Modern washing machines

Comments

• cajef
    cajef Posts: 6,266 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    We are on our second Bosch washing machine, the first lasted 15 years and our 6 month old second one has never exhibited any of the problems you claim yours has, both have worked and washed as we would expect any machine following the manufactures instructions. 
  • ripplyuk
    ripplyuk Posts: 2,888 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Emmia said:
    ripplyuk said:
    There’s nothing wrong with the water pressure/inlet etc. The pressure is excellent. The machine isn’t faulty either. It’s been the same since brand new and the same with the last two washers. My friends complain of the same issues and my granny has actually gone back to hand-washing a lot of things because she says she can do a better, quicker job herself. 

I think a lot of people have either got used to these rubbish modern machines or they never knew anything different so they don’t see a problem. 
    What brand and model is it? You don't seem to have specified...
    It’s a Bosch Serie 4 but like I said, the last two machines were equally bad (Zanussi and Hotpoint). 
  • Emmia
    Emmia Posts: 3,146 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Do you wash things with metal bits, e.g. zips, bras with hooks etc in with the load generally, or do you put them in a mesh zipped laundry bag when you wash them? 

What happens if you use a liquid detergent rather than a powder?
  • jimbo6977
    jimbo6977 Posts: 1,226 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    It's the modern way, where a machine supposedly knows better than its operator, what the operator wants. 

It started with car stereos only having a seek function, rather than the operator being able to tune to any frequency of their choice regardless of signal quality.

• lincroft1710
    lincroft1710 Posts: 17,614 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    jimbo6977 said:
    It's the modern way, where a machine supposedly knows better than its operator, what the operator wants. 

It started with car stereos only having a seek function, rather than the operator being able to tune to any frequency of their choice regardless of signal quality.

Not to mention automatic chokes, automatic gearboxes, windscreen wipers which automatically start when there are 3 drops of rain on the screen.
    If you are querying your Council Tax band would you please state whether you are in England, Scotland or Wales
  • anotheruser
    anotheruser Posts: 3,485 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    ripplyuk said:
    The temperature guide isn’t real. They often don’t reach those temperatures, and the manufacturers are allowed to get away with this by saying it cleans ‘as well as’ whatever temperature you’ve set it to. Eg a 40C wash might only reach 33C, and even that is only held for a few minutes. 
    How are you measuring this?

I think most of your ranty post is stuff you think rather than facts.
    More than happy to see your machine in action but if you've been through three in recent years, that significantly points to user error.

Ours has lasted 6 years so far and the one before that had 3 house moves and was good for 6 years before we gave it away.
    Two different makes.
  • Norman_Castle
    Norman_Castle Posts: 11,871 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Have you checked the inside of the drum for anything sharp. Its odd its happened on three different machines, is the damage always the same? Could it be happening before washing, is there something sharp in the washing basket?
  • Emmia
    Emmia Posts: 3,146 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Have you checked the inside of the drum for anything sharp. Its odd its happened on three different machines, is the damage always the same? Could it be happening before washing, is there something sharp in the washing basket?
    I did wonder about metal zips, bra hooks etc. which can cause issues - my bras are popped into mesh delicates bags for washing to avoid damaging other items.
  • ripplyuk
    Emmia said:
    Do you wash things with metal bits, e.g. zips, bras with hooks etc in with the load generally, or do you put them in a mesh zipped laundry bag when you wash them? 

What happens if you use a liquid detergent rather than a powder?
    I hand wash bras because they’d never survive the machine. I do wash things with zips in it eg: jeans. Obviously zipped up but not in a mesh bag. 

I use both powder and liquid detergents for different things. I haven’t noticed any difference in the wash performance. 
  • ripplyuk
    @anotheruser The previous machines were not broken. I decided to replace them because of all these problems. I initially assumed these particular machines were just rubbish and I should try a different brand but now I’ve realised they’re all much the same these days. 

@Norman_Castle It’s just a plastic laundry basket. There’s nothing in it except laundry and nothing sharp I can see in the machine. Most of the damage I’ve noticed is loose threads but some stuff has been torn. It seems to depend on how durable the material is. Thick jeans cope fine but thin cotton t-shirts or anything polyester doesn’t do so well. Those cargo pants were very strong and durable though so I was surprised to see it damaged them. 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback