PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

how to clean the hob

Options
15678911»

Comments

• zippychick
    zippychick Posts: 9,364 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    ive merged this with our thread on cleaning the hob

Zip
    A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men :cool:
    Norn Iron club member #380

• pamsdish
    pamsdish Posts: 2,585 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Fairy Power Spray ,I use it as an oven cleaner it`s brilliant :D
    Do I need it or just want it.
  • mjannetta
    Options
    Try using a spray bottle with white vinegsr mixed with water on the slightly wa
    rm hob
  • rosie383
    rosie383 Posts: 4,981 Forumite
    Options
    I have been reading through this thread but still haven't seen a post that will help me. We got a second hand cooker last night, the only one we could find in our town.
    The grill and oven are pretty clean and I suspect have rarely been used. The hob however is a different story.

It is a gas hob and thankfully it is black or it would look even worse than it does! The racks that the pots sit on have a layer of crusty black stuff. Not greasy, more as if it is years of baked on stuff. There is also a lot of cooked on stuff around a couple of the gas rings.

I have tried Astonish on a scrubber. No joy.

I sprayed with some oven cleaner stuff and left it on overnight. Not the really fumey strong stuff. Hasn't had any impact.

After leaving the spray overnight I have scrubbed this morning with a brillo pad. Tiny effect.

Ended up scraping at it with a butter knife which is working but only a tiny bit at a time so it would take days to clear it all.

I shelled out £4 for a box of Oven Pride last night without reading the box as I was in a hurry. I'm going to return it as I haven't even opened it as the instructions say it is not to be used on any part of the hob. Grrrr. Oven is clean so it is no use to me.

So help please. The man who sold us the cooker last night very helpfully told my DH that you can get some strong chemical stuff to clean it with so now I am expected to know what it is. So far I haven't found anything that says it is suitable for a hob.
    Father Ted: Now concentrate this time, Dougal. These
    (he points to some plastic cows on the table) are very small; those (pointing at some cows out of the window) are far away...
    :D:D:D
  • ljonski
    ljonski Posts: 3,337 Forumite
    Options
    Ended up scraping at it with a butter knife which is working but only a tiny bit at a time so it would take days to clear it all.

How about a wall paper scraper?
    "if the state cannot find within itself a place for those who peacefully refuse to worship at its temples, then it’s the state that’s become extreme".Revd Dr Giles Fraser on Radio 4 2017
  • rosie383
    Options
    Thank you. I think that will help but I really need something to soften the baked on stuff that is on there to make it easier to scrape off.

Has anyone gone against the advice on the box and used any of the strong oven cleaners on the hob? I would love to put the hob rack things in a bag with the strong chemical stuff but don't know what would happen to them. Not too worried about making them dull or whatever, as anything would be an improvement!
    (he points to some plastic cows on the table) are very small; those (pointing at some cows out of the window) are far away...
  • ljonski
    ljonski Posts: 3,337 Forumite
    Options
    "if the state cannot find within itself a place for those who peacefully refuse to worship at its temples, then it’s the state that’s become extreme".Revd Dr Giles Fraser on Radio 4 2017
  • rosie383
    Options
    Thank you ljonski. Better than harsh chemicals. I need to go and find white vinegar now and more bicarb as I have used them all up.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport