We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

The Best Is Yet To Come

1…253254256258259

Comments

  • slm6002
    slm6002 Posts: 4,681 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper

    Thank you. Yes the older 2 have their own money so as you say anything extra to basic meals will need to bought themselves. I need to say no to the takeaways (by getting meals in the freezer ready for days I am exhausted) and to meal plan properly and no buying things on a whim. I am not sure if I am being naive with thinking it will be ok or just going with the positive thinking, as I feel I have coped before. Plus we are not at the point of not being able to afford things yet, but just not as much.

    I have been back over to the old style moneysaving boards which is where I used to hang out. I have been thinking about what we used to do to help find the best deals (visit multiple shops and get the deals from each one rather than everything from one shop). I need to up the following on Olio to grab a freebie when I can (it has been quiet around here for some time).

    I also need to be realistic about moving. While I can still afford the small mortgage that I would need it would certainly make things much harder. I so want to move but I also need to realise that I have a house that I can afford and is relatively cheap to run. Maybe now is not my time. If not how to I make myself love my house again other than suggesting that XH and his judging family to move to Australia maybe?

    Tomorrow is another day and I need to get to sleep.

    Me, DD1 20, DS 18, DD2 15, Debt Free 04/18, Single Mum since 11/19
    Gym was it worth it pot £139.40/£300 (started 25.05.2026)
  • slm6002
    slm6002 Posts: 4,681 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper

    This morning I have been to meet a friend for cake and done a lot of listening of her woes. I am not sure I really got to say much but hopefully she felt better by the end of it. I then took DD2 for her yearly haircut. She is not happy with it as she asked for layers but we cant see any layers. Only problem is, is that she said nothing until we had left. It does however look a lot neater. DD1 will help her tomorrow in sorting it out.

    DD1 moved her pile of dirty washing from the landing, only to find a nice surprise from one of the cats all over it. That is now in the washing machine on a hot wash! I have also cleaned the carpet.

    Please feel free to pass this section as I am only going on about house moving or not again and you must all be fed up with it - sorry……I have been looking at what can I do to make it feel like I want to stay? I have looked online at ideas and if I am honest I am still not sure either way. I have sent the new figures off to my mortgage guy so I guess we will see what he says but probably not until next week now. I think my head will say stay and heart will say go.

    I need to go and cook something for me and DD2 as the others are sorting themselves out. Not sure but will probably be a pasta dish again of some sort. I plan on then having a little watch of the tv and an early night

    Me, DD1 20, DS 18, DD2 15, Debt Free 04/18, Single Mum since 11/19
    Gym was it worth it pot £139.40/£300 (started 25.05.2026)
  • slm6002
    slm6002 Posts: 4,681 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper

    This morning I walked into town (saving petrol, parking as well as getting some steps in while the sun shone). I was there to collect my glasses. I had to take them back a few weeks ago as they do not work when I am at the computer, which was the whole point of getting them. They had given me reading glasses instead. So forward to today I went in and put them on - nope I can not see a thing. They had replaced the reading glasses with a 2nd pair of reading glasses. This whole process has just been a string of errors and poor service since I went there. I only went as the voucher from work was for their. I should have stuck with my optician. Anyway they have reordered them and this will be their last chance before I back to my normal people.

    On the way home I picked up some bread and jacket potatoes. We didn't need much so rather than risking buying lots I went in on the way home as it meant I could only buy what I could carry!

    Today DD1 didn't really have anything going on so I got her to think about filling the freezer and working out what we need for it. She was enthusiastic for a while but has now gone out to a local green space for the afternoon. I am guessing she is meeting up with the XBF, who seems to be more like a BF at this point again.

    I am also looking at things to do in the coming months that are free. There is normally plenty around if you know where to look for it. I just need to write it down and remember to go

    Me, DD1 20, DS 18, DD2 15, Debt Free 04/18, Single Mum since 11/19
    Gym was it worth it pot £139.40/£300 (started 25.05.2026)
  • debtfreewannabe321
    debtfreewannabe321 Posts: 11,034 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic

    I have that problem I see things and think I should do that...and then forget..I think I will start writing it down too as there isn't much to do around here when it gets miserable.

    On the house front ...if you have to stay, it could work in your favour until one or two kids move out. Then you'd be able to downsize and possibly afford something nice and smaller and take a lower amount on your house to get rid of it quickly. I think the end goal for you would be to move and cut ties but perhaps the timing isn't right yet. If you need to stay I'd just make the house yours again, decorate any room that reminds you of your old life with ex and make it completely different. Are any kids likely to move out in the next year or so? My DS1 ended up moving out at 21 and your DD isn't far off that…

    Emergency Fund - £1000 
    Baby cash emergency fund £210/250 
    Mortgage OP goal 2026 - £1200/£4500 
    Read 24 books this year 24/24

  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 101,233 Ambassador
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Academoney Grad Mortgage-free Glee!

    Absolutely shocking service from the optician.

    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** in ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger.
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan. 13 months left.
  • slm6002
    slm6002 Posts: 4,681 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper

    Thank you both. Apparently the opticians already has quite a reputation of being hopeless but that is where I was sent for free with work, and I had no prior knowledge of them lesson learnt.

    As for the house, DD1 is desperate to move out but will not be able to buy for another couple of years as she is still a student so doesn't have a full time income for her mortgage, and doesn't want to rent. She has her bottom drawer almost full and ready to go when the time comes, and her deposit is growing well. DS will probably not move out until I kick him out at 40 lol, as he sees no need. I have made it far too comfortable for him I feel. And DD2 will possibly move out for uni in maybe 3 years but I can also see her doing as the other 2 have done and commuting to uni nearby. I think it would be at least another 6 years for her.

    I think it is more the area and neighbours more than the house as such, which obviously I can not change without moving. He goes to the gym on the next road over every day so I avoid going that way to get out the estate. His friends live along the road and I see him and his van going by all of the time. I just feel I am being watched constantly and have felt that since he left.

    Don't get me wrong the house needs some more updating but not really because of him. I think I got rid of him fairly soon after I realised it was not my fault he left.

    We will see, and I guess when the agent decides to repost things to gain interest, I should have had the mortgage man get back to me and know what is realistic. I guess at that point the decision will need to be made.

    DFW I am also writing down the tv shows that interest me, because we always seem to stick to the shows on re-run and then just before bed remember oh yes I was going to watch that.

    Me, DD1 20, DS 18, DD2 15, Debt Free 04/18, Single Mum since 11/19
    Gym was it worth it pot £139.40/£300 (started 25.05.2026)
  • slm6002
    slm6002 Posts: 4,681 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper

    Today I will be going to aqua aerobics which I enjoy although at this moment it is seeming like a lot of effort, but I will go and I will enjoy it. I also have quite a bit of washing to get done and I think as the sun is due to shine today I will get that dried outside.

    I am going to get some meals in the slow cookers and get those portioned up and into the freezer. I am also going to get some dump bags ready so I can just defrost and put in the oven. The house once again just needs a general tidy up and the kids need to be in the mood for helping it seems. Fingers crossed today is the day.

    Me, DD1 20, DS 18, DD2 15, Debt Free 04/18, Single Mum since 11/19
    Gym was it worth it pot £139.40/£300 (started 25.05.2026)
  • slm6002
    slm6002 Posts: 4,681 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper

    Today has been another fairly calm and chilled day so far. I went to aerobics and DD2 went to the gym at the same time. I must have given it my all as my body feels achy this afternoon. As always it was fun.

    Several loads of washing completed and returned to the correct rooms for putting away. I finally got a meal into the freezer for when I am tired. Need to do some more, but at least it is a start.

    I have received my pet insurance renewal and the price has gone up quite a lot so I went on to the comparison website and was shocked at the difference in prices. I have not done this before as the vets led us to the one we use and having never had pet insurance before so just went with it. I was and still am a little unsure if we can move if we have claimed for things which might be existing conditions. We are paying several times as much as what it looks like we should be paying. I need to look again tomorrow and maybe call some companies to check but if I can pay £13 a month for the 2 cat combined rather than £93 a month for not a lot different then it is time to change. There are no ongoing treatments, but unsure if a uti would be covered if they have already had one, that sort of thing. I am going to try to call and get some direct comparisons tomorrow as £80 a month extra would be very useful right now. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

    Off to deep condition my hair as the chlorine is not helping it. Night night

    Me, DD1 20, DS 18, DD2 15, Debt Free 04/18, Single Mum since 11/19
    Gym was it worth it pot £139.40/£300 (started 25.05.2026)
  • Jessy103
    Jessy103 Posts: 2,812 Forumite
    Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper

    Hi slm, on the pet insurance, one of our dogs has uti problems so we do have to declare that as an existing condition, so i would say it would be best to declare it because if it were to happen again the vet would have the previous visit on their records that the insurance company would have access to. I would recommend Tesco pet insurance, i have had to claim from them a couple of times and they have been very good and done it through our vets directly and through us with no issues, they also have a discount for multiple pets and you can get money off if you have a club card. Hope that helps a little bit x

    I've been mortgage free once, so let's do it again!
    Starting balance March 26 £191,274.53
  • slm6002
    slm6002 Posts: 4,681 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper

    Yesterday I looked at the insurance and while several pre-existing things will not be covered, hopefully any major things will be. I think the extra costs needed would be do able if and when they come up. It makes no sense to pay so much but then again 'what if'….

    I also heard back from the mortgage man and things are still do able, but that is if we can sell for our current price. I guess the estate agent need to make sure we get that price. I am obviously watching potential local houses on the market. So many are selling and then coming back on the market. If I do get a sale I will be a nervous wreak until everything is signed on the dotted line and we are moved.

    Nothing has been planned today. DD1 went to work, but other than a few more loads of washing we havent done much other than relaxing.

    Me, DD1 20, DS 18, DD2 15, Debt Free 04/18, Single Mum since 11/19
    Gym was it worth it pot £139.40/£300 (started 25.05.2026)
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.