We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

From £6000 ----> £9000 in 2023.

Options

Comments

• NinjaSavingKat
    NinjaSavingKat Posts: 3,382 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 13 March 2022 at 9:59AM
    Options

Good day one and all. Seems like Sunday morning is the only time I have to concentrate and fill in this wee box..

So.. a recap on the week. All went swimmingly until we realised the cost of heating oil in our area has gone from around £400 to over £1100. We won't be buying any more for a while so I am reliant on coal and wood to heat the house. This won't last long as it will progressively get warmer however the coal is going from £8.75 a (25kg) bag to £12.05 by this coming Friday apparently.

I stocked up - bought 10 bags. My little car lugged it home, over hill over dale. I won't be getting any more so one will be wearing multiple layers as one usually does and wash dishes once a week with the kettle. I had sticks delivered last year and they are still going strong. Almost tempted to buy another load when I have some more money to burn....get it..;-)

Car insurance was lowered by existing firm to £297. I am happy with sub- £300 and once re-jigged quotes elsewhere to match the errors I made with the original comparison I was quoted over £400. So I let it go and am still with Admiral. Suits me fine, that money was mostly there ready to go. 

Long-term is down by coal money so I am currently at £300. Will be adding £100 a week now plus 4 weeks of donations from the "other" account. Which will be £140. With a further £400 in the next 4 weeks I will be looking at this total being around £840 by the end of the week of my Birthday (April 5th). I will top this up to a nice rounded £850.

Purchased items required each month or so in bulk from Dolphin Fitness. Pre-workout, a cheap protein powder, supplements etc.. I don't like having to consider this every month, I would rather have it ready to go for a few months in advance. Plus there are massive discounts when buying 6 nutritional yeast tubs (£2) together rather than Tesco/Asda - £3.15 per tub. 

I have yet to hear from the pet insurance company. Will be chasing that up tomorrow. 

Cat stopped eating yesterday - will see what she is like later today then call the vet. I am very worried, she is hiding away under the table to sleep and not than bothered about her Dreamies (cat treats). This can be a sign of a few cat illnesses and leaving her for more than 24 hours without eating is never recommended. We shall see. Food left out last night and not touched but she was still excited about treats this morning just didn't finish them. 

Sold one item on Vinted which was sent yesterday - that's a healthy £12...haha! Also money will be coming in for feeding a colleagues cat while he was on holiday so that is usually £25.

I am now the assistant manager and will have to dress like one. This money will go to replace the £50 mother gave me for shoes which I spent on flowers for my Dad when Granny died (plus batteries for the fire alarms in the house @ £8)..pennies left over went on the fuel to accommodate horrendous petrol prices.

I am also on a strict calorie counted diet the moment. I know what I am doing. 2000 strict. Eating plain and simply. Enough available in the house for next 2 weeks. Food money will supplement stocking cupboard with some staples (prepper alert) this coming Friday. I need to lose some bodyfat so I can use the expensive trousers I bought for work that I no longer fit into...Hahahhaa!.....and I am too heavy right now...;-)

Am attempting to be super careful with petrol. I am down to half a tank. I have worked out mileage and will be doing what I can to cut down on travel. I live 2.2 miles from work but have an unreliable road bike...but could do it on Mondays as I start and finish when it is relatively light. Otherwise a hideously busy road has to be manoeuvred.

However I have walked it before. Absolutely amazingly beautiful walk... despite that busy road bit. I might actually do that from now one - at least twice a week. Like I said have done it before and have the right equipment to wear etc.  

Small goals. 
    “Nothing in this world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent".
  • NinjaSavingKat
    edited 13 March 2022 at 9:45AM
    Options
    Growing is my thing and I've a good supplier for my seeds, quite cheap and reliable results. If you can find one they're so worth it, keep back some seeds for sowing and from your produce.

Pop over to the gardening section as there's quite a few of us who do no dig.

Fruit bushes I picked up from A1D1, got more from my go to nursery as I've a ton of vouchers to get through. I even managed to get some fruit trees last year, although it will be a couple of years before I'll be eating anything off them. Mine will be cross pollinated by others within a few doors either side or self-pollination.

No doubt you've people to seed swap and plant swap with, if not it's always worth joining a few local groups, or become friendly at a couple of allotments.

I don't use seed compost, it's another expense and one our forefathers wouldn't have had the benefit of. Most get down directly into the ground rather than starting inside.

Sandwich bags tied over the pots, plastic takeaway tubs or tupaware tubs or bottles act as propagators, if you've got them or can find them for free they'll work and it's how I did it last year.

I'm aiming for more winter store items, chutneys and jams this year. 

It will be good to see how you get on and swap ideas 😊

So - I didn't respond to this. 

I have my seeds collected from my dad's stash, Lidls and the front of magazines. I don't have anyone to swap with and don't want to highlight too much of what I am up to at home. One colleague already said to me "I know where I am going to go if there is an apocalypse - you're house". Next time she says it I will be asking what she has to barter with..?

We have no allotments around here (rural Northern Ireland) and not many neighbours grow anything. One has chickens so when the family want eggs we could swap out some veggies with her. 

I am off work tomorrow to see out a little annual leave - I will be tackling the manure heap that needs to be on top of one of the bed I cleared by hand. Twice. Damn weeds.

We have lots of soil to play with but this one occasion, as its so cold here no matter what you do I wanted to give my little seeds a chance and more than anything see if actual seedling soil makes a difference. Will need a considerable amount more basic soil though for the neglected beds we have. And more manure. 

Yes, wee bags, tubs from tomatoes etc all make great planters. You have me thinking now. I will get into the greenhouse tomorrow and plant more radishes and salad laves etc. We have kale, leeks and strawberries/blueberries in there right now so time to fill it up. Strawberry runners are coming along nicely, revived from the dead where I left them in the cold. Whoops!

Chutneys and jams - great idea. Do you have a double boiler, how do you preserve them or do you freeze them?

We have mature apple trees, and a few pear trees that haven't really done anything. Plum trees are a good height but need a solid pruning, and have some sort of disease which has prevented eating them this year. One damson tree was blown over as well.

My Dad and Mum are returning in a few weeks for a few weeks. We will hit the garden between us as I have 3 days off work from the 28th (more forced annual leave) and it will be easier to plan between me and Pa, with Mumsy looking after the cooking..lol. 

It took all my strength not to buy a dehydrator last night. It was in my basket (£249) with 9 drawers. I have wanted one for the last few years and always stopped myself as I need to use cash no credit card... #sheislearning
    “Nothing in this world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent".
  • Skint_yet_Again
    Options
    Growing all sounds fab. It’s great that you will see your parents and they can help 🤗

well done on resisting spending. Maybe you could set up a pot for the dehydrator and put in vinted sales etc 
    0% credit card £1360 & 0% Car Loan £7500 ~ paid in full JAN 2020 = NOW DEBT FREE 🤗
    House sale OCT 2022 = NOW MORTGAGE FREE 🤗
    House purchase completed FEB 2023 🥳🍾 Left work. 🤗

Retired at 55 & now living off the equity £10k a year (until pensions start at 60 & 67).

Previous Savings diary https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/5597938/get-a-grip/p1

Living off savings diary
    https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/6429003/escape-to-the-country-living-off-savings/p1
  • NinjaSavingKat
    Options

Hello @Skint_yet_Again.... I have tried a "dehydrator pot". Then something turns up that is more important and its gets forwarded to that. Even now petrol is a priority.

However I will sit down and see what I can do. I need to push Vinted a little more. Load more items. I have done this before. When I wanted a new camera before I went travelling I sold £300 worth of stuff to pay for it. It can be done. Great idea! 
  • MovingForwards
    MovingForwards Posts: 17,023 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    You've done well with the budget, see if there's a way of scavenging more wood, not sure aby the weather or what the local council are up to but there's definitely a lot ripe for taking and storing up here!

I do 'barter' with neighbours, friends and family, it works well for all of us. They get veg plants or flowering plants, a garden makeover with ongoing maintenance, or just general help. In return I've received preserved food from the produce, money, beer, patio furniture, garden supplies and general household items. 

If your neighbour doesn't do anything with the chicken deposits, ask if you can have it. Build a compost area and let it rot down, some can get added to your normal compost area as the heat will help it along. We have guinea pig deposits from two people now. 

I'm not into the 'modern' way of doing things, it's proper old school pots and pans, low oven temperatures or hung up air drying before going in a jar. I work from an old cookery book, I picked it up a couple of years ago for under £3, it's the same as my mom used and promotes seasonal cooking, growing and foraging to eat well.
    Mortgage started 2020, aiming to clear it in 2026.
  • duesouthtwin2
    duesouthtwin2 Posts: 89 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 22 March 2022 at 7:24PM
    Options
    Little wittering update from me to keep me on track. First month living at my brothers has gone well. No rent to pay means I can put £1500 towards my Lisa so total with bonus’s I’ll have there is £6875. Got 2 overtime shifts booked over the next two days. Staying with a friend in Surrey for a few days for a little holiday but she is totally aware of my financial journey she will pay for our food etc which is so lovely. I budgeted £350 for petrol/food for the month until pay day on the 20th so that’s working out to be about £12 a day. Still got 3/4 a tank of fuel but I’m not driving much at the mo as I get free travel to work. Aiming for no takeaways this month and taking packed lunches to work every single shift I do. Using the bargains and loyalty points from Tesco/Sainsburys. No frivolous spending  and I’ve gone through and edited down to essential bills only. I’ve got a budget book and I actually worked out a new budget for living at my brothers. I don’t need new clothes and I’m selling a bit on Vinted. Keeping my motivation up by watching financial videos on You Tube. BBC IPlayer has a good programme called Shop Well for Less.  Hope you are all well! NSK your old posts really help me stay on track <3  
    Debt free. House deposit £60k. Aim for £70k. 2024/2025- move to Scotland. Overtime at work. 2028- buy a horse
  • duesouthtwin2
    Options
    On OT today and I took a packed lunch. Everyone else made fun of me for this and spend about £10 each on Nandos’s- which we had to leave as we got busy and it was cold and stale later on when they tried to eat it. Victory for the frugal packed lunch! 
    Debt free. House deposit £60k. Aim for £70k. 2024/2025- move to Scotland. Overtime at work. 2028- buy a horse
  • NinjaSavingKat
    Options
    Hello @duesouthtwin2.. so lovely to here from you.

I am overdue an update but that may have to wait as I am about to go to bed. #loser. I am so glad you are sticking to your guns about a packed lunch - ( have never gone out without my packed lunch, and ALWAYS bring it to work!!!).

People who make fun of you and waste money possibly live with Mum and Dad and don't think about money or won't until its too late. I like eating my own food anyway. Eating out is a treat to be saved for a time when you can relax right?

Take out's are a waste of money too - we had a Dominoes on the day of Granny's funeral. Nearly £40 for 4 adults. We've sworn never to go back - Tesco do some nice vegan ones which I prefer for £3...lol!

Gotta get my cash together. You have a little more to play with than me but I always think its good to sit down and reset on things. 

I sold a £12 pair of shoes on Vinted and got £20 for the cat sitting. She kept hissing at me. Lol! 

I watch YouTube videos too.. very interesting and a fantastic way to keep you on track when you see how bacK things could get. 

Keep up the great work! 
  • NinjaSavingKat
    Options
    Soooooooooooo... everything squared away. ONLY £385 in the long term savings. Should be £600..🙄..

Time for a rehash tonight. 
  • MovingForwards
    MovingForwards Posts: 17,023 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    All helps and is still a good amount.
    Mortgage started 2020, aiming to clear it in 2026.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 344.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.5K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 610K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 249.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback