PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

The all new using what you have from your Freezer, Cupboard or Shed (Barn)

Options

Comments

• Cherryfudge
    Cherryfudge Posts: 10,691 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Meal plan for today: DH has taken his usual packed lunch to work and will have cold chicken, potatoes and probably peas and gravy for dinner. I'm working this evening so we will eat separately: one meal for me will be crispbreads with the remains of a tin of tuna and some avocado, then one of the remaining coffee and walnut muffins. My other meal will be spaghetti with the rest of the pesto and some cheese, and probably salad.

I feel satisfied that despite having vouchers for cheese and tomatoes, I resisted both as we have plenty. I hope they send out the offers again when we run low as cheese is so expensive now. On the other hand, it's better for my cholesterol not to have too much. They say a piece the size of a matchbox is enough for one day. That's not huge!

I took the cinnamon buns out of the freezer so DH is having those today and tomorrow, and then I think we are almost ready for another baking session. I've frozen the rest of the cooked chicken: it will go into pies or pasta or something.

The other food things for today will be looking for the recipe for which I bought the kale. That could be a slow cooker thing to make tomorrow.
    I think a bit of sunshine is good for frugal living. (Cranky40)
    The sun's been out and I think I’m solar powered (Onebrokelady)

Fashion on the Ration challenge, 2024: Trainers 5 coupons, dress 7 coupons = 12/68
    20.5 coupons used in 2020. 62.5 used in 2021. 94.5 remaining as of 21/3/22
  • crazybunnylady4
    crazybunnylady4 Posts: 72 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Cherryfudge - that's so baaa-d 🤣🙄
    It's taken me till morning to process this and now I feel sheepish. :) 
    Teehee. Notice how no one else is interacting with us @cherryfudge.
    They must have herd the jokes before. 
  • Cherryfudge
    Options

They think we're baa-my.

Today I finished the pesto, tuna and coleslaw and turned the goats' milk into ricotta. I've never made it before and it was quite easy, though I think it needs a bit more salt. I only put a pinch in. I used half a dozen lemon wedges out of the freezer to supply the curdling element. I've now got about 500ml of whey to make into something, but I don't fancy scones and there's not space to freeze it.

Fashion on the Ration challenge, 2024: Trainers 5 coupons, dress 7 coupons = 12/68
  • crazybunnylady4
    crazybunnylady4 Posts: 72 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    Options

They think we're baa-my.
    I think I should get out of this thread now and leave it sheep-shape. XD
  • Pollie
    Pollie Posts: 215 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Whey can be stored for several months in airtight container in fridge. It can be used to water acid loving plants too.
  • Cherryfudge
    Options
    Thanks @Pollie! It's amazing that milk doesn't last long unless heat-treated, but things made from it do last.

I've just finished the hummus and I think DH is making chicken pie for us tonight.

• Cairnpapple
    Cairnpapple Posts: 173 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Our milk got left on the doorstep for quite a while on Thursday because we forgot it was milk day, luckily it has been cold here! Used the end of it to make pancakes today and took milk out of the freezer to see us to Monday. 

Sausages out of the freezer which will probably go with some pasta later. 
  • Cherryfudge
    Options
    Two meals from the fresh chicken I froze last week (still some for another day) but we finished the breadcrumbed fish over the weekend. Still lots of fruit and veg, but some is finished. This afternoon I added y/s Southern Fried chicken and sausages to the freezer and DH is making a curry using some frozen root ginger and madras paste that has been on the fridge since Adam was a lad, but seems good as new.

I've had to chuck some yogurt out and replace it. :( The coffee and walnut muffins are finished and DH is begging for mercy going to have pastries instead this week. I've also bought more salad stuff, thinking to use it when my friends are here tomorrow, then later remembered one of them is bringing the salad so I'll have to text her and explain I was on autopilot!

• LotsOfTea
    LotsOfTea Posts: 77 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I'm back from a week away on holiday and back in the using things up mindset.  I had a few bits of veg that had been left in the fridge while we were away so I did a load of roasted veg and also whipped up a "keema" curry with a bag of veggie mince from the freezer and the fresh spinach, coriander and mint that were going a bit wilty. 

I also used up half a pack of halloumi that was leftover in the fridge for fajitas with pepper, onion and spices for my and DH's lunch today which was delicious and I'm debating whether to use the keema for tea or to save it for when I'm tired after work tomorrow.

I'm still using up my stash of tinned fruit on breakfasts and this morning I opened a tin of fruit cocktail. It's much more disappointing than I remember as a kid! 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 344.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.6K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 610.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.9K Life & Family
  • 249.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback