Milk Shortages

Options
MrsStepford
MrsStepford Posts: 1,609 Forumite
First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
edited 30 December 2021 at 9:27AM in Gone off!
Arla, a farmers' co-operative which originated in Denmark, suppllies 1 in 5 bottles of milk sold in supermarkets in the UK. They are experiencing a shortage od=f drivers, because EU citizens returned home. Currently, they are offering a £2000 sign-on bonus, to HGV drivers willing to work weekends. However 10% of deliveries in the South of England, aren't being made. 

Arla brands include Lactofree and Cravendale. Our Brands | Arla UK (arlafoods.co.uk) Arla also supplies ASDA for their own-brand milk. Sainsbury's and Tesco use Arla as a supplier, along with others. Co-op arranges milk direct from farmers. Since 1999, Waitrose conventional milk hs been supplied by Waitrose Dairy Farmers Group and Duchy Organic milk comes from eleven farms in the West Country. All milk used by McDonalds is organic and supplied by Arla. 

Milk does freeze, as long as it's not in a glass bottle and as long as there's a bit of room for expansion in the plastic bottle or tetrapak.

If, like me, you would normally have Arla Lactofree milk, French dairy group Candia's Just Milk does lactose free milk and will ship it tto you. JUST MILK - Lactose Free, Skimmed and Semi Skimmed long life milk and it can also be bought from Amazon but that is often more expensive. . If you're a Costco member, you'll find conventional Candia Just Milk in-store and available for delivery. 

Mlekpol is Polish and their Laciate brand is the best known in Poland. The UHT milk is sold in ASDA, Morrisons, Sainsbury's and Tesco, as well as Polish/Eastern European shops. 

Graham's is a family dairy in Scotland, and their milk is sold in Sainsbury's, Tesco and Waitrose. 

If you can, consider having milk delivered from a local dairy or buy local milk from a local shop. If that's not available, you may be in the delivery area for a bigger company eg Milk & More Milk & More | Online Food Shopping | Food Shop Online (milkandmore.co.uk)

I hope that helps a few people. 

Comments

• moonshine
    moonshine Posts: 815 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options

Milk Shortages

Are there any? I certainly haven't seen any problems in the major supermarkets around here.
  • Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,253 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    moonshine said:

Milk Shortages

Are there any? I certainly haven't seen any problems in the major supermarkets around here.
    Nor here, but as OP says, 10% of deliveries are not being made, thus presumably 90% of deliveries are being made
    No idea how this pans out in the real world, maybe one store gets missed off the delivery round?

Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
  • sarah1972
    sarah1972 Posts: 18,918 Senior Ambassador
    Homepage Hero Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    No shortages here either, all seem to be available but 10% may not really make a dent in day to day life 
    I’m a Senior Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Competitions Time, Shopping & Freebies boards, Employment, Jobseeking & Training boards If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • comeandgo
    comeandgo Posts: 5,748 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I did notice emptyish fridges but there was still some milk , maybe not the size I usually buy but there was milk.
  • mikb
    mikb Posts: 557 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Definitely noticed  patchy supply at Morrisons Coventry, their own brand milk is also from Arla, and a few times there's been no 2-pint whole milk available, one week no 2-pint ANYTHING (all 4's and 1's) -- what makes it worse is that under the personalised "My Offers" I got a "10% off 2-pint whole milk". None there any of three times I shopped, then the offer expired :(
  • Rosa_Damascena
    Rosa_Damascena Posts: 6,294 Forumite
    First Anniversary Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    This did make R4 the other morning, the head honcho was on and the cause was pinned down on a workforce with a ping problem.
    No man is worth crawling on this earth.

So much to read, so little time.
  • JJ_Egan
    JJ_Egan Posts: 20,281 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Many from the EU went back a fair while back .
    Certainly seen no shortage of the normal milks .

Yes milk does freeze well in the plastic bottles .
  • Browntoa
    Browntoa Posts: 49,303 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    There was absolutely no milk in my  local Tesco Extra yesterday ,I'm assuming no delivery.

It's a big store with milk storage facilities out the back so at least 1 day without a delivery . Nearby Aldi had plenty

Ex forum ambassador

Long term forum member
  • Auntycaz
    Auntycaz Posts: 3,252 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I have frozen regular semi-skimmed milk successfully but the Arla lactofree doesn't freeze so a problem for people who have a problem with lactose intolerance if there are shortages.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback