We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Don't buy phones from AMAZON, phone insurance does not cover them.

Options
hugoprh
hugoprh Posts: 14 Forumite
First Post First Anniversary
Just a background story to what happened, read please, a lot of important information here (in my opinion).
Recently bought a phone from Amazon and it was faulty, so requested a return, the return process looked simple enough and the next day I had someone at my doorstep collecting the phone, the next week the problem starts... I get an email from Amazon saying the phone box was empty, just the charger inside, so I replied to that email asking for help to sort this out, because clearly someone stole my phone, either Hermes staff or Amazon staff, but the only replied I'm getting to all my requests for help, is "Return the phone for a refund", I keep asking for proof that the box was empty, I'm sure they have CCTV, or to escalate this with Hermes, seeing that Amazon picked this well know dodgy carrier company. Days passed with calls and emails to Amazon and same reply every time "Return the phone for a refund", so decided to take different routes, including contacting the police, report it stolen and contact my phone insurance company to report the phone as stolen, after doing so, they said they need the invoice, fine, invoice provided BUT Amazon's invoices do not have the IMEI numbers, required by all phone insurance companies to block stolen phones from being used, so back on the phone with Amazon to request a new invoice with the IMEI number and their reply, sorry we don't keep IMEI numbers of the phones we sell??? This has to be a joke, the biggest retailer in the world doesn't keep track of what they sell? So I'm here to bring awareness to who ever reads this and keep this in mind, when buying a phone from Amazon, if you lose, break or if someone steals your phone, your insurance provider will not be able to help, because Amazon doesn't keep track of the IMEI number. To be hones this sounds dodgy as hell, it basically means, you can return any phone to amazon, as long as it looks the same, doesn't need to be the one you bought from them, because apparently they don't keep track of what they sell.

If anyone as any ideas how I can get my money back would be greatly appreciated.

Happy 2021...

Comments

• JJ_Egan
    JJ_Egan Posts: 20,281 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I bought a phone from Amazon  simple for me to record IMEI and Serial number once phone was in my hands .
    A fair number of missing Phone Amazon returns on this site , oddly though never for a pair of socks .
    My latest high priced item returns to Amazon a photograph each one in the box .
  • hugoprh
    Options
    JJ_Egan said:
    I bought a phone from Amazon  simple for me to record IMEI and Serial number once phone was in my hands .
    A fair number of missing Phone Amazon returns on this site , oddly though never for a pair of socks .
    My latest high priced item returns to Amazon a photograph each one in the box .
    I'm going to start doing the same... But I think even that would not be valid with the insurance company, they said the invoice needs to show the IMEI number, if I had the IMEI number, I'm not sure that would be enough... 
    Thank you for the reply :)

• Jon_01
    Jon_01 Posts: 5,875 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Recording the IMEI yourself won't cut it with any insurance company.  You could in theory put any number down.

The IMEI has to be on the sales invoice or nothing will be done.
  • hugoprh
    Options
    Jon_01 said:
    Recording the IMEI yourself won't cut it with any insurance company.  You could in theory put any number down.

The IMEI has to be on the sales invoice or nothing will be done.
    Yep, that's what I had in mind.
    So there's nothing I can do? Amazon can steal phones without any repercussions? No wonder Jeff is the second richest person in the world, you don't get there by being honest...
  • Neil_Jones
    Neil_Jones Posts: 8,986 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Nothing in the thread implies that Amazon have stolen anything.  If you asked for Hermes to come to the door and you know it was in the box then, then its probably obvious where it's gone.
    Silly question but you did wrap it up in either the Amazon box/packaging with a return label on?  You didn't just give the chap from Hermes literally a phone in a box?
  • hugoprh
    Options
    Nothing in the thread implies that Amazon have stolen anything.  If you asked for Hermes to come to the door and you know it was in the box then, then its probably obvious where it's gone.
    Silly question but you did wrap it up in either the Amazon box/packaging with a return label on?  You didn't just give the chap from Hermes literally a phone in a box?
    No, everything was inside a plain box, with a lot of tape, no way the carrier would have known what was inside. But you're missing the point of this thread, I'm very aware that Amazon or Hermes will not come forward about stealing my phone, what I'm shocked is that there is no way I can claim a theft with my insurance, because Amazon does not record the IMEI numbers (find this hard to believe), so even if I it was different scenario where I needed to make any type of claim with my insurance, this is simply not possible if you the phone is purchased from Amazon. 
  • tonygold
    tonygold Posts: 1,135 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    hugoprh said:

what I'm shocked is that there is no way I can claim a theft with my insurance, because Amazon does not record the IMEI numbers (find this hard to believe), so even if I it was different scenario where I needed to make any type of claim with my insurance, this is simply not possible if you the phone is purchased from Amazon. 
    i've just checked the sales invoice i got from amazon for the phone i bought last september and you are correct. no IMEI number is shown at all. i have never realised that before so am glad you have highlighted this issue.
  • hugoprh
    Options
    Yep, I'm sure a lot more people don't realise this, I normally buy phones on eBay, but this time I thought I would go with Amazon, pay extra for warranty peace of mind and for accidental issues, I thought I could count on my insurance, learned quickly this is not the case. And they're unwillingness to help is amazing, I wrote yesterday a formal complaint and guess what was their reply? "Return the phone for a refund" no help whatsoever, they won't help investigating who stole my phone or with at least sending me an invoice with an IMEI number, so I can have my insurance refund me my money and block the phone from being used. So disappointed at Amazon's service, live and learn I guess...
  • Phones4Chris
    Options
    Keep complaining. Martin is supposed to be doing a feature on his ITV show on mobiles. Watch last week's show on catch up for details and how to send a question! for the show. Having this exposed on National TV should get some movement!!
  • hugoprh
    Options
    Keep complaining. Martin is supposed to be doing a feature on his ITV show on mobiles. Watch last week's show on catch up for details and how to send a question! for the show. Having this exposed on National TV should get some movement!!
    Yep, that's what I've been doing and thank you for the tip, I've now sent an email to Martin Lewis, hopefully this will bring more exposure.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure