Good and Bad Buys at Lidl and Aldi stores (***Please don't expire***)

Options

Comments

• maman
    maman Posts: 28,704 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Pollycat said:
    I've found the quality of the chicken breasts to be good.
    Last time we had them was in a home made blue cheese sauce with new potatoes & green beans
    Yum! 😋

Like you, I portion them for the freezer. One of the large ones can be enough for a stir fry for 2 of us.

Mostly though I use thighs for many chicken recipes, cheaper and tastier IMO. Unfortunately they come in many sizes too!! 🤣
  • rhcp
    rhcp Posts: 2,036 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    The were selling mince pies in my aldi.  I thought these were only sold at christmas!
  • Rosa_Damascena
    Rosa_Damascena Posts: 6,353 Forumite
    First Anniversary Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    rhcp said:
    The were selling mince pies in my aldi.  I thought these were only sold at christmas!
    They were making June-mass a thing to make up for a non-existent gap in profits in December.
    No man is worth crawling on this earth.

So much to read, so little time.
  • Stompa
    Stompa Posts: 8,348 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Has anyone come across Aldi with a red light over the door?
    Yes, though only the once, so I had to wait about ten minutes. Mind you, it was a long time ago.

Stompa
  • briskbeats
    briskbeats Posts: 434 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    A won’t purchase again from a friend - Lidl’s Cinnamon Squares. They are still hard when in milk and not as cinnamony as Curiously Cinnamon.
  • Rosa_Damascena
    Options
    Just tried this, which I bought this afternoon for the grand sum of 49p:

Polish Taste Milk Chocolate

The lady at the till said it is delicious, and she is right :D

• harz99
    harz99 Posts: 3,653 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Home Insurance Hacker!
    Options
    Just tried our first Aldi Curry Mayonnaise, a little stronger in taste than the Belgian Frittes Stalls do but still very, very tasty, and I'm not into ordinary mayo...keeps up to 4 weeks after first opening😁. 
  • Bacman
    Bacman Posts: 537 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    edited 11 July 2021 at 7:41AM
    Options
    The other day I had to sling out some Lidl’s fat free Greek yogurt. Opened it 3 days before. Though had another 10 days on bb date - it curdled and stank.

I use the stretchy silicon lid covers and never had a problem 

BBE on dairy means unopened, once you open the product then oxygen gets into it and starts the rotting process, opened dairy should be consumed within 2 days of opening, 3 is usually ok but after that, bin it or not only will be product be unpleasant but also could make you sick. So, for example, if the BBE date is 10th of the month, if you open it on 7th, good (usually) to 10th, 8th to 10th, 9th to 10th (maybe 11th), 10th use on the day; if before 7th then 2 or 3 days later from opening date.

On other note, we love the Lidl version of the chocolate digestive biscuits, about 1/3 the McVities price and we think actually taste even better.
  • Rosa_Damascena
    Options
    Bacman said:
    On other note, we love the Lidl version of the chocolate digestive biscuits, about 1/3 the McVities price and we think actually taste even better.
    Agreed but I prefer the dark ones. Their chocolate hobnobs are also very more-ish.

• LittleVoice
    LittleVoice Posts: 8,974 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Bacman said:
    The other day I had to sling out some Lidl’s fat free Greek yogurt. Opened it 3 days before. Though had another 10 days on bb date - it curdled and stank.

I use the stretchy silicon lid covers and never had a problem 

BBE on dairy means unopened, once you open the product then oxygen gets into it and starts the rotting process, opened dairy should be consumed within 2 days of opening, 3 is usually ok but after that, bin it or not only will be product be unpleasant but also could make you sick. So, for example, if the BBE date is 10th of the month, if you open it on 7th, good (usually) to 10th, 8th to 10th, 9th to 10th (maybe 11th), 10th use on the day; if before 7th then 2 or 3 days later from opening date.

I think you may be misinformed.  Dairy products do not have BBE dates.

They may well suggest that the product should be consumed "within 3 days of opening and before the Use By date" - but I have lived so long that I have not only safety consumed dairy products beyond such dates but survived not having them added to purchases.

I expect those biscuits do have a BB date.  Perhaps they are too enticing, but would you bin those if they ever reached that date?
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.5K Life & Family
  • 248.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure