Good and Bad Buys at Lidl and Aldi stores (***Please don't expire***)

redfox
redfox Posts: 15,338 Forumite
Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
edited 30 July 2021 at 4:21PM in Food shopping & groceries
This is the new Lidl and Aldi buying thread. Please report any good/bad deals, good/bad offers and good/bad products.

The old thread can be found here https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/5960153/good-and-bad-buying-at-lidl-and-aldi-please-dont-expire#latest

«134567229

Comments

  • briskbeats
    briskbeats Posts: 434 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post
    A few things I can’t buy at Lidl:
    . Ginger Ale (mixer)
    . Soda crystals 
    . Lightbulbs
    . cans of lemonade, Fanta type drinks. Though not MSE , I buy cans rather than bottles is that they go flat by the time I drink it.
  • calleyw
    calleyw Posts: 9,823 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    A few things I can’t buy at Lidl:
    . cans of lemonade, Fanta type drinks. Though not MSE , I buy cans rather than bottles is that they go flat by the time I drink it.
    It is MSE as you are not wasting it.  Value is not always the cheapest.  Aldi have a much better choice of cans of own brand drink. 
    Yours
    Calley x 

    Hope for everything and expect nothing!!!

    Good enough is almost always good enough -Prof Barry Schwartz

    If it scares you, it might be a good thing to try -Seth Godin
  • briskbeats
    briskbeats Posts: 434 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post
    Also if I do get £6/8 off £40 at Tesco, I use it on things like different flavoured products such as yoghurts that A or L don't sell. Such as fat free blueberry etc.
  • 203846930
    203846930 Posts: 4,708 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    The Chef's Select Mini Savoury Eggs from Lidl are good enough that I may get them again at full price.
    Bought today reduced from £1.49 to 70p for 12 and had them chopped up on a wrap with a touch of mustard and salad cream.
    MMmmmm....
  • Rosa_Damascena
    Rosa_Damascena Posts: 6,276 Forumite
    First Anniversary Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper
    maman said:
    Thanks for starting a new thread.
    Rather than listing all the items I buy in Aldi, I'd just encourage anyone new to the thread to give Aldi or Lidl a try if you currently shop elsewhere. It's no longer the case that you can't do a full shop in the so called discounters. 
    Its also no longer the case that the so-called discounters offer massive savings - still VfM compared with others, I grant you, but actually quite mainstream now. I'm happy doing 95% of my shop at either, the other 5% tends to be heavy groceries from a supermarket v close at hand.
    No man is worth crawling on this earth.

    So much to read, so little time.
  • maman
    maman Posts: 28,577 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Maybe not massive savings but definitely good value for money and IMO worth shopping there for most things. 

    Of course IF, the soft prunes ever come back in stock in I'd rather buy them at £3.90 per kg in Aldi than £5.20 in Asda. 🤔
  • Rosa_Damascena
    Rosa_Damascena Posts: 6,276 Forumite
    First Anniversary Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper
    maman said:
    Maybe not massive savings but definitely good value for money and IMO worth shopping there for most things. 

    Of course IF, the soft prunes ever come back in stock in I'd rather buy them at £3.90 per kg in Aldi than £5.20 in Asda. 🤔
    They are no longer as melt-in-the-mouth soft as they once were, though.
    No man is worth crawling on this earth.

    So much to read, so little time.
  • briskbeats
    briskbeats Posts: 434 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post
    Won’t buy again: Lidl’s Hula Hoops. Much harder to chew then the branded ones 
  • Rosa_Damascena
    Rosa_Damascena Posts: 6,276 Forumite
    First Anniversary Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper
    Won’t buy again: Lidl’s Hula Hoops. Much harder to chew then the branded ones 
    I bought them on offer a few months ago and quite liked them!
    No man is worth crawling on this earth.

    So much to read, so little time.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback
  • 15.1K Coronavirus Support Boards