We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
The Best Is Yet To Come
Comments
-
Felt like we got a lot done yesterday as the half of the house was cleaned. Several rooms look a lot better including the kitchen until DD1 cooked for us! Anyway I am aiming to complete the other rooms today.
We didn't get the forecast storms yesterday but it is looking quite cloudy today and we have already had 1 downpour that lasted a few minutes. I am imagining we might get several little rain spells today so no chance of drying things on the line today.
Last month I wrote off to a company about a product I purchased. The storing of the chocolates had obviously suffered in the heat as they had gone really bad. Whilst I had hoped to get my money back for the 2 packs that I bought but couldn't eat (which if you know me means they must have been bad), but instead I went to put the bin out yesterday and found a box wedged between the bin and the wall. We had been in all day so not sure why it was there. Anyway there were 6 packs of chocolates in it. I am now going to need to be very restrained not to eat them all in quick succession. That was a very nice surprise.
Today DS and I have a meeting with his SEND person at the uni. It is online so no need to leave home. I think we are sorted for what he needs but will be worth meeting with him. I am also hoping DS can sort my printer out as since the broadband change over it will not get online and allow me to print. I have tried everything I can think of but hoping DS with his techy mind can sort it.
Hopefully today will be a no spend day and a getting sorted type of day. Its getting darker so guessing more rain is on its way
Me, DD1 20, DS 18, DD2 15, Debt Free 04/18, Single Mum since 11/19
Gym was it worth it pot £139.40/£300 (started 25.05.2026)2 -
I also went through my 2 drawers of tops yesterday. 1 is for work and the other is for home. I managed to pull out those that I no longer wear or have holes in / have seen better days. I will aim to do the jumpers today and then if time start on the things under my bed. I can then take the bag to the recycling / charity bins.
I am slowly getting there
Me, DD1 20, DS 18, DD2 15, Debt Free 04/18, Single Mum since 11/19
Gym was it worth it pot £139.40/£300 (started 25.05.2026)1 -
DD2 had a concert yesterday afternoon to help raise money for fire engines in ukraine. It was fairly well attended and I got to wander the localish town or rather several of their supermarkets as needed free parking!
I bought a few things to stock up on and some bits that would be helpful in the months to come. When we go to the Christmas lights we take a hot chocolate with us, so I bought the paper takeaway Christmas mugs for that, and some Christmas stocking fillers that I saw that would be suitable. These all come out of the Christmas pot, so will update that shortly.
Friday night DD1 and her friend went to bingo at the local village hall and came home £140 better off. This is the 2nd time they have been and the first time the friend won £300. I have said that when the friend is back at uni maybe I can go with her too. As I was playing taxi she bought me a bar of chocolate with her winnings, which was enjoyed.
Not sure we have done much else but the house is a tip so that will probably be todays job. I am back at work bright and early on Tuesday so need to get organised a bit more tomorrow. I need to adjust my work trousers as they are too big on my waist. I need to look presentable on the first day back at least as we are off to see the whole group. A meal plan for the rest of the week will be needed too as this first week back will be crazy.
Me, DD1 20, DS 18, DD2 15, Debt Free 04/18, Single Mum since 11/19
Gym was it worth it pot £139.40/£300 (started 25.05.2026)1 -
Well that is the summer holidays over for another year. I am showered and ready for bed. Clothes, bag and train ticket for our annual meet up is all ready for the early get up in the morning.
It has been a mixture of resting and organising today. I still haven't got round to the meal plan but do know that I will probably put the ham in the slow cooker tomorrow before I go, ready for ham chips and beans tomorrow night. What comes after that will be a surprise lol.
I haven't got everything that I wanted done but I do feel rested which is better than last year. Right time for bed :)
Me, DD1 20, DS 18, DD2 15, Debt Free 04/18, Single Mum since 11/19
Gym was it worth it pot £139.40/£300 (started 25.05.2026)2 -
Well glad that is done for another year. It is such a long day to have as a first day back and no one really gains a lot from it. Oh well it isnt up to me. Back in the office today though for some more learning and then this afternoon I think I may be able to actually get on with some work.
My first job this morning was to clear up after the cat that has decided that my bedroom carpet is clearly smelling too fresh for her liking and decided that was her new spot for toileting. I am just glad I didn't step in it at 4am when I got up to use the toilet!
I have woken DD2 up as it is her last day of holidays and she needs to get used to mornings again. Not sure she agrees or will actually get out of bed once I have gone, but I tried. Tomorrow she will have not choice or she can walk to school.
I need to make some lunch and get moving as its time to get going.
Me, DD1 20, DS 18, DD2 15, Debt Free 04/18, Single Mum since 11/19
Gym was it worth it pot £139.40/£300 (started 25.05.2026)1 -
Having a quick sit down after having just eaten my dinner. On the way out of a very long day at work, I had a call from the estate agents. We have a viewing tomorrow evening at 5pm. I have asked if hours today can be taken back tomorrow (not sure I have time with everything needing to be done at work, but hey ho), so I can do the last minute bits and bobs.
So fingers crossed this is the one, but if not at least the kids have been made to sort their rooms out.
Me, DD1 20, DS 18, DD2 15, Debt Free 04/18, Single Mum since 11/19
Gym was it worth it pot £139.40/£300 (started 25.05.2026)2 -
Fingers crossed for the viewing 🤞 x
I've been mortgage free once, so let's do it again!
Starting balance March 26 £191,274.530 -
Ooo good luck 🤞🏻 x
Emergency Fund - £1000
Baby cash emergency fund £210/250
Mortgage OP goal 2026 - £1200/£4500
Read 24 books this year 24/240 -
Positive vibes.
I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.
Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** in ~~Japanese proverb. ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger.
One debt remaining. Home improvement loan. 13 months left.0 -
Good luck 🍀
Debt Busting Again in 2026!
Starting Debt 03.05.26 = £5345 Current Total 01.09.26 = £3442
Clear M&S Card Starting Balance 03.05.26 £600 Cleared 05.07.26 💚
Clear V12 Finance Starting Balance 05.07.26 £600 Cleared 12.08.26 💚
Clear Barclaycard Starting Balance 12.08.26 £940 Current Total 01.09.26 £742
0
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.5K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards


