Milk Shortages

Options

Comments

• GaleSF63
    GaleSF63 Posts: 1,536 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    You can also buy dried milk.  Proper milk I mean, not coffee whitener. 
  • Bacman
    Bacman Posts: 537 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Other option if desperate - dried milk from supermarkets or evaporated milk (which is reduced whole milk typically).
  • Polly2307
    Options
    Yesterday 8th August I went to Waitrose, Tesco, Asda and finally got Sainsbury’s own lacto free skimmed milk at Sainsbury’s.  I accept that we need to adapt but when you know one type works for you it is difficult to accept an alternative without trying to get what you want/ need. Here’s hoping the shelves will be full very soon. 
  • MrsStepford
    MrsStepford Posts: 1,637 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Lactose Free UHT - JUST MILK with 0% lactose, yet great taste this what I've bought. Long life so no need to freeze. 
  • briskbeats
    briskbeats Posts: 434 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Polly2307 said:
    Yesterday 8th August I went to Waitrose, Tesco, Asda and finally got Sainsbury’s own lacto free skimmed milk at Sainsbury’s.  I accept that we need to adapt but when you know one type works for you it is difficult to accept an alternative without trying to get what you want/ need. Here’s hoping the shelves will be full very soon. 
    Find it puzzling why the govt are making supermarket depot workers exempt from self isolating, yet the delivery drivers, not. 
  • Brie
    Brie Posts: 10,369 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Our local Tesco (medium size store) and the large Metro one both have a lot of empty shelves which is even worse than March/April 2020.  When I asked I was told that at least half of their drivers are currently off due to testing positive or being pinged.  
    "Never retract, never explain, never apologise; get things done and let them howl.”
  • moonshine
    moonshine Posts: 815 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Perhaps I've just been lucky but I haven't seen any lack of stock at all. I shop for milk at either Sainsbury's or Tesco and the shelves are always as full as they usually are.
  • Rosa_Damascena
    Options
    moonshine said:
    Perhaps I've just been lucky but I haven't seen any lack of stock at all. I shop for milk at either Sainsbury's or Tesco and the shelves are always as full as they usually are.
    I'd be in trouble if there was. Me plus a site full of builders get through 18pints of moo juice in tea and coffee alone every week.
    No man is worth crawling on this earth.

So much to read, so little time.
  • 2childmum2
    2childmum2 Posts: 188 Forumite
    Options
    Auntycaz said:
    Auntycaz said:
    I have frozen regular semi-skimmed milk successfully but the Arla lactofree doesn't freeze so a problem for people who have a problem with lactose intolerance if there are shortages.
    I have frozen the Arla lactofree milk without any problem.  I haven't been able to get the skimmed version for a few weeks now, but have been able to buy either Tesco own or Arla semi skimmed
    I was told by my daughter who is lactose intolerant that when you freeze lactofree milk it becomes grainy. This is not so bad if you're using it for cooking but not good in a cup of tea. Did you notice this yourself when you froze it. I might tell her to give it another go if its possible to do it without the graininess. Thank you for replying.

I have frozen it in it's original packaging with no problems at all - I've never noticed it going grainy and it's fine in tea/coffee - this is skimmed or semi-skimmed.  I've never tried full fat

• 2childmum2
    2childmum2 Posts: 188 Forumite
    Options
    Quite a lack of milk in Morrison's this morning, with a sign up saying there was a problem with their supplier.

Lactose free milk has been in abundance, or not there at all, in all the shops I go to.  I tend to buy an extra one for the freezer if there isn't one in there already (only keep one frozen at a time).

Arla do a long life version of their lactofree milk but it doesn't taste as nice as the fresh

Aldi store their long life in the fridge where I am - making out it is fresh!  It doesn't taste very nice!

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback