PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

The all new using what you have from your Freezer, Cupboard or Shed (Barn)

Options

Comments

• Cherryfudge
    Cherryfudge Posts: 10,691 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    The ginger is safely in the freezer. :)

Today I've used up some sausages and a few sour cherries (won't be buying either of those particular ones again) and haven't bought anything.
    I think a bit of sunshine is good for frugal living. (Cranky40)
    The sun's been out and I think I’m solar powered (Onebrokelady)

Fashion on the Ration challenge, 2024: Trainers 5 coupons, dress 7 coupons = 12/68
    20.5 coupons used in 2020. 62.5 used in 2021. 94.5 remaining as of 21/3/22
  • rtandon27
    rtandon27 Posts: 4,627 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    @SandyShores - thanks so much for sharing the info about washing - I've never done so, but our is definitely organic from our veg box - but I'll file that info away, should we buy the non- organic stuff at any point!
    4 YEARS 10 MONTHS DEBT FREE!!! (24 OCT 2016)
    (With heartfelt thanks to those who have gone before us & their indubitable generosity.)
    ...and now I have a mortgage! (23 AUG 2021)
    17 YEARS 3 MONTHS LEFT OF 20 YEARS
  • Cherryfudge
    Options
    I'm really pleased with this lunchtime's 'use up': Nearly everything was out of date but only in a 'best before' sort of way, nothing dangerous. The oldest item was some Laksa pasta (BB 2019!) which I bought after trying Laksa on holiday. I had no rice noodles so I used ordinary ones (BB December last year) and remembered I had Quorn to use up. The Quorn (BB 31/3/24) was only 12g short of the recommended 200g chicken. Then I didn't have spring onion, till I remembered I had some a few weeks ago and planted the extra - so that was okay. The last ingredient was coconut milk, and there was some in the cupboard (remainder in the freezer, and I am not relying on memory so it's labelled).

It's made two servings and is delicious. The second serving can be my lunch tomorrow, and I had my share of the rice pudding leftovers, cold, for pudding.

Oh, and I found the missing pudding rice: I'd put something in front of it.

Fashion on the Ration challenge, 2024: Trainers 5 coupons, dress 7 coupons = 12/68
  • Cairnpapple
    Cairnpapple Posts: 173 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Spouse and I just went through our oils/sauces cupboard which was grubby and in chaos. Pitched some gluten free soy sauce which is just not good soy sauce (so it makes sense to just avoid soy based dishes when feeding our gf friend). Also got rid of a massive tub of sesame seeds best before 2021 and some garlic seasoning that had all clumped together, and consolidated 2 partial bottles of balsamic vinegar. 

We've been trying to use up spice mixes so everything is getting cooked with either Sri Lankan spice rub (was good on fish) or smoked garlic rub (disappointing on roast chicken but made an excellent chicken pilaf).

Does anyone understand what to do with flavoured salt? We have hickory salt and whisky salt. I guess you could put them on a steak or whatever but we tend to do more casseroles and curries rather than bits of meat. 
  • Cherryfudge
    Options
    I’m glad you asked, @Cairnpapple - I can’t help, I’m afraid, but I have smoked salt to use somehow so I will watch out for what gets suggested to you.

• ruby_eskimo
    ruby_eskimo Posts: 4,560 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Jumping back on to the "using things up from the cupboards" etc. as we're possibly moving soon so need to try and run down the freezer which isn't too bad actually for once!

So, dinner tonight is good old sausage and mash, using sausages, leek and random veg from the freezer, potatoes in the cupboard which I'll add the leek to with maybe a bit of grated cheese if I'm feeling fancy.  

I also have a glut of baking ingredients so have decided to make a cake for a friend who's birthday is over the weekend, just need to pick up some kind of butter tonight for the sponge.

Oh and I was wondering what to do with the two open bottles of ketchup that we have but have just realised I can use at least one of the bottles to make a few portions of sweet and sour sauce that could come in handy to use up random veg for a quick dinner.
    Emergency Fund - £8572.39 / £10,000 :: Total Mortgage OP - £36,666.15
    LISA 24/25 - £1370 / £4000 :: NSD July - 0 / 15 :: Moving Fund: £9938.53 :: Decluttering - 677 / 365 ⭐
    Engaged 9th December 2010 :: Married 29th October 2015 :: Bought a House 13th January 2017
  • Pollie
    Pollie Posts: 215 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    @ruby_eskimo Hugh Finally Eats it All's Chickpea & Ketchup Curry is very tasty and cheap.
  • Cairnpapple
    Cairnpapple Posts: 173 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Using up dried fruit and demerara sugar in a teabread and decided to try using lapsang souchong - curious to see whether any smoke flavour comes through in the final cake. 
  • Cherryfudge
    Options
    We're back from a few days away and it's time to return to home cooking and healthy eating, so some chick pea tikka (yesterday) and a couple more pieces of salmon (today) have come out of the freezer. I brought some crushed chilli home from hols to add to the herbs and spices cupboard.

I'm going to bump the question of flavoured salts - does anyone have any idea what to do with them, please?

• Pollie
    Pollie Posts: 215 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Sprinkle on chips, scrambled egg, rice etc
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 344.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.6K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.4K Spending & Discounts