Replies

• edited 22 September at 9:45AM
    AdrianCAdrianC Forumite
    42.2K Posts
    Eighth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 22 September at 9:45AM
    Jaybee_16 said:
    A letter has arrived for my grandson who is away at uni. Had permission to open and read it to find - non payment of £50 for petrol. Grandson remembers buying petrol - £15 and paid cash for it at the named location but it was July so not sure of date. The car reg is correct. Thing is - Grandson's car is unable to take £50 of petrol even with an empty tank.
    Can someone have used his car reg to obtain petrol or any ideas what has happened please.
    I would write to the company asking for cctv of the incident to confirm whether it was your grandson's car. If it was.. pay up. 
    They should only respond to the registered keeper, who is the person they've written to.

The grandson is a grown adult, legally responsible for his own actions. Why on earth is he passing the buck to Granny?

Or is Granny just opening her grandson's post, since he's using her address for correspondence?
  • MojisolaMojisola Forumite
    34.7K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    AdrianC said:
    The grandson is a grown adult, legally responsible for his own actions. Why on earth is he passing the buck to Granny?

Or is Granny just opening her grandson's post, since he's using her address for correspondence?
    Did you read the first post?

• AdrianCAdrianC Forumite
    42.2K Posts
    Eighth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mojisola said:
    AdrianC said:

The bit where she says she had permission?

Yes, thanks.

But why is she even asking? Why isn't she just forwarding his post to him?

Now it's been opened, she knows she cannot deal with this. He needs to.
  • clearancerclearancer Forumite
    83 Posts
    Fourth Anniversary 10 Posts
    A letter has arrived for my grandson who is away at uni. Had permission to open and read it to find - non payment of £50 for petrol. Grandson remembers buying petrol - £15 and paid cash for it at the named location but it was July so not sure of date. The car reg is correct. Thing is - Grandson's car is unable to take £50 of petrol even with an empty tank.
    Can someone have used his car reg to obtain petrol or any ideas what has happened please.
    The letter should give instructions what to do next, eg go to garage and pay bill. Choice is easy, pay the £50 and problems solved, or contact sender and dispute 
  • SallyDucatiSallyDucati Forumite
    436 Posts
    Third Anniversary 100 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭
    AdrianC said:
    Mojisola said:
    AdrianC said:

The bit where she says she had permission?

Yes, thanks.

But why is she even asking? Why isn't she just forwarding his post to him?

Now it's been opened, she knows she cannot deal with this. He needs to.
    He's 19, many parents and grandparents don't see that as fully 'adult' (despite them legally being so)  and wish to help/guide him.  He'd probably be asking anyway!
  • edited 22 September at 2:40PM
    photomephotome Forumite
    15.7K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Bake Off Boss!
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 22 September at 2:40PM
    AdrianC said:
    photome said:
    TimSynths said:
    has a 35 litre fuel tank. To fill from empty would be £50.
    my car has a 43 litre tank, and even when showing empty I cant get £50 in
    Then your fuel gauge is lying to you, and when it's "empty" it's still got five or so litres in.

It's basic maths.
    35 x £1.35 = £47
    43 x £1.35 = £58
    I didnt say it wasnt...I can tell you that when the light comes on it says i have 25 miles left, when it gets down to zero I fill up and can get at maximum 37 litres in which still isnt £50,, which means there must be 6 litres left in the tank so I could drive on another 50 or so miles and hope I dont run out but that wouldnt be the sensible thing to do...I fill up twice a week
  • FlorenceemFlorenceem Forumite
    5.9K Posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    JIL said:
    This happened to my brother in law, he paid for his fuel, however the previous driver hadnt.  He asked for the photo graphic evidence and it was soon sorted.

The car has obviously been traced via the number plates. He was at the garage, he paid but someone has had £50 of fuel. 
    You need to reply to this letter, to say you (grandson) strongly dispute this debt.
    That fuel was paid for in cash £15.
    Please could they forward the evidence they are using to ask for this payment.
    Could they also look again at the incident.

I'm not sure motoring is the correct board for this as it's a disputed debt and may be picked up by a debt advisor on another board.
    I sent an email and received notice that they reply within 10 days - on the letter they want payment within 7 days. I got a 30 day hold on the matter and now Grandson will have to deal with it 
    15 in 2015 1/15
  • photomephotome Forumite
    15.7K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Bake Off Boss!
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    AdrianC said:
    jimjames said:
    AdrianC said:
    photome said:
    TimSynths said:
    has a 35 litre fuel tank. To fill from empty would be £50.
    my car has a 43 litre tank, and even when showing empty I cant get £50 in
    Then your fuel gauge is lying to you, and when it's "empty" it's still got five or so litres in.

It's basic maths.
    35 x £1.35 = £47
    43 x £1.35 = £58
    No necessarily lying. If it's referring to when the low fuel light comes on or needle into Empty zone there are probably 7-10 litres left in the tank depending on the car
    And they aren't showing that it's empty, they're showing that it's nearly empty.

10 litres is damn near a quarter of a 43 litre tank.
    as per my previous post, it is showing as empty...bottom of the gauge and zero miles left.  so yes showing as empty, 
    5.9K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    To clarify - The letter arrived at DGs home address - his Mum  got permission to open his post as he is away at uni. Then Mum brings the letter to me - to sort! I have contacted DGs - who would not lie to me - he said - he bought £15 of fuel and paid for it. I got a 30 day hold on the matter when I phoned but now handing it all back to Mum and DGs to sort. 
    15 in 2015 1/15
    5.9K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    AdrianC said:
    Jaybee_16 said:
    I would write to the company asking for cctv of the incident to confirm whether it was your grandson's car. If it was.. pay up. 
    They should only respond to the registered keeper, who is the person they've written to.

See my post - I have said - who opened the letter - his Mum. Some 19 year olds are not mature enough to handle issues but I can do no more.
    15 in 2015 1/15