Rescuemycar Car Breakdown Discussion

Hi,

This is a feedback thread on car breakdown provider:

Rescuemycar

Please share your experience with other MoneySavers. Click reply to take part:
  • Have you experienced problems?
  • How quick did they help?
  • Happy with the overall service?

The feedback comes as part of the Cheap Breakdown Cover guide.

Thank you,

MSE Tony

Comments

• I am coming up to renewal for 1st time. Until this wekend my experience was that they organised with good response for a local recovery agent to deal with issues I have had on 1 or 2 occasions over the year. This time our battery just went late on Thursday before the Bank Holiday. They came out in just over an hour, OK. Recharged the battery. Knowing it was Easter weekend, I was advised to run the car for 20 minutes and gave the car a 30 minute run, and to replace the battery asap. The following day the car would not start. When I asked rescue my car to take the car to a garage (only local) they refused on basis that they had been out for the same fault previously and I had not been to a garage to have the fault sorted in the intervening time. Had I been told that the battery recharge would be such that the car would not start again, I would have driven it to the garage there and then after they came on the Thursday night or got them to take it there which they would have done at the time. They now want to charge more than the annual cover to come out again even though they actually did not properly resolve the problem even temporarily really, given the timing and circumstance (over Easter weekend), and though the advice I was given was not complete.
    This is to the letter of their policy, so beware! They will not come out under the policy to put right bad advice re immediate need to take to garage what they have in my opinion done wrong!
  • jolizzie
    jolizzie Posts: 29 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Hi, I’ve used rescuemycar.com for many years and never needed them but on Monday 7th june warning lights appeared signalling an engine fault.
    travelling from Keswick home to south Devon and a woman alone I pulled off the M6 called them. Waited 18 minutes only to be told if I hadn’t broken down then they couldn’t send anyone and to call my Citroen dealer!!
    very angry and eventually found a Citroen garage in Wigan. Took 11 hours to reach home and felt anxious and very stressed. 
    I wont be using them again
  • I've used them for a long time as they used to consistently be cheapest. I have called them out very occasionally. They use local garages and there is sometimes a long wait (I think 3 hours was the longest) but I've never had any trouble with them recovering the vehicle back home, even from a longish distance. Like any cheap provider of anything, the rules are probably tighter than AA or RAC or Green Flag and the current deal is amazingly cheap so bear that in mind, but for what you pay I think they are pretty solid. They do cover European breakdown but it adds a lot to the policy. I used them once in Europe and, again, longish wait but the local French firm were great when they came.
  • theshed
    theshed Posts: 223 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    jolizzie said:
    Hi, I’ve used rescuemycar.com for many years and never needed them but on Monday 7th june warning lights appeared signalling an engine fault.
    travelling from Keswick home to south Devon and a woman alone I pulled off the M6 called them. Waited 18 minutes only to be told if I hadn’t broken down then they couldn’t send anyone and to call my Citroen dealer!!
    very angry and eventually found a Citroen garage in Wigan. Took 11 hours to reach home and felt anxious and very stressed. 
    I wont be using them again
    Probably of little use to you now but it is always worthwhile making yourself accustomed to the various warning lights. Yellow is usually ok to carry on, but have it checked. Red means stop when safe and call assistance.
  • When I got a quote (this week) I cost me less when I added National Recovery and At Home Assistance.  Odd, but I wasn't complaining.

• MSE Tony please add to your info on the website not to use Rescuemycar if you live more than 10 miles away from your garage as they charge you to take the car there, even if you have their most expensive policy and have paid to have no excess.  Also they do not get to you in the 40 minutes they say - it will be 3 hours from when I called AND they are not even going to attempt to fix the car at the roadside although the info before you pay is that they fix over 75% at the side of the road.  They do not email policy docs to you once you have purchased and only text you a link on your phone to their website which does not work.  If you need your car to be recovered and they need to winch it onto the lorry that will cost extra.  None of this was disclosed prior to the start of the policy.  One to avoid.  
  • Been with them for a couple of years now, although thankfully never had to call them out.

Had my renewal through today for £38 (last year's price was £25).

I requoted via Comparethemarket for £21, then applied the MSE 20% discount code - ended up paying £17ish. 
  • Used in April. Quick at answering my call, after my son had a crash and car wouldn't start. Local recovery agent arrived in about 20 mins in Essex. Loaded car on vehicle and drove home. So good experience of them,
  • theshed
    theshed Posts: 223 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Got a good deal to renew at RAC, matched AA as new customer plus added extra benefits.
    But, wife had to make a late night call-out following two punctures, she hit a protruding kerb !
    They warned arrival could be delayed and arrived in just under two hours. Initially home recovery was suggested by my wife but then it was suggested by the Patrol that a tyre company could be called. An hour or so later the tyre company arrived and two tyres where replaced at a cost of £140. She was on her way some four hours after initial call.
    But in the cold light of day I looked at the tyres, They where low quality part worns, my regular tyre fitter estimated £20 to £25 each. I complained to the RAC on three points. 1) They should have recovered home as asked. 2) Patrol could have fitted spare, requiring only one tyre to be bought. 3) RAC should not be promoting use of poor quality tyres.
    Their response was it was my Wifes responsibility to confirm quality and price of tyres. After 12 hours on a Nursing shift, dropping a Colleague off and now waiting on a cold and wet night she really was in no state to negotiate.
    So, as a gesture of 'goodwill' they refunded the tyre company call-out charge. £30 ?
    So two part worn tyres £110 !
    Sorry for the rant. But buyer beware, as they say. ☹️
  • When you sign up to Rescuemycar, they send you an e-mail asking you to rate their "sign up process" on Trustpilot. The sign up process on their website is very good, that's why the vast majority of people give it 5-stars on Trustpilot (let's be honest, they are not going to make it difficult to take your money off you are they?). However, just because over 70% of people give Rescuemycar 5-stars for their sign up process, it doesn't mean that over 70% of people think that Rescuemycar gives a 5-star service when their car breaks down. If you want to know what kind of service you'll receive from Rescuemycar when your car breaks down, then read through the 1-star and 2-star reviews. The lesson I take from this is to always, always read the reviews on Trustpilot, don't just go by the summary at the top of the Trustpilot web-page that tells you the percentage of people who gave 5-stars, 4-stars, 3-stars, 2-stars and 1-star. Read the reviews. Do NOT go by the stars on their Trustpilot page.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback