Charity Shopping - New to You in '22!

Comments

• MrsCatz
    MrsCatz Forumite Posts: 114
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    I wash all mine. It is the same here people leave bags outside the shop rather then hang on to them. We now have a lot of clothing banks here but they just do the same when they are full.
    Fashion on a ration: Total: 66 coupons Used:7 Total: 59
  • Brie
    Brie Forumite Posts: 8,267
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite
    MrsCatz said:
     Hi Brie, I am but Littlehampton
    Drat!  Too far from Poole!!!
    "Never retract, never explain, never apologise; get things done and let them howl.”

2023 £1 a day  £553.26/365
  • luvchocolate
    luvchocolate Forumite Posts: 3,218
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Home Insurance Hacker!
    Forumite
    The animal charities are happy to recieve duvets....other charities may not as the rag man don't take them
  • MrsCatz
    MrsCatz Forumite Posts: 114
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    There are so many that they are dumped in bins out the front, I use them instead of wrapping for Christmas.
    Fashion on a ration: Total: 66 coupons Used:7 Total: 59
  • Wednesday2000
    Wednesday2000 Forumite Posts: 6,922
    Eighth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    My MIL died last month and my husband got a textile recycling charity to pick her clothes up from her house. I told him about it as the clothes were from previous decades and never been worn, but also never been washed.
  • DigForVictory
    DigForVictory Forumite Posts: 11,882
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    Brie said:
    I wash but don't iron - mostly as I simply don't iron more than once a year and then only if I absolutely have to.  You know, linen dress or the special napkins ready for Christmas. 
    I am so glad to hear I am not the only one who will ply an iron for occasional events… There are those who find it restful & I laud that but haven’t learned that particular zen!
  • Miró
    Miró Forumite Posts: 6,839
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Homepage Hero Name Dropper
    Forumite
    @cherryfudge  Thanks for the info re the last car booty at Bedale.  Must try and get to another one before it finishes....does the Thirsk one finish then too do you know?

My local charity shops are heaving now as well, (with people not goods!), thanks to the return of the students &freshers week....oh the joys of living in a big university city during the week!

Called into the charity shops in Ripon on my way home this morning and got a Berghaus walking jacket in navy.  Not a Goretex sadly but summat called 'Hydroshell'.  The ticket said 'sold as seen' which made me examine it minutely expecting a major fault but could't see anything obvious.  The sales woman said she thought it was cos the fleece jacket that zips in was missing....anyhoo it seemed a bargain at £6, (price of a cup of coffee and a maple twist at Hall's!!).  Will now officially retire my 25 year old Goretex that has done half of the Coast to Coast, The Dalesway and the bottom bit of The Pennine Way as well as much of The Yorkshire Dales and Calderdale....happy days!!  :D
  • Potternerd
    Potternerd Forumite Posts: 355
    Eighth Anniversary 100 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Brie said:
    I wash but don't iron - mostly as I simply don't iron more than once a year and then only if I absolutely have to.  You know, linen dress or the special napkins ready for Christmas. 
    I am so glad to hear I am not the only one who will ply an iron for occasional events… There are those who find it restful & I laud that but haven’t learned that particular zen!
    I’m an utter slattern and very untidy. It drives poor DH, who is a neat freak, crackers. However I do love laundry including the ironing. The ironing enjoyment started when DS was little. He was a monkey about settling  at night but if I was ironing and watching telly DH had to deal with it.
    Latest find:
    A black Papaya (Matalan) round necked jumper with a faux leather shirt collar £4
    Primark camouflage joggers £2
    Rainbow laces 50p to jazz up one of my pairs of white trainers.
    100ml Royal Jelly body moisturiser 50p
    75 ml Sanctuary Spa body moisturiser 35p
  • Brie
    Brie Forumite Posts: 8,267
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Miró said:
    Called into the charity shops in Ripon on my way home this morning and got a Berghaus walking jacket in navy.  Not a Goretex sadly but summat called 'Hydroshell'.  The ticket said 'sold as seen' which made me examine it minutely expecting a major fault but could't see anything obvious.  The sales woman said she thought it was cos the fleece jacket that zips in was missing....anyhoo it seemed a bargain at £6, (price of a cup of coffee and a maple twist at Hall's!!).  Will now officially retire my 25 year old Goretex that has done half of the Coast to Coast, The Dalesway and the bottom bit of The Pennine Way as well as much of The Yorkshire Dales and Calderdale....happy days!!  :D

You might find that any other fleece will zip in just as easily.  I've done that in the past when the proper fleece had got soaked somehow.
    "Never retract, never explain, never apologise; get things done and let them howl.”

2023 £1 a day  £553.26/365
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 340.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 448.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 232K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 603.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 171.7K Life & Family
  • 245.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure