New Post Advanced Search
Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.

NEW old tyres

33 replies 1K views
diggingaholediggingahole Forumite
45 posts
Tenth Anniversary 10 Posts Combo Breaker
Bought 2 new high performance tyres off eBay last year, seller has shop and lists anything between 100-200 items, 95% being wheels and tyres, so a business...
Not according to eBay customer services who ignore UK law and allow seller to operate without giving name or contact details, even although there own policy states otherwise.
The 'new' tyres have perished so badly in a few months and less than 500 miles, they are both illegal and very dangerous.
I contacted the makers (Nokian) support line and have now found out these 'new' tyres were 14 years old when sold to me last year.
This rogue trader being allowed to trade 'under the legal radar' with eBays blessing could end up killing someone.
Don't buy tyres from eBay member vk2011vk, if you buy from anyone check the date tyre was actually made. 

Replies

• edited 21 January at 5:40PM
    AdrianCAdrianC Forumite
    37.2K posts
    10,000 Posts Seventh Anniversary Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 21 January at 5:40PM
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/205-65-R15-94V-NEW-ACCELERA-TYRES-2-ONLY-COLLECTION-ONLY-PLS-READ-DESCRIPTION/174588152604 - £56 for two...

Looking at a typical new tyre sale from that seller, the obvious question is "Why so cheap, what's the snag?" - and now you know...

The other big clue with those is looking at Accelera's website - the "Epsilon" tyre is not listed - the only one they list in that size is the "Eco Plush" - that, alone, should be a warning of old stock, even if you ignore the state of them in the photo and assume the datestamp on the pic is an error.

You didn't look at the age when they were delivered?
    The manufacture date is marked on a sidewall of all tyres since at least the early 80s.

Four digit code - 2000s. WWYY - week number, year.
    Three digit plus triangle - 1990s - WWY - week number, year.
    Three digit no triangle - 1980s

There is no legal age limit on selling or using tyres in the UK.
    There is a "gentleman's agreement" between manufacturers and reputable retailers that only tyres under five years old should be counted as new.
  • HansOndabushHansOndabush Forumite
    196 posts
    100 Posts Photogenic
    Seems to have 184 +ve and only 1 -ve feedback and that was to do with pick up; not tyre age. But best sticking with recognised distributors for tyres unless they are local and you can go and see/pick up.
  • diggingaholediggingahole Forumite
    45 posts
    Ref checking tyre year when purchased, tyres were advertised as NEW, even after finding the tyres had dangerously deteriorated in 6 months use did I try to find DOT year info, but this has not been easy as the tyres appeared to have no DOT year mark? Can you guess why?
    I am retired but spent 50 years in motor trade, 3 other mechanics (and one was an ex tyre fitter) also could not find DOT year mark. Only after a lot of online investigation over past week and contacting Nokian customer support for a second time did I  finally find the date, so trying to be clever on here really doesn't help.
    BTW you are wrong, law is now in place regarding tyre age on certain vehicles, which may be extended to include passenger vehicles
    45 posts
    This is 'new' tyre after 6 months:
  • edited 22 January at 12:01PM
    AdrianCAdrianC Forumite
    37.2K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 22 January at 12:01PM
    BTW you are wrong, law is now in place regarding tyre age on certain vehicles, which may be extended to include passenger vehicles
    Thank you for agreeing I'm right.

Yes, there will be legally enforceable maximum age limits - but not for cars. Nor are there any officially announced plans to introduce them.
    The offence will be fitting and using, not selling.

From 1 February 2021 it is illegal for the front (steering) axle or axles of:

• goods vehicles with a gross mass more than 3.5 tonnes
    • buses
    • coaches
    • minibuses and also to the rear axle, or axles, unless equipped with twin wheels

to use tyres aged more than 10-years.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/use-of-tyres-aged-more-than-10-years-on-goods-vehicles-buses-and-coaches/tyre-age-restrictions-for-good-vehicles-buses-coaches-and-minibuses

As I said - you've now found out why these were so suspiciously cheap.
    If they really didn't have a DOT date on, that alone should have raised eyebrows - the Nokian winters I bought in 2016 certainly did.
  • Robbo66Robbo66 Forumite
    122 posts
    100 Posts First Anniversary Name Dropper
    You had 2 clues about the tyres and seller, 1. the price £23 each and 2. the fact he doesn't accept paypal. Given that he only offers collection why did you not inspect the tyres before handing over the money
    45 posts
    Robbo66 said:
    You had 2 clues about the tyres and seller, 1. the price £23 each and 2. the fact he doesn't accept paypal. Given that he only offers collection why did you not inspect the tyres before handing over the money
    £23 each? suggest if you want to come on here making sly comments like that you should take the time to read and get facts right, you are referring to one of sellers live listings posted by AdrianC, I paid nearly £100 for two tyres.
    Also tyres collected in the evening, new with labels so never expected them to be 14 years old, and remember 3 mechanics looked at these tyres and could not see DOT date info, in daylight with a torch!!!
    Only after 2 emails to Nokian customer support was it explained
    I now know why but to be honest will not bother to explain on here
    Ref eBay and Paypal, been on eBay for 15 years, over 2000 100% feedbacks, I am certain I know more than you how it works so don't really need advice from you... thanks.
    45 posts
    AdrianC said:
    Thank you for agreeing I'm right.

Yes, there will be legally enforceable maximum age limits - but not for cars. Nor are there any officially announced plans to introduce them.
    The offence will be fitting and using, not selling.

From 1 February 2021 it is illegal for the front (steering) axle or axles of:

• goods vehicles with a gross mass more than 3.5 tonnes
    • buses
    • coaches
    • minibuses and also to the rear axle, or axles, unless equipped with twin wheels

to use tyres aged more than 10-years.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/use-of-tyres-aged-more-than-10-years-on-goods-vehicles-buses-and-coaches/tyre-age-restrictions-for-good-vehicles-buses-coaches-and-minibuses

As I said - you've now found out why these were so suspiciously cheap.
    If they really didn't have a DOT date on, that alone should have raised eyebrows - the Nokian winters I bought in 2016 certainly did.
    Ok.. you said 'There is no legal age limit on selling or using tyres in the UK'  WRONG as you have now explained there is legal limits in place, just not for cars .. yet. Having said that it will probably be brought in for taxis.
    Ref your comment 'As I said - you've now found out why these were so suspiciously cheap' WRONG you never even knew how much I paid for them, they were not really cheap as could have bought mid range tyres for same price anywhere, but wanted same tyres as the 2 good ones already fitted, I like all 4 tyres the same on my cars.
    Why bother coming on here making unhelpful comments when you don't even understand the facts... bit sad really.
  • edited 23 January at 8:06AM
    AdrianCAdrianC Forumite
    37.2K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 23 January at 8:06AM
    There was no legal age limit for any vehicle at the time you bought "a few months" ago.
    There is still no age limit for any vehicle in place as we write now.
    When there is an age limit in place in a week's time, it will not restrict sale, just use.
    When there is an age limit in a week's time, it will not affect tyres of the size and type you bought for the type of vehicle you bought them for.
    I'd say "there is no limit" is a fair one-line summary of that situation, wouldn't you?

If you paid near the normal price for them, and they were advertised similarly to those ones, then I really wouldn't be shouting about that if it was me.

So what tyres (you said Nokian, but what model?), what size?
    Given they're Nokians, I presume they were winters?
  • KimJongUn88KimJongUn88 Forumite
    262 posts
    100 Posts First Anniversary Name Dropper
    ✭✭
    Robbo66 said:
    £23 each? suggest if you want to come on here making sly comments like that you should take the time to read and get facts right, you are referring to one of sellers live listings posted by AdrianC, I paid nearly £100 for two tyres.
    Also tyres collected in the evening, new with labels so never expected them to be 14 years old, and remember 3 mechanics looked at these tyres and could not see DOT date info, in daylight with a torch!!!
    Only after 2 emails to Nokian customer support was it explained
    I now know why but to be honest will not bother to explain on here
    Ref eBay and Paypal, been on eBay for 15 years, over 2000 100% feedbacks, I am certain I know more than you how it works so don't really need advice from you... thanks.
    So where were the DOT codes located and what format were they in?