Forwarding Landlord Mail

I have rented my house for 4 years, my landlord has lived in America for 3 of the 4 years and for 3 years I've forwarded their mail but recently, they sent an email wanting me to forward it quicker as they're expecting important mail. After mentioning the forwarding to friends, they said it shouldn't be my responsibility as a tenant to pay to send my landlords mail to America. I looked it up and it has me wondering why hasn't my landlord just set up a RM Redirection service? How do I go about mentioning this without souring the Tenant-Landlord relationship? 

Comments

• lr1277
    lr1277 Posts: 1,642
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    You have posted your question in the 'Budgeting and Bank Accounts' board. You may get better answers in the 'House Buying, Renting & Selling' board, if you repost your question on that board.
    As an aside, unless your landlord has made arrangements with HMRC, you should be paying the tax on the rental income to HMRC. That means deducting the tax due from your rental payment and sending it to HMRC. I am not sure how you do this, what reference numbers you use or calculating the amount of tax.
    Perhaps whilst asking about postal arrangements, you could ask if you need to pay the tax on your landlord's behalf?
  • colsten
    colsten Posts: 17,597
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    lr1277 said:

As an aside, unless your landlord has made arrangements with HMRC, you should be paying the tax on the rental income to HMRC. That means deducting the tax due from your rental payment and sending it to HMRC. I am not sure how you do this, what reference numbers you use or calculating the amount of tax
    Whilst this is, too, a subject better posted on a different board: it sounds a) totally wrong that a tenant should have any responsibility whatsoever for the landlord's tax affairs, and b) a surefire way to sour the relations with the landlord (for reasons given in a))
  • MDMD
    MDMD Posts: 1,417
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    colsten said:
    lr1277 said:

As an aside, unless your landlord has made arrangements with HMRC, you should be paying the tax on the rental income to HMRC. That means deducting the tax due from your rental payment and sending it to HMRC. I am not sure how you do this, what reference numbers you use or calculating the amount of tax
    Whilst this is, too, a subject better posted on a different board: it sounds a) totally wrong that a tenant should have any responsibility whatsoever for the landlord's tax affairs, and b) a surefire way to sour the relations with the landlord (for reasons given in a))
    Unfortunately the above is correct.

I have no idea in reality how many landlords and tenants actually follow the rules because the landlord could feasibly give the tenant notice to quit.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/paying-tax-on-rent-to-landlords-abroad

• colsten
    colsten Posts: 17,597
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    Bureaucracy gone mad!!!!
  • Grumpy_chap
    Grumpy_chap Posts: 14,637
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Does the OP deal directly with the LL, or is there a UK-based LA?
    If so, just send everything to the LA to deal with.
  • EssexExile
    EssexExile Posts: 6,106
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Forumite
    Alice_M77 said:I looked it up and it has me wondering why hasn't my landlord just set up a RM Redirection service? How do I go about mentioning this without souring the Tenant-Landlord relationship? 
    Royal Mail redirection has a time limit.
    As for how to tell him - it depends on how much you like the place!
    Tall, dark & handsome. Well two out of three ain't bad.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 7,175
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    Tell the landlord you simply don't have time to forward his mail any more and he should make other arrangements for his mail to be delivered elsewhere. While you are in possession of a tenancy agreement you have the right to peaceful enjoyment of the property. It is not his "base" while he his renting it out to you.
  • lr1277
    lr1277 Posts: 1,642
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    edited 9 June 2021 at 11:22PM
    MDMD said:
    colsten said:
    lr1277 said:

Unfortunately the above is correct.

I have no idea in reality how many landlords and tenants actually follow the rules because the landlord could feasibly give the tenant notice to quit.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/paying-tax-on-rent-to-landlords-abroad

Sorry completely off topic.
    Assuming the tenant objected to the eviction notice and it went to court, that would be fun. Tenant tells the judge about the tax query. Then the judge asks the landlord about their tax arrangements. That is assuming the landlord or their representative turns up.
  • missile
    missile Posts: 11,684
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Presumably you agreed to this when you arranged the tenancy?
    I would e mail back and say you are unhappy to continue doing this and ask him to make other arrangements.
    "A nation's greatness is measured by how it treats its weakest members." ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Ride hard or stay home :iloveyou:
  • born_again
    born_again Posts: 13,904
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    If any of this post is from banks. Send it back stating no longer living at this address (moved to US). They will be very interested in their US tax status then. As failure to report this can lead to fines for the bank for not reporting income..
    Life in the slow lane
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure