Options

Comments

• GaleSF63
    GaleSF63 Posts: 1,536 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    GingerTim said:
    GingerTim said:
    Couldn't find any skimmed in the local supermarket so ended up using Whiskas' cat milk in this morning's coffee - surprisingly decent!
    What did the cat have to say about that?

He's more of a tea drinker, so didn't mind too much.
    Does he put the milk in first?
  • MalMonroe
    MalMonroe Posts: 5,783 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    MalMonroe said:
    GingerTim said:
    Couldn't find any skimmed in the local supermarket so ended up using Whiskas' cat milk in this morning's coffee - surprisingly decent!
    It's actually probably better for you than it is for your cat. Cats are lactose intolerant and don't need milk, except from their mothers when tiny. It's just we humans who think milk is universally good. It isn't. I just don't fancy drinking something that's not intended for humans. . . . Good thing is that cat milk has vitamins. 
    It may not be designed for any purpose beyond weaning, but that is not to say it doesn't have a nutritional content. Its also an incredibly cruel farming practice.

If I went back to veganism I would struggle to get enough calcium or iron into my diet. The marshmallow side of me cannot imagine a life without tea and coffee on tap, neither of which I enjoy sans moo-juice. I wish I could be a better person and swerve it but if I try the person to ultimately suffer will be me.
    You misunderstood my point. I know all about the cruel farming practises, which is why I said*, after I put, "we humans who think milk is universally good"  *"It isn't". Milk isn't good for us. Nor is it good for our cats. Nor is it good for cows and calves. Cats don't need it. Humans don't need it. But if a human wants to drink milk meant for cats, it's harmless. 

As a vegetarian (not brave enough for veganism yet), I have just been diagnosed with iron deficiency anaemia as a direct result of not eating meat. But I can take iron supplements, same as I need to have calcium supplements. I don't really need cows' milk for my calcium but I will admit that I'm addicted to it as can't bear the idea of tea or coffee without it. I also wish I could be a better person and swerve it but I can't. Not after - well, let's just say many years and leave it at that.  
    Please note - taken from the Forum Rules and amended for my own personal use (with thanks) : It is up to you to investigate, check, double-check and check yet again before you make any decisions or take any action based on any information you glean from any of my posts. Although I do carry out careful research before posting and never intend to mislead or supply out-of-date or incorrect information, please do not rely 100% on what you are reading. Verify everything in order to protect yourself as you are responsible for any action you consequently take.
  • MalMonroe
    MalMonroe Posts: 5,783 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    GaleSF63 said:
    MalMonroe said:
    GingerTim said:
    It's actually probably better for you than it is for your cat. Cats are lactose intolerant and don't need milk, except from their mothers when tiny. It's just we humans who think milk is universally good. It isn't. I just don't fancy drinking something that's not intended for humans. . . . Good thing is that cat milk has vitamins. 
    Isn't the point about cat milk that it is made suitable for cats, presumably by taking the lactose out?
    Yes but they don't need it, do they? It's just a money making venture by cat food manufacturers. And they get enough out of we cat owners as it is!! So I get a bit prickly about cat milk. It's just not necessary. So there.
    Please note - taken from the Forum Rules and amended for my own personal use (with thanks) : It is up to you to investigate, check, double-check and check yet again before you make any decisions or take any action based on any information you glean from any of my posts. Although I do carry out careful research before posting and never intend to mislead or supply out-of-date or incorrect information, please do not rely 100% on what you are reading. Verify everything in order to protect yourself as you are responsible for any action you consequently take.
  • GingerTim
    GingerTim Posts: 2,050 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    GaleSF63 said:
    AftgerTim said:
    GingerTim said:

Afterwards - but he likes his tea done in the microwave, the pervert.
  • GaleSF63
    GaleSF63 Posts: 1,536 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    GingerTim said:
    GaleSF63 said:
    AftgerTim said:
    GingerTim said:

Afterwards - but he likes his tea done in the microwave, the pervert.
    Purrvert.  
  • Rosa_Damascena
    Options
    No shortage in my local Tesco earlier, until I relieved it of 10 pints :)
    No man is worth crawling on this earth.

So much to read, so little time.
  • maman
    maman Posts: 28,659 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Is it likely that supermarkets are limiting the range they stock? I haven't had a problem getting basic semi skimmed but the Arla BoB, that we prefer, was unavailable in both Coop and Sainsburys this week.

Sainsburys had a limited range of bread too, plenty of own brand but no Burgen. I'm wondering whether they're limiting suppliers possibly for cost reasons as well as delivery problems. 🤔
  • Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,317 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    maman said:
    Is it likely that supermarkets are limiting the range they stock? I haven't had a problem getting basic semi skimmed but the Arla BoB, that we prefer, was unavailable in both Coop and Sainsburys this week.

Sainsburys had a limited range of bread too, plenty of own brand but no Burgen. I'm wondering whether they're limiting suppliers possibly for cost reasons as well as delivery problems. 🤔

I'd imagine limiting stock. I was listening to one MD the other day and they had rationalised the lorries, so made one full trip instead of say two 3/4 full trips which inevitably meant some slow moving [or less profitable as I read it] were left off
    Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
  • briskbeats
    Options
    maman said:

Bread is delivered by third parties, which is done daily. Some weeks recently, we had five deliveries a week and its only one day gap, not two. On the Warburton delivery, we get some own label bread too as Warbies make for the supermarkets.

Unsure about Lidl/Aldi
  • sammyjammy
    sammyjammy Posts: 7,409 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    edited 10 September 2021 at 8:27PM
    Options
    MalMonroe said:
    GingerTim said:
    It may not be designed for any purpose beyond weaning, but that is not to say it doesn't have a nutritional content. Its also an incredibly cruel farming practice.

If I went back to veganism I would struggle to get enough calcium or iron into my diet. The marshmallow side of me cannot imagine a life without tea and coffee on tap, neither of which I enjoy sans moo-juice. I wish I could be a better person and swerve it but if I try the person to ultimately suffer will be me.
    I totally agree, I would find it very hard to give up Dairy, particularly milk.

Ever so slightly better for the cow and much less dangerous for you would be to swap to Organic milk, the antibiotics in the milk that are fed to the cow are the very well absorbed by the human body - not good!
    "You've been reading SOS when it's just your clock reading 5:05 "
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure