letter about non payment for petrol

in Motoring
59 replies 4.6K views

Replies

• user1977user1977 Forumite
    3.5K Posts
    1,000 Posts Third Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Would be a bit of a coincidence for a cloned car to be using a petrol station around the same time as he used it. May be some other sort of mix-up of course, but I presume they have CCTV (which they could copy to him). Can't see them suing for £50 though.
  • HerzlosHerzlos Forumite
    12.8K Posts
    Tenth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Who does the letter say it's from?

It's presumably either an unfortunate plate misread, or some confusion about what car/pump owes the money.

The biggest concern is that the car has been cloned, so it's maybe worth mentioning it to the police until it's sorted.
  • JILJIL Forumite
    7.7K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    This happened to my brother in law, he paid for his fuel, however the previous driver hadnt.  He asked for the photo graphic evidence and it was soon sorted.

The car has obviously been traced via the number plates. He was at the garage, he paid but someone has had £50 of fuel. 
    You need to reply to this letter, to say you (grandson) strongly dispute this debt.
    That fuel was paid for in cash £15.
    Please could they forward the evidence they are using to ask for this payment.
    Could they also look again at the incident.

I'm not sure motoring is the correct board for this as it's a disputed debt and may be picked up by a debt advisor on another board.
  • photomephotome Forumite
    15.7K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Bake Off Boss!
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    TimSynths said:
    has a 35 litre fuel tank. To fill from empty would be £50.
    my car has a 43 litre tank, and even when showing empty I cant get £50 in
  • GrumpyDilGrumpyDil Forumite
    807 Posts
    Fourth Anniversary 500 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    OP. 

On a different note I'd suggest you don't mention that your grandson was doing a work errand unless he had business use on his insurance as it is very likely his insurance was not valid.

A minor point but by coincidence my 19 Yr old daughter is in the process of adding that to her insurance today. 
  • AdrianCAdrianC Forumite
    42.2K Posts
    Eighth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    photome said:
    TimSynths said:
    Then your fuel gauge is lying to you, and when it's "empty" it's still got five or so litres in.

It's basic maths.
    35 x £1.35 = £47
    43 x £1.35 = £58
  • edited 22 September at 7:37AM
    jimjamesjimjames Forumite
    15.1K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 22 September at 7:37AM
    AdrianC said:
    photome said:
    TimSynths said:
    Then your fuel gauge is lying to you, and when it's "empty" it's still got five or so litres in.

It's basic maths.
    35 x £1.35 = £47
    43 x £1.35 = £58
    No necessarily lying. If it's referring to when the low fuel light comes on or needle into Empty zone there are probably 7-10 litres left in the tank depending on the car

Either way the post by JIL above seems the most sensible option to contact the garage but definitely don't mention working at the time.
    Remember the saying: if it looks too good to be true it almost certainly is.
  • edited 22 September at 7:46AM
    AdrianCAdrianC Forumite
    42.2K Posts
    Eighth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 22 September at 7:46AM
    jimjames said:
    AdrianC said:
    photome said:
    TimSynths said:

It's basic maths.
    35 x £1.35 = £47
    43 x £1.35 = £58
    No necessarily lying. If it's referring to when the low fuel light comes on or needle into Empty zone there are probably 7-10 litres left in the tank depending on the car
    And they aren't showing that it's empty, they're showing that it's nearly empty.

10 litres is damn near a quarter of a 43 litre tank.
  • macmanmacman Forumite
    48.8K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Basics: if this was a 'work errand' that he was able to claim back expenses for, did he not get a receipt for the fuel?
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
  • Jaybee_16Jaybee_16 Forumite
    167 Posts
    Ninth Anniversary 100 Posts Combo Breaker
    A letter has arrived for my grandson who is away at uni. Had permission to open and read it to find - non payment of £50 for petrol. Grandson remembers buying petrol - £15 and paid cash for it at the named location but it was July so not sure of date. The car reg is correct. Thing is - Grandson's car is unable to take £50 of petrol even with an empty tank.
    Can someone have used his car reg to obtain petrol or any ideas what has happened please.
    I would write to the company asking for cctv of the incident to confirm whether it was your grandson's car. If it was.. pay up.