PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

The all new using what you have from your Freezer, Cupboard or Shed (Barn)

Options

Comments

• Pollie
    Pollie Posts: 214 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Not been lucky enough to see any kohlrabi where I live yet. Love it roasted.
    If you have any ham stock or stock cubes, a tin of mushy peas and a chopped potato makes a nice pea and ham soup.
  • LotsOfTea
    LotsOfTea Posts: 77 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Kohlrabi is great in coleslaw too - lovely and crunchy! Good idea about making the peas into soup although being of the vegetarian persuasion I reckon I could use veggie stock and maybe a little bit of smoked paprika instead of ham stock. I'll give it a try once I've got through the large amount of soup I made today. 😁
  • Cherryfudge
    Cherryfudge Posts: 10,688 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Darn it, @LotsOfTea, I have eaten healthily today and now I want chips! Proper chip shop ones! Even though I'm full.

@Pollie, thanks for the pea and ham soup idea: I have all those ingredients and some need to be used up.

I had my friends round yesterday for pizzas and salad followed by some luscious sweet treats from the bakery, courtesy of one of my friends. They also helped me finish the sweet potato fries. This morning I had cold pizza for breakfast. :) Lunch finished up the prepared salad with some tuna left over from finishing the avocado. Pudding was the last of the vanilla slices. (Yum...) The fridge is still far too full but I think most of it is now healthy food.

I bought sausages and southern fried chicken the other day (now frozen) so DH had chicken for his evening meal today while I was working. I had crudites and hummus before work and coronation chickpeas afterwards.

Tomorrow I will need to have a sort out because things need to be eaten up or cooked into something. There's still a Cos lettuce and cherry tomatoes, at least half a punnet of green grapes, the rest of the chickpea mix, some hummus, lots of carrots, a bit of beetroot, the rest of the crudites, blueberries, ricotta, kale, peppers, yogurt and some pate... that's the fresh stuff in the fridge.

Outside of the fridge there are lemons, mushrooms, eggs and two mangoes to use up, but the mangoes are the most urgent. I really need to keep away form the excellent discounts around lunchtime at our local Sains.

It's also elderflower time so I might make cordial or sorbet (hence lemons).
    I think a bit of sunshine is good for frugal living. (Cranky40)
    The sun's been out and I think I’m solar powered (Onebrokelady)

Fashion on the Ration challenge, 2024: Trainers 5 coupons, dress 7 coupons = 12/68
    20.5 coupons used in 2020. 62.5 used in 2021. 94.5 remaining as of 21/3/22
  • Cherryfudge
    Options
    I didn't get very far with the fridge sorting but I've finished the coronation chickpeas, hummus, carrot sticks and celery. DH added a pepper to the tuna pasta for tea and is planning to use the other Southern friend chicken pieces tomorrow. It's all progress.

I also came across Miser's Marmalade so I've chopped and frozen some satsuma peel in the hope of making it.

Fashion on the Ration challenge, 2024: Trainers 5 coupons, dress 7 coupons = 12/68
  • Cherryfudge
    Options
    Today so far I've used odds and ends in an omelette and frozen the remaining peppers. The rest of the beetroot also went into lunch and I've added salt to the ricotta as it was very dull and wasn't getting eaten. Might try it again later once the salt has (hopefully) been absorbed.

I also opened a tin of mixed beans, intending to add some to the omelette, then forgot to use them, so I might be inventing a ricotta and bean something later.

• Cherryfudge
    Options
    The mixed beans mentioned above were turned into my first-ever home-made hummus, which was a good move as I was very happy with it and have had quite a few lunches from it.

The ricotta is still waiting to be eaten - I'm not sure how long it keeps.

Today I came across some pepperoni that's been in the freezer for ages so I added a bit to a vegetable fry-up with salmon and chips. It worked well, so the rest of the pepperoni may now get used over time.

I've taken some chicken out to make curry tomorrow, and I'm gradually building a stock of chopped citrus peel in the freezer to make 'miser's marmalade'. DH tells me he's used up the frozen peppers but there are now more fresh ones in the fridge.

Things needing to be used up soon now include ricotta (if okay), lettuce, avocado, grapes, stilton, pate and eggs.

• LotsOfTea
    LotsOfTea Posts: 77 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Once you've made your own hummus and realised how easy it is and how much you get from one tin of chickpeas or whatever other beans you use it's a revelation! When I make it I freeze some because you get so much. It just needs a stir after defrosting and it's good to go.

We had burgers yesterday for tea as we've got tons of beef ones in the freezer from a Costco trip a few months ago and I was pretty sure I had plenty of veggie burgers in there as well but it took me ages to find the damn things. I seriously need to properly organise the freezer once I've used enough stuff up from there to be able to move things around properly. Mine (the veggie one) was nicely flavoured (Thai green curry spiced) but a bit dry round the edges once cooked which I think indicates it had been lurking in there too long. 

I've got a few different leftovers to use up in the next few days, some rice, some squash & chickpea curry, some spiced courgette soup, and some tomato & veggie sausage pasta. After that I will see what else I can hoik it of the freezer and use up.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 344.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.6K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 610.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.9K Life & Family
  • 249.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback