100 Posts First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭
     it is - LC14DHD
    Citroen C1
  • TimSynthsTimSynths Forumite
    253 Posts
    ✭✭
    has a 35 litre fuel tank. To fill from empty would be £50.
  • edited 21 September at 6:12PM
    marlotmarlot Forumite
    4.6K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 21 September at 6:12PM
    It's a citroen c1.  Fuel tank capacity will be 35 litres.

Even if running on fumes, you'd struggle to get £50 of petrol in.

35 litres x £1.34 (Typical figure for July) = £46.90

• FlorenceemFlorenceem Forumite
    5.9K Posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    TimSynths - yes that is right - a car which can't take £50 of fuel so will that be evidence that a mistake has been made?
    15 in 2015 1/15
  • TimSynthsTimSynths Forumite
    253 Posts
    ✭✭
    If filled up @ a motorway service station could easily get £50 in. I would leave this for your Grandson to sort out.
  • Carrot007Carrot007 Forumite
    4.3K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    It is a 1 litre car - I am a non car owner and an oldie so apologies for posts that confused people. Okay - contacted a friend with same model of car and it costs her £34 to fill from empty. 

Very unliekly I have never had a card with anything less than a 45 litre tank. Of course it maybe something very small. Even the smartfor2 had a 35 litre tank and could well cost £50.

Given the right place and location he uses the only possible error could be them guessing the wrong car. Does he mosve out of the way for the next person when done? Pumps support multiple unpaid events.

Personally I have a spreadsheet notinf every fill up (always to full) and work out MPG, maybe he should try this. He only has to do one big fill up for it to work (and the MPG saving on an empty tank is nothing, and may get worse again nearer empty).

He should politely (and any agression will just convince them it is him) ask for them to review the footage after telling them what he did and how he paid, obviously a reciept would help, why would anyone pay cash these days. it is a nightmare for budgeting. I used to just spend any cahs I had as it was out the bank and fair game ;-)

• ontheroad1970ontheroad1970 Forumite
    854 Posts
    500 Posts First Anniversary Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    TimSynths said:
    has a 35 litre fuel tank. To fill from empty would be £50.
    Depends on the price of fuel.  Petrol is around 1.32 per litre so not quite £50 and the tank would have to have been completely empty.
  • FlorenceemFlorenceem Forumite
    5.9K Posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Carrot007 said:
    It is a 1 litre car - I am a non car owner and an oldie so apologies for posts that confused people. Okay - contacted a friend with same model of car and it costs her £34 to fill from empty. 

Very unliekly I have never had a card with anything less than a 45 litre tank. Of course it maybe something very small. Even the smartfor2 had a 35 litre tank and could well cost £50.

Given the right place and location he uses the only possible error could be them guessing the wrong car. Does he mosve out of the way for the next person when done? Pumps support multiple unpaid events.

Personally I have a spreadsheet notinf every fill up (always to full) and work out MPG, maybe he should try this. He only has to do one big fill up for it to work (and the MPG saving on an empty tank is nothing, and may get worse again nearer empty).

He should politely (and any agression will just convince them it is him) ask for them to review the footage after telling them what he did and how he paid, obviously a reciept would help, why would anyone pay cash these days. it is a nightmare for budgeting. I used to just spend any cahs I had as it was out the bank and fair game ;-)

He hadn't used the petrol station before this event - was just doing a work errand and needed fuel. He had the car in July but is at uni now so car has been given to another family member to use. 
    15 in 2015 1/15
  • Reginald74Reginald74 Forumite
    79 Posts
    10 Posts
    This is between you and your grandson. He's probably not being truthful. Good luck.
  • Carrot007Carrot007 Forumite
    4.3K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    This is between you and your grandson. He's probably not being truthful. Good luck.

Bit harsh. Many reasons it could be wrong. Maybe he paid for the wrong pump for someone else's £15.

However straight out denial opr aggression wuill not help and these companies tend to go to court whatever the loss becuase they want to show they mean business.

Only OP knows if they are trustworthy and as a grandad they may not be close enough to even know that and need to ask someone closer.

Play nice wopuld be my advice. If it even happened. Usually results in a police visit and and sorry I'll go pay around here. (dodgy pay at pump, wrong beep).