New Post Advanced Search

Things not to do in new Lockdown

71 replies 14K views

Replies

• IamdebtfreeIamdebtfree Forumite
    101 posts
    10 Posts First Anniversary Name Dropper
    thorsoak said:
    I've made a decision for non-action during this new Lockdown - and it is - I'm not going to shower every day!    Well, especially whilst its cold and wet and I can't even work in the garden - can only go out for my daily exercise when I will be well wrapped up.    I shall of course, being doing the strip down wash that we used to have daily when we were children (face, hands, neck, knees & naughty bits as we used to call it) - but as I live on my own, there's no-one else to impress/smell good for - only me.   And now that my hair is long, rather than short and requiring a daily shampoo, I intend to shower every 3-4 days!   This way, I'm also saving water - and thereby the planet :-D     Anybody else feel like joining me?    We could call ourselves The Great Unshowered!

No o o o o!! I'm borderline OCD about cleanliness and need to shower every day like I need air!! Twice a day when it's warm outside!
  • IbizafanIbizafan Forumite
    57 posts
    Fifth Anniversary 10 Posts
    Nothing wrong with a good strip wash. I have one every morning, even if I’ve had a bath the previous night. Just a habit from over 60 years of doing it!
  • Mrs_RyanMrs_Ryan Forumite
    11.6K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Our shower went bang the day before NYE and the sparky can’t come until Saturday to fit the new one so I’ve not had a shower in a week :D it doesn’t bother me, I’m happy to just have a wash every day (chronic fatigue, showers wear me out) but OH who is hairier than Guy the Gorilla is starting to complain :D 
    Open University 2:1 Graduate 2017; MA graduate DMU 2019- MERIT!! Round 2 OU 2018- BSc Combined STEM (Sports Psychology) Year 1 PASS! E117 &DE100. Year 2- E235 and U214 .
    Civil Partnered 15/02/20
    #TheEllisGengeFanClub
    o:)Elle 20/02/2014 Dad 20/02/2020 Broken-hearted
  • TBagpussTBagpuss Forumite
    8.8K posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Snuggles said:
    Isn't it quicker just to jump in the shower than have a 'strip wash'? How does that work anyway? I can't imagine being able to stand at the sink and wash all the necessaries without getting water all over the floor!
    No, a strip wash is much quicker, and it's pretty easy - use a sponge or face cloth, wring it out a bit so it's not dripping wet. 
    I rarely get any drips on the floor - it's much less drippy than getting out of the shower!
    I always have a wash this way when i get up and before going to bed - I lived for a long time in a house with no shower, just a bath, (and one of those rubber shower tubes you fit over the bath taps) so  used to wash this way and take a bath a couple of times a week. 
    These days, I do have a shower, but I don't normally shower every day. It's not great for my skin or hair (and I have a lot of hair ) and you can keep just as clean and fresh without! 
    All posts are my personal opinion, not formal advice Always get proper, professional advice (particularly about anything legal!)
  • ripplyukripplyuk Forumite
    2.4K posts
    Seventh Anniversary 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    @Ibizafan @TBagpuss How exactly does this strip washing work? I want to try it. I assume I fill the sink with hot soapy water and use a washcloth. Do I then have to refill with clean water to rinse myself? Do you do everywhere or just certain ‘bits’? 
  • MovingForwardsMovingForwards Forumite
    10.3K posts
    10,000 Posts Second Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ripplyuk said:
    @Ibizafan @TBagpuss How exactly does this strip washing work? I want to try it. I assume I fill the sink with hot soapy water and use a washcloth. Do I then have to refill with clean water to rinse myself? Do you do everywhere or just certain ‘bits’? 
    It's like how you wash is the bath or shower, wet a flannel, soap up and wipe off again. Wash what you want to wash.
  • edited 7 January at 9:56PM
    elsienelsien Forumite
    25K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 7 January at 9:56PM
    Stand on a towel or bath mat. (I don’t like cold feet.) Start off with less festering bits. Finish with the nethers. Sorted. 
    My grandmother used to say she’d know she was getting old when she couldn’t get her feet up to the sink any more. She was in her eighties at the time. 
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • Newly_retiredNewly_retired Forumite
    2.6K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    I have two flannels, one being reserved for down below. I rarely shower( hated them from school days after PE) but I enjoy my baths, though it is getting hard to get out afterwards, so top and tail is the alternative.
  • hb2hb2 Forumite
    1.3K posts
    1,000 Posts Second Anniversary Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    I'm disabled and find a daily shower too much anyway. My hair needs washing about every 5 days, so that's when I shower. It's a strip wash the other days (although I never use soap on the third 'F'). 

I do get fully dressed most days but am wearing my clothes a bit longer than I used to - especially at the moment when we are (temporarily) without a washing machine!
    It's not difficult!
    'Wander' - to walk or move in a leisurely manner.
    'Wonder' - to feel curious.
  • TBagpussTBagpuss Forumite
    8.8K posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    ripplyuk said:
    Personally I don't tend to fill the sink, I usually get the flannel way under the hot tap, wring out the cloth and use it with a bit of soap to wash then rinse it out and use it (slightly wetter) to 'rinse' and get any soap off. As to what you wash, depends on what you've been doing. I always do my armpits and crotch, if I've been wandering round in bear feet I'll do them as well. I'm rarely doing anything which makes me actually dirty so it's really about washing anywhere you've used deodorant or makeup or other products, and anywhere that 's potentially sweaty or smelly - so I find in hot weather I get sweaty under my breasts and where my bra fits so I do those bits as well. 
     I have a separate flannel I use for my face (inclosing behind the wars!) 
    All posts are my personal opinion, not formal advice Always get proper, professional advice (particularly about anything legal!)