PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

how to clean the hob

Options

Comments

• betterlatethannever
    Options
    I've just got my first gas cooker and i know what you mean about being worried about it.
    I do think its fab but last week my daughter used the tiny ring on it on low and forgot to switch it off! as the flame was so small i didn't notice till a few hours later when i took a bottle of spray cleaner to the cooker & sprayed it everywhere, there was this large 'whoosh' and the flames shot up (cleaner is flammable..i've just found out)
    Then i KNEW she'd left it on!
    The first time we said hello, was the first time we said goodbye. As the angels took your tiny hand and flew you to the sky-you forever left us breathless. RIP my beautiful granddaughter :(
  • csarina
    csarina Posts: 2,557 Forumite
    Options
    Up till we moved in here I had always had a gas cooker, the heat is instant and far easier to control than those awful electric rings. The bars, or pan stands I used to fling in the dish washer once every couple of weeks or so, the little black bits on top of where the flames come out, stardrops and one of those green backed foam pads. The little things with the holes in for the flames, soak and brush with an old toothbrush. the top, I wiped everytime I used the cooker, if it got very dirty stardrops and the green thingy again.
    Was 13st 8 lbs,Now 12st 11 Lost 10 1/4lbs since I started on my diet.
  • Kaz2904
    Kaz2904 Posts: 5,797 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    I love my gas hob. I have a glass one and it's really easy to clean. I take the things off and chuck them in the dishwasher and I wipe it down every time it's used.
    Debt: 16/04/2007:TOTAL DEBT [strike]£92727.75[/strike] £49395.47:eek: :eek: :eek: £43332.28 repaid 100.77% of £43000 target.
    MFiT T2: Debt [STRIKE]£52856.59[/STRIKE] £6316.14 £46540.45 repaid 101.17% of £46000 target.
    2013 Target: completely clear my [STRIKE]£6316.14[/STRIKE] £0 mortgage debt. £6316.14 100% repaid.
  • lil_me
    lil_me Posts: 13,186 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Great knowing I can dishwasher them if needs be as the other 'new thing' this house has is a dishwasher, so I was also unsure what could go in that if you know what I mean. This one is glass underneath aswell which was easy to clean, it's just the other 'bits' I was unsure of. Thanks for your help, I am sure I will get it looking sparkly tomorrow when we go over :)

Sorry to appear a bit dumb, but what is an ECloth ?
    One day I might be more organised...........:confused:
    GC: £200
    Slinkies target 2018 - another 70lb off (half way to what the NHS says) so far 25lb
  • daphne_descends
    Options
    I miss my gas cooker - my mum has an electric so I thought I'd hate gas, but after a while you do warm to it (no pun :rolleyes:) - the instant heat is a bonus and it's easier to control and you can see if it's on or not (though I have made a few tea towel fires :o)

I used to chuck everything in the sink with washing powder or trusty old Stardrops and just make sure to rinse thoroughly. Must admit I didn't do the fiddly bits often though :o

I'm back on electric now and hate it, forever checking if I've turned it off and waiting an age for milk to heat up... let's swap ;)
  • lil_me
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    If I could swap it I would but it's built in & a rented house, just paid over £500 for the all singing dancing Zanussi one of my dreams I just got which is going to have to be stored :( If it breaks however I will suggest taking it out (if I can figure out how) and putting mine in instead.
    Slinkies target 2018 - another 70lb off (half way to what the NHS says) so far 25lb
  • MATH
    MATH Posts: 2,941 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I hate cooking on gas, it is a completely different set of rules if you are used to good ol leccy. I had to 'make do' with a gas cooker for a couple of years when we last moved house and never did get the hang of it. My meals were served in one of two states, BURNT or RAW and keeping it clean was like a second job.
    A couple of things I did learn was: Do not put your pan of water on to pre-heat before peeling your spuds because it will have boiled dry and be a chard lump of molten metal before you get your peeler out. Also do not turn off the heat to allow things to simmer using residule heat because that only applies to leccy. The second you turn of the gas, ice will form on the surface of what you were cooking. LOL
    Most people seem to prefer gas tho, but it's not for me.
    Life's a beach! Take your shoes off and feel the sand between your toes.
  • MiniLaura
    MiniLaura Posts: 482 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Relieved to find people who dont like gas cookers either!

I think electric are a lot safer, easier to cook on and predictable. Cleaning is easy too! I just wipe over the hob and thats it!

Moved into a rented flat on condtion I changed the cooker to electric! Had to buy my own cooker but it was worth it.

I get water boiling very quickly on the ring with the red spot so dont see the problem with electric!

Now to find an all electric house!:T
    :j Debt-Free-Wannabe! :j
    Declutter/Ebay/Savings
  • pounds_and_pensive
    Options
    Rented here too, and using a gas cooker (and terrified of it!) after a life-time of using electric. I can't believe there are so many that feel like I do. When we did cooking at school, we were supposed to alternate using an electric cooker one term, and gas the next, but I made so much fuss about it that I ended up using a gas cooker for two weeks, then an electric one for the next three years. What a winp :)

There's hope though. At school I was also terrified of electric sewing machines, my only brief experience of them being the sight and sound of the 'bang!' and puff of yukky smelling smoke when someone sewed over the lead of one. My fear vanished almost overnight during a drastic change in finances years later, when I told myself that if I could get hold of an electric sewing machine then I could make some money doing sewing for other people. I did too, for over five years. There's still room for me to be a Nigella-with-a-gas-cooker...

I'm so glad you posted this. I've been looking at the gas cooker here and wondering just how much you're supposed to take off of these things to clean, but was too scared of blowing us all up to do much in the way of investigation. I won't tell you how long we've already been here and it's gone uncleaned - that would be TOO embarassing :)
    Eek! Someone's stolen my signature! :eek:
  • lil_me
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    :o see I knew I wouldn't be the only one. pounds_and_pensive I'll be taking mine apart today if you fancy joining me, we can all blow ourselves up together :rotfl:

Saying that the thing with sewing machines, I seen someone sew their fingers together which put me off! I've bought myself a mini battery powered one but hasn't been out of the box yet!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure