Going for Gold with BA in 2021

Comments

• bagand96
    bagand96 Posts: 6,098 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 19 April 2021 at 3:24PM
    JJC1956 said:
    So lets get this straight, you’ve booked £4,500 worth of flights and accommodation to 9 destinations hoping that all curfews will have been lifted and you won’t have to self isolate when you return nor pay for PCR tests at every departure point.
    What is your cell No at Broadmore? 
    Don't be too hard on Butts!  Talking a lot about your status and the lounges is a fairly common side effect of BAEC membership (although I'm not sure they list it in the T&Cs!) ;)
  • Butts
    Butts Posts: 1,289 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    bagand96 said:
    JJC1956 said:
    So lets get this straight, you’ve booked £4,500 worth of flights and accommodation to 9 destinations hoping that all curfews will have been lifted and you won’t have to self isolate when you return nor pay for PCR tests at every departure point.
    Don't be too hard on Butts!  Talking a lot about your status and the lounges is a fairly common side effect of BAEC membership (although I'm not sure they list it in the T&Cs!) ;)
    Look I'm old free and single will be double vaccinated by June sometime and hopefully that will become an important factor.

I've worked all through the pandemic in the front line and want to reward myself.

If you've no commitments there has never been a better time to seek out opportunities you might not normally get. 
  • bagand96
    Butts said:
    bagand96 said:
    JJC1956 said:
    Look I'm old free and single will be double vaccinated by June sometime and hopefully that will become an important factor.

I've worked all through the pandemic in the front line and want to reward myself.

If you've no commitments there has never been a better time to seek out opportunities you might not normally get. 
    And I don't blame at all!  I hope you get away on your breaks and enjoy them!
  • ratechaser
    ratechaser Posts: 1,674 Forumite
    ...and if I were old and free and single (only tick one box there, and not the best one!), then I'd be making a lot more of my BA status than I have done over the past 10 years. But Mrs RC thinks I'm mad for caring about a silver card. Doesn't stop her happily lapping up the lounges, priority check in, security, boarding and seat selection, upgrades etc etc...

I just smile and nod. It tends to work with most things.
  • Butts
    edited 20 April 2021 at 3:59AM
    ...and if I were old and free and single (only tick one box there, and not the best one!), then I'd be making a lot more of my BA status than I have done over the past 10 years. But Mrs RC thinks I'm mad for caring about a silver card. Doesn't stop her happily lapping up the lounges, priority check in, security, boarding and seat selection, upgrades etc etc...

Have had to make my first change - my first leg as well.

Due to go to Belfast from London on May 21st for 3 days.

Unfortunately the NI Executive have given May 24th as reopening date for Hotels in the province and that is merely an indicative date.

Can't wait for BA to twig so thanks to their flexibility am able to take immediate action......

Have cancelled the Belfast Booking and the £120 Deposit will be returned in the form of a voucher, probably later today. Note I have not even paid the balance yet and it's only a month away. Three weeks before with BA not three Months like TUI.

I have substituted Newcastle and booked a package (my son is with me on this one) paying again a £120 Deposit.

The Belfast Voucher will be used to knock off the balance on The Newcastle Booking.

I was tempted with Jersey but can't take the chance on my area having a spike in infections and moving out of their "green zone" - free testing on arrival and the result within 12 Hours while you wait in your hotel room.

@westin this is real flexibility - try doing this with TUI  B)
  • Westin
    Westin Posts: 5,938 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    edited 20 April 2021 at 7:02AM
    @Butts  When TUI build a Sensatori or TUI Blue Hotel and offer 7 night beach holidays in Belfast then I will.
  • Butts
    Westin said:
    @Butts  When TUI build a Sensatori or TUI Blue Hotel and offer 7 night beach holidays in Belfast then I will.
    7 Night Riot Holidays are available I believe - free crash helmet and flak jacket provided.

@Thrugelmir will be pleased to learn I have just made my final booking of the Year and swansong in December to...

Albania  :D

Missed out last year when it was cancelled, one I am looking forward to.

That's a total of 10 between now and December !!!

What will be my final score 7/10 ?
  • bagand96
    I'm sure BA are delighted with the interest free credit facility you are extending them!
  • ratechaser
    ratechaser Posts: 1,674 Forumite
    Westin said:
    Beach is in short supply, but if you wanted a good hotel in Belfast, I'd always recommend The Merchant, if only for the tasteful Art Deco nudie pictures on the bedroom walls  ;)

Butts - I hope your plan regarding reuse of vouchers for an existing booking works, but that's one area where BA can be a bit picky - I think the rules now specifically state that vouchers are for new bookings only, but you may get lucky when you call...
  • Doshwaster
    Doshwaster Posts: 6,135 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary

I never made it to Gold but I spent over 10 years at Silver with a mixture of business and leisure traffic. It's a status you get used to so I wasn't happy when a reduction in business travel a few years ago meant that I dropped down to Bronze and one year even went down to lowly Blue. I still use the Silver tags of my luggage though!

With the reduction in tier point requirements, achieving Silver on purely leisure  travel would be a fun challenge once international flights become easier.

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback