Chase UK discussion

Options

Comments

• Band7
    Band7 Posts: 2,285 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    edited 18 December 2022 at 10:59AM
    Options
    I never used Chase as my main account and am unlikely to do so in the future. I have used them for my savings when 1.5% was the run-away market leader but that lasted just a few months, and they never regained the lead spot since. If they did, which doesn’t look likely atm,  I would probably move my savings back to them. 

My cashback is still running to the end of February, so I use it when it pays better cashback than my RBS or Barclays credit cards, provided I don’t need S75 protection. I generally dislike using debit cards because I don’t like having money in 0% interest accounts but the Chase cashback has been very good for me, particularly when it was still possible to shift credit card spend to the Chase debit card (using free Curve).  Those were the days…….

Whether I will use Chase beyond February depends on what they offer at the time. If it’s unique benefits, fine. Otherwise no.
  • Jami74
    Jami74 Posts: 1,020 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    I use the Chase debit card if Amex is not accepted and keep a few quid in the savings to transfer into the current account when needed. I did like the pots function but moved the money to Barclays Rainy Day Saver. I don't seem to have as much money as everyone else on these forums but if I have anything left over once I've topped up Natwest/RBS and Lloyds each month I'll put it in Chase savings.
    Debt Free: 01/01/2020
  • where_are_we
    Options
    Will I get 1% cashback using my Chase debit card to pay the following car bills - annual tax, mot, servicing, repairs and parts at a garage. Exclusions list has "Car and van dealers - services repairs and parts" but a garage is different? Exclusions list has " Government services not classified elsewhere" - would this include car tax? Obviously car insurance is excluded under "Insurance sales and premiums" as would house insurance?
  • Band7
    First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    I didn't get cashback for a car service, MOT and new tyres. Not tried car tax
  • IAAM
    IAAM Posts: 95 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I've had a Chase account since November and am using it specifically for the 1% cashback, and the 5% rounding savings rate and 2.1% rate for savings (which I see they're increasing to 2.7% from 4th Jan).

It's worked really well for me so far and, by using the debit card rather than putting expenditure on my credit card, it has allowed me to stick to a budget each month. (I'm currently trying to save to pay off my mortgage early). 

I am like Band7 in that, whether I continue to use Chase beyond the 12 month cashback deal will depend on what they are offering at the time. There are so many competitive deals out there with banks that I don't see the sense in keeping my money anywhere that offers me nothing
    Mortgage Balance: £162,615.84 (December 2022); £163,945 (November 2022)
    Current MF date: Feb 2032.  (Previously: Jan 2033)

Target MF date: May 2027
    (Overpayments needed to achieve this: £1,750pm!) 

Joint spend: £391.09 (Nov)
  • Band7
    First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    IAAM said:
    (I'm currently trying to save to pay off my mortgage early). 

You can get much better than 2.7%. There are many Regular Savers paying above 4% and as much as 7%. The easiest of them is probably the Coventry First Home Saver (which everybody can get), currently 2.95% and going to 5% from Jan 6. It takes anything from £0 to £1,000 a month, and you can withdraw as often as you like.

Another option could be a Zopa "ladder". One form of it is described here, but you can create your own scheme that suits your requirements.
  • Marchitiello
    Options
    Never been my main account but have used extensively for foreign spend and cashback (before and after the summer just gone when my Santander Zero Matched the cashback  but added the CC benefit of protection and cash flow).  I do travel often to the USA and the free ATM usage at Chase ATMs over there (where ATM charges non customers) is too much of a USP that justify keeping the account just for it. 

I have filled multiple survey to be quite confident that a permanent form of rewards/cashback will be offered at the end of this initial 18 months launch period 
  • where_are_we
    Options
    Band7 said:
    I didn't get cashback for a car service, MOT and new tyres. Not tried car tax

Chase cashback exclusions update - They told me car tax payments do not qualify for cashback. I will use a .5% cashback credit card instead.
  • User36750
    Options
    How’s everyone still enjoying chase? Are people still using it as their main bank, day to day spending, savings or leaving it open as a “just in case” account? Mine is actually doing nothing but thinking with the savings rate going up, might actually use it again. 
    Still use mine as my main personal account.
    Don't assume - just answer the question as best you can with the information you have.
  • User36750
    Options
    Band7 said:
    IAAM said:
    (I'm currently trying to save to pay off my mortgage early). 

You can get much better than 2.7%. There are many Regular Savers paying above 4% and as much as 7%. The easiest of them is probably the Coventry First Home Saver (which everybody can get), currently 2.95% and going to 5% from Jan 6.
    The difference between 2.7% and 2.9% is barely worth the effort on moving money for many people I should think.
    Don't assume - just answer the question as best you can with the information you have.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback