Forwarding Landlord Mail

Comments

• Simply explain to the landlord that you are finding the forwarding expensive and would he please make arrangements to refund you.
    Technically it is not your responsibility, but landlords and tenants who do not forward mail are a pain in the a..e.
    I will do this! It was fine the first few times but even more recently, they've asked that I send it quicker even if it's just 1 letter at a time as apparently I'm taking too long in sending it over. I can't afford to forward their mail when im on minimum wage, certainly not while they have the money to redirect
  • Grumpy_chap
    Grumpy_chap Posts: 14,636
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    How does the LL know the mail has been received?
  • callum9999
    callum9999 Posts: 4,389
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Alice_M77 said:
    Simply explain to the landlord that you are finding the forwarding expensive and would he please make arrangements to refund you.
    Technically it is not your responsibility, but landlords and tenants who do not forward mail are a pain in the a..e.
    I will do this! It was fine the first few times but even more recently, they've asked that I send it quicker even if it's just 1 letter at a time as apparently I'm taking too long in sending it over. I can't afford to forward their mail when im on minimum wage, certainly not while they have the money to redirect
    I don't understand why you'd be voluntarily paying anything at all for sending their post - if they want it forwarded they can pay the cost.

Did they threaten you or anything to do this? As much as I don't understand why you agreed in the first place, I don't understand how anyone could think it's reasonable to make this request to their tenants either!
  • eDicky
    eDicky Posts: 6,535
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    Maybe you should politely inform your landlord that if he wants you to perform this mail forwarding for him, you're happy to do so but will deduct all costs plus a 20%(?) service fee from your rental payments.
    Evolution, not revolution
  • brianposter
    brianposter Posts: 1,281
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
     I don't understand how anyone could think it's reasonable to make this request to their tenants either!
    There are all sorts of reasons why this may be appropriate, eg: Many people do not have an address which receives post so need to have forwarding at some particular time ; others wish to retain a UK bank account as repeatedly advised on this board and cannot do so without a UK address; and some simply need to know that a letter has arrived because the onward postal service is not reliable.

• If you don't feel comfortable cancelling, be a slow as possible so that they take the hint. 

As regards the new request, politely suggest (tell) hilm/her to arrange a prepaid FedEx pickup for security & speed. 
  • greyteam1959
    greyteam1959 Posts: 4,564
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    The more information we get from the OP the dodgier it all sounds !!

• Grumpy_chap
    Grumpy_chap Posts: 14,636
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Here's an idea.
    If the OP never receives any mail for the LL, then the OP would not have to think about whether or not to forward the mail.  If the OP put a label on the letterbox that reads:

"Dear Post Delivery Person, thank you for the great service you do whatever the weather, could we please request that you do not post any mail addressed to XXX through this letterbox as they don't live here?  We love everything else you bring us, so please carry on, just not the stuff for XXX.  Thank you so much for your kind understanding.   Hugs & Kisses xxx"

Would that be problem solved?
  • callum9999
    callum9999 Posts: 4,389
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
     I don't understand how anyone could think it's reasonable to make this request to their tenants either!
    There are all sorts of reasons why this may be appropriate, eg: Many people do not have an address which receives post so need to have forwarding at some particular time ; others wish to retain a UK bank account as repeatedly advised on this board and cannot do so without a UK address; and some simply need to know that a letter has arrived because the onward postal service is not reliable.

My issue isn't that they're asked to do this. My issue is that they're being asked to send it recorded delivery and pay for it themselves.

It's beyond ludicrous and I wouldn't even entertain asking close friends or family to do that, let alone a tenant.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback