PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

The all new using what you have from your Freezer, Cupboard or Shed (Barn)

Options

Comments

• Cherryfudge
    Cherryfudge Posts: 10,447 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    If the two days is due to soaking the fruit, I expect it will be very moist and delish. I hope it all works out well.
    I think a bit of sunshine is good for frugal living. (Cranky40)
    The sun's been out and I think I’m solar powered (Onebrokelady)

Fashion on the Ration challenge, 2024: Trainers 5 coupons, dress 7 coupons = 12/68
    20.5 coupons used in 2020. 62.5 used in 2021. 94.5 remaining as of 21/3/22
  • JIL
    JIL Posts: 8,713 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Teabags. My aunt visited for a few days. We went out and stopped for refreshments. She asked for strong tea. It came in a teapot, one teabag. She asked for another, no water just a teabag. She was charged an additional 80p. 

• Cherryfudge
    Options
    Eek, @JIL, that's steep (sorry about the pun) - a solitary tea bag in already-cooling water isn't going to improve things much, is it?

Fashion on the Ration challenge, 2024: Trainers 5 coupons, dress 7 coupons = 12/68
  • Cairnpapple
    Cairnpapple Posts: 161 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Made the gluten free teabread which used up some more dried fruit, some gluten free flour (good because I don't get through it terribly quickly) and another teabag :smile:

It looks identical to the normal one but might be a bit more crumbly, we'll find out tomorrow. 
  • Cherryfudge
    Options
    Last night's tea was those store cupboard favourites, lentil and chorizo soup followed by rice pudding. In fact there's enough of each to feed us both another day. I've also taken chicken out of the freezer and DH will make 'Chicken and...' pie for lunch, so we might use up some freezer veg too.

While I was cooking last night, I had a lazy look at one of the larder shelves and realised it's become a repository for things that need to be used up. There are various things in jars looking nice but getting ignored, so here's the list:

cous cous (out of date and I have a feeling it didn't taste right which is why I bought more - so it needs a decision) 
    onion powder
    butter beans
    marzipan
    oatmeal
    custard powder
    stout
    mixed dried fruit
    prunes
    desiccated coconut
    spaghetti

I've made a start - porridge for breakfast and enough left for tomorrow too.

The mixed dried fruit keeps well and gets used, as does the custard, so I'm not worried about them.

Prunes - maybe have as snacks?

Stout - there's just the one bottle left and it's not inspiring. It was bought to go in Christmas puddings but I bought those in the sale in January so any ideas what else I could cook with it?

Onion powder was bought because I'd seen a recipe that called for it and now I've no idea what that was. Might put a bit in the pie today and see if it works, but we have lots of fresh onions to eat too.

Spaghetti - there must be something other than Bolognese, surely? I'm really not a traditional Bolognese fan.

I have cooked pulses in the freezer so (thinking aloud) if I use some frozen lentils to make a veggie Bolognese, I could replace them with butter beans, batch cooked and ready for a butterbean and chorizo stew.

Desiccated coconut - time to get baking I suppose. I bought eggs and jam yesterday, so baking may happen.

Meanwhile DH has decided he didn't really like the soya milk so he bought orange juice to wash down his cereal and there are part-cartons of goats' milk and soya milk in the fridge as well as my cows' milk, which I will get through in the normal course of things. Any ideas for the others, please?

• Cairnpapple
    Cairnpapple Posts: 161 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Stout makes a stunning pulled pork, I'll have a look for my recipe. Or beef and ale casserole/pie.

We use butter beans instead of chicken in Jack Monroe's chicken mandarin tagine, freezes very well.  https://oursouthend.wordpress.com/2013/08/19/spiced-chicken-and-mandarin-tagine-64p/

I'd do spaghetti with a fresh pesto and some nice mushrooms. 
  • Cherryfudge
    Options
    You're a star, @Cairnpapple. I really want spaghetti with pesto now! Oh, and mushrooms - oh yes please!

DH will thank you for the beef and ale idea. :) His favourite. :) 

And I love Moroccan-inspired things, but I've never tried Jack's version so I'll have a look at that.

DH is on with the 'Chicken and... pie' now, but I generally prefer vegetable-based dishes so I've sneaked in as much freezer road-kill as possible: odds and ends of peppers, peas and cherry tomatoes. Then I found a bag of seeds that I remember saving and putting in to vernalise. Wish I'd labelled them! I think they may be strawberries, but I won't find out unless they get planted and manage to germinate.

Anyone else have non-food items in their freezer? My mum probably had some sort of record as her friend found a dead gannet and asked Mum to put it in our big freezer till she could have it stuffed! This was way back, not everyone had a huge freezer or a friend who would see the potential in a deceased bird, but eventually the friend retrieved it and had it prepared properly, and it was beautiful (and it gave us as children the opportunity to handle a creature we might never come into contact with otherwise. I still remember how very soft the feathers were).

• Pollie
    Pollie Posts: 210 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    This would also use up stout: Vegetarian Irish Stew | Kara Lydon
  • stymied
    stymied Posts: 572 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Onion powder is good in potato bake 😋
Meet your Ambassadors