NEW old tyres

Options

Comments

• diggingahole
    Options
    AdrianC said:
    I just love trolls on forums...
    Clearly you do.

Never has a poster named themselves so well.

So I take it we won't be getting the extra information on model and size of tyre?
    Why give tyre details to an unhelpful troll, that would be pointless and unhelpful.
    I think I know what the C is for in your user name  B)
  • DiddyDavies
    DiddyDavies Posts: 614 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    edited 23 January 2021 at 12:31PM
    Options
    Ok.. you said 'There is no legal age limit on selling or using tyres in the UK'  WRONG as you have now explained there is legal limits in place, just not for cars .. yet. 
    He didn't state that.
    What he actually stated was:
    AdrianC said:
    The offence will be fitting and using, not selling.
    So it is legal to sell tyres of any age and when the legislation is in force, the offence will only occur if those tyres are actually used on certain vehicles whilst on public roads.

From 1 February 2021 it is illegal for the front (steering) axle or axles of:

• goods vehicles with a gross mass more than 3.5 tonnes
    • buses
    • coaches
    • minibuses and also to the rear axle, or axles, unless equipped with twin wheels

to use tyres aged more than 10-years.

Semantics? no, not really. I can legally sell a device that can be used to scramble the signal from laser speed detectors and it's also perfectly legal for someone to buy this from me.
    The offence only occurs if it's fitted and used on a vehicle on a public road in the UK.

The seller of the tyres hasn't broken any laws and if/when the legislation in question also covers private cars, they can still sell those tyres.
  • diggingahole
    Options
    SUMMARY
    Unlike some very sad people who like to troll on these forums I posted to warn people about dodgy sellers and the importance of really checking the DOT date on tyres. Due to circumstances  I was caught out and have a lot more experience on eBay than most and a lot more motor trade experience than most.
    I posted because 'new' tyres were bought for car I was selling (my own BMW), no one I know in the motor trade has ever seen just how dangerous old stock tyres can be in just a few months and under 500 miles, we suspect apart from fact they were old stock it was how they had been stored.
    If my posting has helped someone avoid buying old/new tyres then putting up with !!!!!! heads who enjoy trolling forums has been worth it... take care and stay safe.  o:)  
  • DiddyDavies
    Options
    SUMMARY
    Unlike some very sad people who like to troll on these forums I posted to warn people about dodgy sellers and the importance of really checking the DOT date on tyres. Due to circumstances  I was caught out and have a lot more experience on eBay than most and a lot more motor trade experience than most.

"and have a lot more experience on eBay than most and a lot more motor trade experience than most."
    More experience than most on eBay yet you bought from a seller who was blatantly in breach of eBay's rules on payments and more motor trade experience than most yet you bought a tyre from a dodgy trader and didn't think to check the manufacturing date before buying?

• sevenhills
    sevenhills Posts: 5,886 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Seems to have 184 +ve and only 1 -ve feedback and that was to do with pick up; not tyre age. But best sticking with recognised distributors for tyres unless they are local and you can go and see/pick up.
    A 99.4% rating is rather low for things like tyres, tech I could understand a low rating, or goods posted from China.
    I guess tyres can be dodgy too, though hopefully this example is the extreme.

• KimJongUn88
    Options
    SUMMARY
    I posted because 'new' tyres were bought for car I was selling (my own BMW), no one I know in the motor trade has ever seen just how dangerous old stock tyres can be in just a few months and under 500 miles, we suspect apart from fact they were old stock it was how they had been stored.
    If my posting has helped someone avoid buying old/new tyres then putting up with !!!!!! heads who enjoy trolling forums has been worth it... take care and stay safe.  o:)  
    Could you therefore help future buyers out by advising where the DOT code is and the format on this specific brand of tyre if they are so hard to find. You’d be helping a lot of people.
  • AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    ...we suspect apart from fact they were old stock it was how they had been stored.
    D'ya think?

I'll repeat that image from one of the vendor's current "new tyre" listings...

No, can't see any likelihood of storage issues there.
  • burlingtonfl6
    Options
    Buy cheap, buy twice
  • born_again
    born_again Posts: 14,448 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Bought 2 new high performance tyres off eBay last year, seller has shop and lists anything between 100-200 items, 95% being wheels and tyres, so a business...
    Not according to eBay customer services who ignore UK law and allow seller to operate without giving name or contact details, even although there own policy states otherwise.
    The 'new' tyres have perished so badly in a few months and less than 500 miles, they are both illegal and very dangerous.
    I contacted the makers (Nokian) support line and have now found out these 'new' tyres were 14 years old when sold to me last year.
    This rogue trader being allowed to trade 'under the legal radar' with eBays blessing could end up killing someone.
    Don't buy tyres from eBay member vk2011vk, if you buy from anyone check the date tyre was actually made. 
    >>>Also tyres collected in the evening,<<<

So you do have their details.

As to paypal, there is no paypal protection on pick up. Especially for a seller. As there is no proof of delivery.
    Life in the slow lane
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure