IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

PCN for parking & visiting Halfords store

Options
poper
poper Posts: 40 Forumite
Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
edited 12 July 2021 at 10:14PM in Parking tickets, fines & parking
Hi

The driver parked the vehicle at the Halfords premises @ 550-570 Purley Way, Croydon to visit the store and received a PCN from the UKPS scammers a week later.
Complained to Halfords in writing and they washed their hands off completely. They say they do not own the parking land. The PCN displays we parked at the address 
550 - 570 Purley Way, Croydon(which is were Halfords is).
It appears like "some" parking slots at the premises have been ring-fenced for Halfords customers which we weren't aware. The rest are being monitored by the UKPS scammers.
There was a sign(attached) indicating the parking did not belong to Halfords, but we failed to notice the same.

We will file an appeal with the UKPS using the template in the Newbies section. Should we:
  • Ask Halfords who owns the land?(they will most likely come back saying they have no clue). How do we find the land owner to complain?
  • Should we make Halfords accountable?. Should we file a complaint with the Ombudsman
Edit - To add:
  • The duration of parking would've been around 10-15 mins. It could well be under10 mins and we have requested a SAR from the scammers
  • Pictures captured by the camera display who the actual driver was

Comments

• Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 132,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    edited 12 July 2021 at 10:27PM
    Options
    Clearly they know that Halfords customers make this mistake so why no barriers or yellow hatchlings on that part of the site? Well we know why not...

Unfortunately it’s an IPC firm so read the thread I started last week telling people how many appeals are upheld by this disingenuous ‘appeals’ process.  You will be shocked about the perceived ‘kangaroo court’ the Trade Body runs. 

The Government are stepping in and things will change next year. Doesn’t help you but please stick around and join us in the upcoming final Consultation, about the level of parking charges. Coming soon and we need people like you because the parking industry spammed the Consultation last year, and we need the people’s voice to be heard.

This year, appeal anyway even though you know you can’t win this anti-consumer process and even though that sign offers no contract, because it doesn’t offer parking to you.  

DO NOT PAY, if and when you lose at 2nd stage appeal. 

Read my thread about the IAS and sit tight. Read other threads. Read the Newbies thread, top of the forum. 

PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
  • Umkomaas
    Umkomaas Posts: 41,507 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    How do we find the land owner to complain?
    SOME IDEAS ON DETERMINING WHO OWNS THE LAND 
    ©️Umkomaas 02/21 !! 🤓

1. Google searches
    2. If a retail park, check on any signage which lists the on-site outlets
    3. Ask retailers on the site if there is a managing agent
    4. Ask retailers on the site to whom do they pay rent
    5. Contact the local authority and ask who pays the non-domestic/business rate for the car park (some councils have a spreadsheet on their website)
    6. Contact the local Valuation Office and ask if they know. They often have a website which might provide the information 
    7. Contact The Land Registry and for around £3 they should be able to provide definitive detail
    8. Give us the name of the car park, we may have seen other cases there. 

Please note, we are not a legal advice forum. I personally don't get involved in critiquing court case Defences/Witness Statements, so unable to help on that front. Please don't ask. .

I provide only my personal opinion, it is not a legal opinion, it is simply a personal one. I am not a lawyer.

Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Private Parking Firms - Killing the High Street
  • mksysb
    mksysb Posts: 357 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    I believe it's owned by Wing Yip.

• fisherjim
    fisherjim Posts: 6,082 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 13 July 2021 at 9:24AM
    Options
    Well I don't know where the official car park is from this the signage is woeful, however if you went beyond the gates at the rear that is quite obviously Wing Yip's land:

Unusual for Streetview to go so far in to private property.

• D_P_Dance
    D_P_Dance Posts: 11,504 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Have you read the newbies?  Have you complained to your MP?  
    You never know how far you can go until you go too far.
  • Umkomaas
    Umkomaas Posts: 41,507 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Where exactly was your vehicle parked relative to the Google Street View image linked above?  From GSV there is very evidently a car park (alongside Halfords), although the PPC signs showing are those of TPS (Total Parking Solutions), Halford's preferred parking firm. 
    Please note, we are not a legal advice forum. I personally don't get involved in critiquing court case Defences/Witness Statements, so unable to help on that front. Please don't ask. .

I provide only my personal opinion, it is not a legal opinion, it is simply a personal one. I am not a lawyer.

Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Private Parking Firms - Killing the High Street
  • Castle
    Castle Posts: 4,219 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    fisherjim said:
    Well I don't know where the official car park is from this the signage is woeful, however if you went beyond the gates at the rear that is quite obviously Wing Yip's land:

Unusual for Streetview to go so far in to private property.

Wing Yip is W.Wing Yip PLC.
  • poper
    Options
    Umkomaas said:
    Where exactly was your vehicle parked relative to the Google Street View image linked above?  From GSV there is very evidently a car park (alongside Halfords), although the PPC signs showing are those of TPS (Total Parking Solutions), Halford's preferred parking firm. 
    Our vehicle was parked in one of those slots parallel to the parked black car(with the back facing the Europcar van) which you see as soon as you drive into Halfords
  • poper
    Options
    mksysb said:
    I believe it's owned by Wing Yip.

Yes, PCN mentions Wing Yip
  • poper
    Options
    D_P_Dance said:
    Have you read the newbies?  Have you complained to your MP?  
    Yes, infact this is my second time. Will write to my MP as well.
    I previously beat Civil Enforcement Ltd when they took me to court. Thanks to the Newbies section and you guys

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback