Good and Bad Buys at Lidl and Aldi stores (***Please don't expire***)

Options

Comments

• briskbeats
    briskbeats Posts: 434 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Has anyone come across Aldi with a red light over the door? My friends and family have never seen one, even on busy shopping days like Dec 23rd and Easter Saturday.
  • harz99
    harz99 Posts: 3,653 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Home Insurance Hacker!
    Options
    Has anyone come across Aldi with a red light over the door? My friends and family have never seen one, even on busy shopping days like Dec 23rd and Easter Saturday.
    Nope, but then again I don't shop at busy times... 
  • harz99
    harz99 Posts: 3,653 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Home Insurance Hacker!
    Options
    As someone whose diet is of necessity based on White meat, I have always used a lot of the frozen 1kg bags of Aldi Everyday Essentials chicken breast fillets.

They should be renamed fillet chunks, as the quality has gone right downhill and most packs are now filled with chunks of huge breasts of very old and tough birds rather than whole breast fillets, no longer a good buy imho. 
  • maman
    maman Posts: 28,705 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I don't use the frozen chicken you posted about but I find the fresh chicken breasts in Aldi all seem huge recently. They taste fine though. 😊
  • 2childmum2
    2childmum2 Posts: 194 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    harz99 said:
    Nope, but then again I don't shop at busy times... 
    The Aldi near me is always green, but I only go there at quiet times.  Last week I had to go to Tesco later in the day and it was heaving, with no social distancing going on at all.  The light there was still green, despite the numbers in the store
  • Speedster2
    Speedster2 Posts: 112 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    maman said:
    I don't use the frozen chicken you posted about but I find the fresh chicken breasts in Aldi all seem huge recently. They taste fine though. 😊
    Like all the plump regular chicken breasts they always seem to shed loads of water when you stir fry it. 
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,785 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Options

No. It's always green when I go.
    But it's not busy because I choose quiet times to shop.

When I went just before Christmas for my dairy and veg, I didn't have to queue but when I came out there was a queue and the light was red. That was about 10am.
  • Rosa_Damascena
    Rosa_Damascena Posts: 6,353 Forumite
    First Anniversary Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper
    edited 24 June 2021 at 10:20PM
    Options
    maman said:
    Clenbuterol?
    No man is worth crawling on this earth.

So much to read, so little time.
  • briskbeats
    briskbeats Posts: 434 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I’m not a fan of chicken breasts bought frozen as don’t have a nice texture to them.
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,785 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Options
    I agree the fresh chicken breasts in Aldi are sometimes large.
    I match them in pairs as best I can, then dice the rest for recipes like goulash, stroganoff or slow cooker dishes.
    I sometimes cut off a bit from the breasts to add to the diced if they are too big. 6 oz per breast is good for us, maximum of 8 oz.
    I buy large packs of all types of meat and weigh, bag up and freeze.
    I've found the quality of the chicken breasts to be good.
    Last time we had them was in a home made blue cheese sauce with new potatoes & green beans
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.5K Life & Family
  • 248.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure