Forwarding Landlord Mail

in Budgeting & Bank Accounts
49 replies 2.4K views

Replies

• brianposterbrianposter Forumite
    943 Posts
    Eighth Anniversary 500 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    We dont know why the landlord has not offered to pay but the obvious explanation is that he does not wish to "insult" the OP by offering a relatively small sum. 
  • adamp87adamp87 Forumite
    553 Posts
    500 Posts First Anniversary Name Dropper
    ✭✭
    Surely the easiest option here is just to contact the Landlord and state you need reimbursing for posting the mail.
    Luno Referral Get £10 worth of Bitcoin for free! - no deposit needed.  
    Download 'Luno' from IOS/Play store - Sign up and enter this code under rewards
    "BPDWESTGRATH" £10 instantly applied 
  • edited 12 June at 8:27AM
    HampshireHHampshireH Forumite
    3.2K Posts
    1,000 Posts Third Anniversary Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 12 June at 8:27AM
    We dont know why the landlord has not offered to pay but the obvious explanation is that he does not wish to "insult" the OP by offering a relatively small sum. 
    That wouldn't be an obvious explanation to me when the OP has shelled out nearly £100.

It's just common decency not to expect someone else to fund your mail redirection.

OP put a polite email together explaining you are happy to pass to their friend or have it sent to them but could they please send you the emailed prepayment paperwork for you to attach. 

On receipt you will happily post the next time you are going past the post office.

Alternatively they can set up royal mail redirection to their friends address.

It's polite and offers two  (edit: three) options all suitable outcomes which will ensure they get their mail within the timeframe they require.
  • General_GrantGeneral_Grant Forumite
    3.3K Posts
    Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    That wouldn't be an obvious explanation to me when the OP has shelled out nearly £100.

It's just common decency not to expect someone else to fund your mail redirection.

OP put a polite email together explaining you are happy to pass to their friend or have it sent to them but could they please send you the emailed prepayment paperwork for you to attach. 

On receipt you will happily post the next time you are going past the post office.

It's polite and offers two  (edit: three) options all suitable outcomes which will ensure they get their mail within the timeframe they require.
    Who is the "they"?  It needs to be the person whose mail is being redirected.
    Re-direction within the UK is £33.99 for 3 months for one person's mail.  

• born_againborn_again Forumite
    5.7K Posts
    1,000 Posts First Anniversary Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
     I don't understand how anyone could think it's reasonable to make this request to their tenants either!
    There are all sorts of reasons why this may be appropriate, eg: Many people do not have an address which receives post so need to have forwarding at some particular time ; others wish to retain a UK bank account as repeatedly advised on this board and cannot do so without a UK address; and some simply need to know that a letter has arrived because the onward postal service is not reliable.

Then the LL is breaking banks T/C. Also as living in US. UK banks have to report income. FATCA. 

OP justs needs to tell LL friend that they can come and pick up the mail & send it on themselves. Or one day a new bank card will arrive and someone may just decide to use it.... 
    Life in the slow lane
  • BrieBrie Forumite
    326 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    Alice_M77 said:
    It's not even the fact that it's forwarded it is that they request i send it RM Signed For, I've been doing this so long that ive spent easily £100 sending her mail and it's too much as I don't earn much.
    I'd be sending him a bill for services if it was me.  Or deducting it from my rent!
  • Uxb1Uxb1 Forumite
    651 Posts
    500 Posts Second Anniversary Name Dropper
    ✭✭
    The PO re-direction service requires full ID to be supplied if applying in person at a large post office....or if applying online this requires that the same ID (person/address) can be verified electronically otherwise the application will be rejected.
    I suspect the LL will be unable to access the service either in person or online.......
  • Carrot007Carrot007 Forumite
    4.1K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Royal Mail redirection has a time limit.
    In theory. In practivce tyou can extend it foprever. But not of relevence in OP's case now.

• edited 13 June at 6:26AM
    HampshireHHampshireH Forumite
    3.2K Posts
    1,000 Posts Third Anniversary Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 13 June at 6:26AM

Who is the "they"?  It needs to be the person whose mail is being redirected.
    Re-direction within the UK is £33.99 for 3 months for one person's mail.  

It was indeed the landlords (whose mail would need directing) I was referring to in an email sent to them as one of their options