PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

The all new using what you have from your Freezer, Cupboard or Shed (Barn)

Options

Comments

• Cherryfudge
    Cherryfudge Posts: 10,691 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    @Nellbell21 - I hope it all goes well! To make it irresistible to humans, add smoked bacon, mash and fried onions. :) Obvs. not for puppies though. 

If the weather turns hot and sunny, you can thank me for queuing up the winter comfort foods. 

And I had no idea you can microwave meringues, @Pollie. What a useful piece of knowledge in this season of summer fruits and cream... I had better not try it just yet as I have bought meringues in the cupboard, but it's very worth knowing, and pancakes are a good idea as I could freeze some.
    I think a bit of sunshine is good for frugal living. (Cranky40)
    The sun's been out and I think I’m solar powered (Onebrokelady)

Fashion on the Ration challenge, 2024: Trainers 5 coupons, dress 7 coupons = 12/68
    20.5 coupons used in 2020. 62.5 used in 2021. 94.5 remaining as of 21/3/22
  • Cherryfudge
    Options
    Today I've finished up some pate and some hummus but bought an indulgent lot of fruit as Sains was marking a lot down to half price despite it being only 2pm. So there are strawberries, avocados, oranges, satsumas and cherries for treats over the next few days, as well as a dozen eggs (posher than normally bought for £1.49. I still have two or three from the last box but these are in date till 10th, so I will undoubtedly be having scrambled eggs soon.

There are also some dry goods for the store cupboard.

Meal planning this week has gone to pot as we had one of those weather-house days - if you remember the little ornamental houses people used to have where the chap with the umbrella used to come out for rain and the lady came out for fine weather? We were like that today - not in at the same time for meals so DH got himself salmon fishcakes and I finished up bits and pieces. Tomorrow I'm going to my friend's for pizza, on Wednesday DH and I are both home then on Thursday and Friday we both have work. With only Wednesday together, I might make something casserole-y that one or both of us can have on another day too. I still have milk to use up and am thinking of trying to make ricotta, and the other milk can be a rice pudding (surprise, surprise).

Fashion on the Ration challenge, 2024: Trainers 5 coupons, dress 7 coupons = 12/68
  • Moveablesheep
    Options
    I have lbs of redcurrants and elderberries in the freezer. Hopefully I will find some plums in it as well. My husband remarked that all the home-made jam had been used, so I shall try to make more to restock the cupboard.
  • Cherryfudge
    Options
    I have blackberries and a few other remnants of soft fruit, @Moveablesheep - we never get through all the blackberries before the new season starts! I love your user name, by the way, but am very curious about why a sheep couldn't be moveable. :D 

• Cherryfudge
    Options
    I went a bit crazy today. In addition to the remnants of yesterday's salad I now have even more fruit, some of which needs fridge storage. I also got y/s chicken so several portions are wrapped individually, labelled (!) and frozen, and I've slow cooked a small whole chicken for our evening meal. There's enough left for a couple more meals, I think, and some little potatoes too as I batch-cooked them.

Then due to special offers, I've stuffed more things in the store cupboard: DH will have to live off tea and crisp breads as I got them for him, and I will eat oatcakes. I also got kale for a recipe which I've now mislaid, so I have a couple of days to find it before the kale goes yellow. It takes up disproportionately much fridge space!

• crazybunnylady4
    crazybunnylady4 Posts: 72 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    I have blackberries and a few other remnants of soft fruit, @Moveablesheep - we never get through all the blackberries before the new season starts! I love your user name, by the way, but am very curious about why a sheep couldn't be moveable. :D 
    Delurking to say that I'm sure there's a joke in there somewhere....can come up with one for cows (moo-veable, sorry...) but not sheep. 
  • Cherryfudge
    Options
    Delurking to say that I'm sure there's a joke in there somewhere....can come up with one for cows (moo-veable, sorry...) but not sheep. 
    'Ramming' the point home there, @crazybunnylady4? Ewe have to be careful... it's too easy to get drawn into lamb-pooning people. :D 

• crazybunnylady4
    crazybunnylady4 Posts: 72 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    'Ramming' the point home there, @crazybunnylady4? Ewe have to be careful... it's too easy to get drawn into lamb-pooning people. :D 
    @Cherryfudge - that's so baaa-d 🤣🙄
  • Cherryfudge
    Options
    Cherryfudge - that's so baaa-d 🤣🙄
    It's taken me till morning to process this and now I feel sheepish. :) 

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 344.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.6K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 610.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.9K Life & Family
  • 249.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure