1235»

Comments

• Grumpy_chap
    Grumpy_chap Posts: 14,898 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    WillPS said:
    Here's an idea.
    If the OP never receives any mail for the LL, then the OP would not have to think about whether or not to forward the mail.  If the OP put a label on the letterbox that reads:

"Dear Post Delivery Person, thank you for the great service you do whatever the weather, could we please request that you do not post any mail addressed to XXX through this letterbox as they don't live here?  We love everything else you bring us, so please carry on, just not the stuff for XXX.  Thank you so much for your kind understanding.   Hugs & Kisses xxx"

Would that be problem solved?
    For the benefit of anyone reading this in future, this will not work - postal workers have a legal obligation to deliver addressed mail unless a redirect is in place. It is the responsibility of whoever receives the mail to forward, return or dispose of any mail not delivered to the correct address.
    Thank you - I just thought that would have been a solution if the Postie took any notice.  Good to have your clarification.
  • Emmia
    Emmia Posts: 3,169 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    Personally I'd ask the landlord to set up a redirection - and if that didn't happen then I'd start returning to sender. 
  • greyteam1959
    greyteam1959 Posts: 4,576 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    It all just smells a bit fishy to me.
    🦈🦈🦈🦈
  • brianposter
    brianposter Posts: 1,291 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Emmia said:
    Personally I'd ask the landlord to set up a redirection - and if that didn't happen then I'd start returning to sender. 

And you would expect your rent to be the same as that of a more cooperative person ?
  • Emmia
    Emmia Posts: 3,169 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    edited 14 June 2021 at 3:23PM
    Options
    Emmia said:

And you would expect your rent to be the same as that of a more cooperative person ?
    The landlord is clearly up to something dodgy, and is incurring charges on the tenant (by demanding recorded mail) on an ongoing basis which the tenant shouldn't be picking up - the landlord needs to sort a redirection.

If it was a short period whilst the redirection took effect, that's one thing - but this seems to be on an ongoing basis.

Eviction is a pretty slow and time consuming process, especially if the tenant keeps paying the rent  - if that's what you're intimating as a consequence??
  • BeerSavesMoney
    Options
    Whatever the landlord is up to you shouldn’t be expected to pay for the forwarding costs. If you are still happy forwarding it I’d ask them to cover the costs, it’s easy these days to pay for postage online and arrange a collection etc.
  • Breadcake
    Breadcake Posts: 41 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 14 June 2021 at 1:45PM
    Options
    Alice,
    Your duties as a tenant are to pay the rent on time and look after the property as per your tenancy agreement. Nothing more, nothing less, especially NOT the duties of an administration assistant at your own expense!

I cannot believe the landlord is asking for mail to be sent quicker!!! 

You need to address this situation sooner rather than later.

If you decide you no longer wish to do it then inform them of that decision, and that they need to make their own arrangements.

If you do wish to continue forwarding it to them I suggest you receive money from the landlord BEFORE you pay for any postage etc. If you’re using public transport / your car don’t forget to include this!

I would not ask for it to be in the form of less rent, I imagine the tenancy agreement would not be amended and does not include anything of your admin duties. If the landlord decides they want their property back they have proof you didn’t pay rent as per your tenancy agreement.
    In short, keep the tenancy agreement and post forwarding as two separate events.
  • Breadcake
    Breadcake Posts: 41 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Emmia said:

Being cooperative is telling the landlord they need to make alternative arrangements first.

Would you expect as a brazen landlord to receive the same amount of rent from a tenant who is doing your admin at their expense as that from a tenant who is simply following their tenancy agreement?
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback