Forum Home» Disability Money Matters

PIR emergency auto dialer gadget with Fobs for those who fall over often ???

New Post Advanced Search
Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.

PIR emergency auto dialer gadget with Fobs for those who fall over often ???

28 replies 296 views

Hi All,
Hope all of you are doing well ?
I have many illnesses and i fall over in the bedroom or toilet etc. I was hoping if anyone can advise me on a budget/cheap gadget which i am sending the link of below. What i need is 1 or 2 Fobs and a similar gadget in the link. The problem with the gadget below is no matter what, you have to reach the gadget coz the fobs ONLY arms or disarms the main auto dialer unit. i need something that the fob button will dial the programmed number/s when button pressed on the fob. I mean if i fell over in the washroom and i would have to crawl to the main auto dial unit to press which ever button. you see. the key fobs only ARMS or DISARMS the main unit. I hope i am clear.
Many thanks to all and await to hear from someone.
Thank you and be safe
Kind regards
AK
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PIR-Motion-Detector-Alarm-Telephone-Auto-Dialer-Home-Alarm-2-x-Key-Fob/383674150060?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

Replies

• Spoonie_TurtleSpoonie_Turtle Forumite
    1.9K posts
    1,000 Posts First Anniversary Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    I don't know what your budget is, but I've seen this personally recommended https://www.handisos.co.uk/product/handi-sos-ios/
    I think it uses your own smartphone to send an alert to your chosen contacts.  Their other (more expensive) device uses its own SIM card to call your contacts until one answers.
  • edited 23 February at 12:32AM
    cymruchriscymruchris Forumite
    1.9K posts
    1,000 Posts Fourth Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭
    edited 23 February at 12:32AM
    I'm not sure how big your house is - or how good you are with technology - or whether you have an Amazon account - but you could have a few of their Echo devices spread around that in the event of difficulty you can shout 'Echo call Margaret' - and a handsfree conversation with Margaret would begin. (If you happen to know Margaret!) 

Another option is an Apple watch, that has an SOS facility, and the later models also include fall detection in case you knock yourself out - it has a reasonable chance of detecting it and triggering an alert. My dad wears one, and on a recent fall it activated. As it happened he was ok, and cancelled the SOS - but it was good that it kicked in. (You just have to charge it once a day for an hour - so doing it when you're watching tv is the best time). I think fall detection was introduced on series 3 - and you can currently get a new budget end apple watch for a couple  of hundred pounds or so - but depends on what you class as 'cheap' and 'budget' when it comes to looking after your health, if it's a little out of reach - you could always consider a used one. (ensuring it's released from its owners account before you buy it - if it's not - it's just an electronic brick)
    An ex-bankrupt on a journey of recovery. Feel free to send me a DM reference credit building credit cards from the usual suspects :) Happy to help others going through what I've been through!
  • alykhalil1alykhalil1 Forumite
    36 posts
    10 Posts Name Dropper
    ....my budget is around £8 to £15....i have a 2 bedroom flat...the link you send me seems pretty expensive who's jobless since 1 year now due to my illnesses....
    36 posts
    10 Posts Name Dropper
    where would i find the cheapest amazon echo.....or which amazon echo is cheapest. i do have account with amazon......
    i have a smart phone Xiomi Mi Max 2......6.4" screen and 64GB + 4GB Ram....with the echo work...
    I mean i can buy that but will i have to carry the amazon echo everywhere i go.....though i do carry my phone everywhere....
  • cymruchriscymruchris Forumite
    1.9K posts
    1,000 Posts Fourth Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭
    ....my budget is around £8 to £15....i have a 2 bedroom flat...the link you send me seems pretty expensive who's jobless since 1 year now due to my illnesses....
    The problem with the one you've linked is that it's more of an intruder alarm rather than a panic alarm. You'd have to be carrying the key fob all the time - and then when you fell - find the keyfob - arm it - then wave your arms about to activate it - too many variables to go wrong there. 

I appreciate your budget is limited - but I'm not sure there's an off the shelf solution available for the budget you have,.

Do you qualify for 0 rate vat based on your condition? Are you under or over 65?

Some councils provide monitoring services. They're usually basic systems. Contact adult social services at your council and ask if they provide them. If they do, they'll arrange a home assessment.
    An ex-bankrupt on a journey of recovery. Feel free to send me a DM reference credit building credit cards from the usual suspects :) Happy to help others going through what I've been through!
    1.9K posts
    ✭✭✭
    In that case social services are probably your best bet, for a pendant alarm.  If you have Google Assistant on your phone that should work too, but I can't remember whether Xiaomi has that or not.  The HandiSOS looks to be about the same as the cheapest versions of Amazon Echo, to be honest.

Do you claim PIP?  (Just checking you're not missing out on help you could be entitled to.)
    36 posts
    10 Posts Name Dropper
    The problem with the one you've linked is that it's more of an intruder alarm rather than a panic alarm. You'd have to be carrying the key fob all the time - and then when you fell - find the keyfob - arm it - then wave your arms about to activate it - too many variables to go wrong there. 

I appreciate your budget is limited - but I'm not sure there's an off the shelf solution available for the budget you have,.

Do you qualify for 0 rate vat based on your condition? Are you under or over 65?

Some councils provide monitoring services. They're usually basic systems. Contact adult social services at your council and ask if they provide them. If they do, they'll arrange a home assessment.
    i dont know if qualify for a zero based vat on my condition but i am getting universal credit and PIP (lowest pay)....I do have google assistance too but most of the time my phone screen is locked and google assistant wont work on locked screens unless screen is unlocked.
    36 posts
    10 Posts Name Dropper
    I have spoken to the councils & Age UK as well but i have t visit them and i am not always in a position to visit them. like i said i have several conditions to be honest.
    1.9K posts
    ✭✭✭
    I don't know anything about social services but I had always assumed they should be able to assess you in your home (or over the telephone, currently).

VAT exemption applies to eligible items if you have a disability, which according to the law: "You’re disabled under the Equality Act 2010 if you have a physical or mental impairment that has a ‘substantial’ and ‘long-term’ negative effect on your ability to do normal daily activities."  From what you've written it sounds like you qualify :)

Google Assistant works for me on my phone and tablet without having to unlock my screen - although both of mine are just swipe to unlock, I don't know if having it security protected would mean it stopped working like that.  Maybe have a look at your Assistant settings to check if there's anything you can tweak in there.  It doesn't seem logical to me to have a hands-free voice-activated assistant that will only work if you physically unlock your phone first.
    36 posts
    10 Posts Name Dropper
    By the way my age is 46 yrs