of them is adding a lot more water during the wash cycle.
    @RogerBareford Which machine do you have? The only one I could find that could be programmed to add extra water was Miele, and unfortunately it was too deep to fit in the space I have. I know Bosch used to have an Aquaplus feature but the newer models don’t seem to have that. 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback