🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Good and Bad Buys at Lidl and Aldi stores (***Please don't expire***)

Options

Comments

• maman
    maman Posts: 28,678 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I noticed a few weeks back that Aldi is now selling own brand lazy garlic. I started a new jar yesterday and saw that the weight is different from my old jar from Lidl. Same price 79p but Aldi has 120g drained weight but Lidl 150g. Definitely worth buying from Lidl. 😁
  • MrsStepford
    MrsStepford Posts: 1,650 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Hello :waves: I am hoping that Aldi shoppers will have tried at least some of these products as I am hoping to do a click and collect next week. 

Specially Selected Pesto Alla Genovese 190g 89p, The Deli Balsamic Vinegar of Modena 500ml 1.29, The Deli Cornichons with herbs 350g 85p, The Fishmonger Fusions Tuna lemon and thyme 80g 89p, The Fishmonger Anchovies in olive oil 50g 49p. The Fishmonger chilli and garlic tuna 80g 89p, 

I'm especially interested in the balsamic vinegar, anchovies and tuna with chilli. 

Many thanks
  • Cornucopia
    Cornucopia Posts: 16,189 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    - Cornichons are good (in fact all the pickled veg is)

- The 80g tuna mixes are good but quite small for the price (they used to be a fair bit cheaper).   The chilli one is quite spicy.
  • maman
    maman Posts: 28,678 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I can't say I've tried any of those times but they sound lush and I'd give them a try. 😋

My go to place for cornichons is Lidl. They're just plain but they sell large jars (670g, drained 370g). They're a bu**er to open but they taste great, really nutty. 
  • Rosa_Damascena
    Rosa_Damascena Posts: 6,339 Forumite
    First Anniversary Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Hello :waves: I am hoping that Aldi shoppers will have tried at least some of these products as I am hoping to do a click and collect next week. 

Specially Selected Pesto Alla Genovese 190g 89p, The Deli Balsamic Vinegar of Modena 500ml 1.29, The Deli Cornichons with herbs 350g 85p, The Fishmonger Fusions Tuna lemon and thyme 80g 89p, The Fishmonger Anchovies in olive oil 50g 49p. The Fishmonger chilli and garlic tuna 80g 89p, 

I'm especially interested in the balsamic vinegar, anchovies and tuna with chilli. 

Many thanks
    Not sure about the SS pesto but the bog standard green and red - about 70p IIRC - are fine. Goes for both Aldi and Lidl, I think its the same stuff.
    No man is worth crawling on this earth.

So much to read, so little time.
  • Rosa_Damascena
    Options
    I was a bit surprised about the pricing of the bottled water in Aldi yesterday: 4x2L (ie 8L) for 99p, fair enough. But I also slung in a couple of 5L bottles without looking at the price and later noted the receipt as 99p each too. Whatever happened to economies of scale?

• Doc_N
    Doc_N Posts: 8,293 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    I was a bit surprised about the pricing of the bottled water in Aldi yesterday: 4x2L (ie 8L) for 99p, fair enough. But I also slung in a couple of 5L bottles without looking at the price and later noted the receipt as 99p each too. Whatever happened to economies of scale?
    It's a prime example of economies of scale. They sell vastly more of the 2L than the 5L.
  • rhcp
    rhcp Posts: 2,036 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Just been in to my aldi after it has been refurbished, they have started putting some fruit and veg in a chiller. I assume to make it last longer.
  • Rosa_Damascena
    Options
    Doc_N said:
    It's a prime example of economies of scale. They sell vastly more of the 2L than the 5L.
    I can be forgiven for having my own interests in mind and not Aldi's :D

• robrymond
    robrymond Posts: 705 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Doc_N said:
    Four bottles is now 85p as well for sparkling so it's actually gone down!
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 6 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure