Milk Shortages

Options

Comments

• Rosa_Damascena
    Options
    Browntoa said:
    There was absolutely no milk in my  local Tesco Extra yesterday ,I'm assuming no delivery.

It's a big store with milk storage facilities out the back so at least 1 day without a delivery . Nearby Aldi had plenty

That would have me bereft! I but a 6pint bottle 3x a week from the Tesco Express around the corner, such is my (and my site team's) tea and coffee drinking habit.
    No man is worth crawling on this earth.

So much to read, so little time.
  • briskbeats
    briskbeats Posts: 434 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    The store where I work, milk delivery is around 6:30pm, which some of the milk has run out before that - then moans from customers wanting that milk which is oos.....
  • 2childmum2
    2childmum2 Posts: 188 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Auntycaz said:
    I have frozen regular semi-skimmed milk successfully but the Arla lactofree doesn't freeze so a problem for people who have a problem with lactose intolerance if there are shortages.
    I have frozen the Arla lactofree milk without any problem.  I haven't been able to get the skimmed version for a few weeks now, but have been able to buy either Tesco own or Arla semi skimmed
  • MysteryMe
    MysteryMe Posts: 3,054 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    No shortages where I am luckily as I'm getting through a lot more milk now I've gone back to making latte and cappuccino in my nespresso machine. . Plenty of Cravendale, which I believe is Arla, in the Co op on Monday plus plenty of their own label filtered milk and regular milk. Had a Waitrose delivery and again got everything, including their own labelled filtered milk, other than microwave Tilda jasmine rice. I think I'll survive without that for a couple of weeks. 
  • Rosa_Damascena
    Rosa_Damascena Posts: 6,324 Forumite
    First Anniversary Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    MysteryMe said:
    No shortages where I am luckily as I'm getting through a lot more milk now I've gone back to making latte and cappuccino in my nespresso machine. . Plenty of Cravendale, which I believe is Arla, in the Co op on Monday plus plenty of their own label filtered milk and regular milk.
    Your comment made me drool...not long until I have a kitchen again and the first thing I am going to do is buy some evaporated milk for my latte habit. My diet has been appalling over the last 12 weeks (mainly tea, coffee and the leftover biscuits the builders don't eat) but I do love a hot beverage.
    No man is worth crawling on this earth.

So much to read, so little time.
  • Auntycaz
    Auntycaz Posts: 3,254 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Auntycaz said:
    I have frozen regular semi-skimmed milk successfully but the Arla lactofree doesn't freeze so a problem for people who have a problem with lactose intolerance if there are shortages.
    I have frozen the Arla lactofree milk without any problem.  I haven't been able to get the skimmed version for a few weeks now, but have been able to buy either Tesco own or Arla semi skimmed
    I was told by my daughter who is lactose intolerant that when you freeze lactofree milk it becomes grainy. This is not so bad if you're using it for cooking but not good in a cup of tea. Did you notice this yourself when you froze it. I might tell her to give it another go if its possible to do it without the graininess. Thank you for replying.

• clyndu
    clyndu Posts: 582 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Lactofree can be frozen but needs to be frozen in plastic bottles to keep the quality. This is the advice given by Arla, when I inquired.
  • Bacman
    Bacman Posts: 537 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Milk you can't bulk-buy of course however there doesn't seem the milk shortage as at the start of the pandemic. Good idea to get some long-life milk if you can just in case you can't get fresh.
  • MrsStepford
    MrsStepford Posts: 1,643 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    I have frozen Arla organic Lactofree semi-skimmed in tetrapaks, without grainy result. No milk in my local ASDA tonight, The Husband says. 
  • briskbeats
    briskbeats Posts: 434 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Bacman said:
    Milk you can't bulk-buy of course however there doesn't seem the milk shortage as at the start of the pandemic. Good idea to get some long-life milk if you can just in case you can't get fresh.
    I don't have the room to freeze milk, got a litre of LL.

Plus I have cappuccino/latte sachets and fruit teabags if I run out of milk. Then can make porridge with water if desperate. 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback