We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
The Best Is Yet To Come
Comments
-
Time for a sit down. All of the machines were turned on for the free hour of energy. Cooking the roast chicken earlier than normal, washing machine and dishwasher are cleaning and DD1 had her shower.
I have also been to aqua aerobics this morning and then stayed in the pool while DS and DD2 went for a swim. I am now tied and lacking the energy needed to complete the jobs, but will get up shortly and try again.
I need to sort the guttering / down pipe out on our garage as last time we had lots of rain I could see it looking like it was blocked and water spirting out of the joints. I have never tackled something like this before so may have to google it or get my dad to help me. I would also like a water but attached to it but not sure if possible as the garden is on a hill. Might as well get free water next year rather than the plants dying off again. So I will go and see if I can get to the downpipe but if not will start googling
Me, DD1 20, DS 18, DD2 15, Debt Free 04/18, Single Mum since 11/19
Gym was it worth it pot £139.40/£300 (started 25.05.2026)1 -
Made it to the middle of the week. Got a few minutes before we need to leave and as yet no sign of DD2. Its been a busy few weeks but work is starting to calm down a little now. Out of school still seems to be really busy. Tomorrow night we won't stop until about 8pm as have training at work whilst grandad takes kids to the dentist, then school open evening and then a revision session on zoom for both of DD2 and me. I need to think of what we can have for dinner that can be in the slow cooker, so we can grab it while we are on a zoom meeting maybe.
DD1 announced yesterday that she is now vegetarian - not sure how long it will last but as no warning we dont have much in the house suitable. I dont mind as I almost stopped eating meat myself and love veggie meals now, but a little notice would have been good. Will need to make sure she is getting everything she needs from it, but maybe it will help our health and budget?
Will catch up more with diaries later as time to go :)
Me, DD1 20, DS 18, DD2 15, Debt Free 04/18, Single Mum since 11/19
Gym was it worth it pot £139.40/£300 (started 25.05.2026)3 -
Work is so busy and I have been kept busy in the evenings as well with activities mainly for the children. DD2 has extra learning after school most days as she is now Y11 and exams are looming, so I seem to be going back and forth or staying later than I should at work to avoid going home for 45 min. I then seem to have at least 1 grumpy child having a go at me at anyone point, and more often than not, it is more than 1. I really don't think it is my fault, but starting to wonder.
A few money saving bits that I have managed in the last week or so:
- The benefit debt that I shouldnt have been paying back was refunded to me, and hopefully no more will be taken.
- I have swapped my pet insurance and now have to hope that the cats stay trouble free for the initial 14 days I believe. Fingers crossed that this is money saving!
- DD1 being veggie has meant we have hardly bought any meat (only really for DS as his diet is very minimal as it is and butter beans do not do it for him!). She did however want to have Maccy D's meat burger last night. I said we are not buying takeaways and she settled with the stir fry. Anyway the veggie food shopping seems to be cheaper at the moment. I am still not convinced that she will stick with it, but even if she doesn't we will be factoring in a few more meatless meals each week.
Other than that it has been work / home / activities / sleep, then repeat. I feel it is going to be like this until at least Christmas. The older 2 are at least back at uni and DD1 has been allowed to go back to her old job but is training again for the next 2 weeks so is having to miss the first week and a half of uni (when signing up it was pre uni but it was changed at the last minute).
We have only been managing to get to the pool once a week since the holidays finished but I guess that is better than nothing.
We have DD1's 21st bday on Saturday and wants to go out for a curry. Only 2 of us eat curry so I need to see what else is on the menu that the others will eat. It may end up with 2 takeaways, 1 curry, 1 pizza.
Right I had better go and get ready for the next activity
Me, DD1 20, DS 18, DD2 15, Debt Free 04/18, Single Mum since 11/19
Gym was it worth it pot £139.40/£300 (started 25.05.2026)0
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.5K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards