Powers’s mortgage free thread

Replies

• powerspowerspowerspowers Forumite
    748 Posts
    500 Posts First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Well done on the NSDs ,i am trying to do the same but finding it very difficult
    I hate online shopping and don’t go anywhere atm so it’s easy in lockdown! Although I don’t count things out the joint account as spends which helps 😂 

Still nothing from new house solicitors. We are only minutely further forward than when we put the offer in in November 😖 
    Nothing on right move at the price we want, option 2 is £60k more and just don’t want to. Mortgage would be until T is 69! Even with my ambitious overpayment plan I can only get it down to 15yr... our goal is 8yr. 😩
    MFW 2021 #76 £5,145
    MFW 2022 #27 £3,530 / £7,200 target 

748 Posts
    Forumite
    Oh and I bought an ebook 😂 
    MFW 2021 #76 £5,145

748 Posts
    Forumite
    2 spends-
    £188 glasses
    £150 car repair 
    My opticians haven’t done the form correctly for my eye care vouchers which should be £55 off. I’m going to ring them on Monday and query it. 
    Feb wage is going to have a mileage claim in it (been redeployed elsewhere) so will cover the car repairs. 
    So failed at my budget but not too badly (although a lot of month left!)

house is painful and I’m not sure if we are going to end up renting whilst another property comes up. Going to keep pushing for this one as it’s a bargain. 
    Setting the goal of being mortgage free has really helped with our decision making. A few alternative properties have appeared that are more ££, this approach means we can frame it as “is that house worth X years” which is easier to grasp then “a nicer house for an extra £20k”. So far none have been worth it! 
    MFW 2021 #76 £5,145

• GroggedGrogged Forumite
    865 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    Sorry to hear your seller is dragging their feet.
    Do you think the proposed stamp duty extension will help move things along?
    If it's not adding up, compound it!
    748 Posts
    Forumite
    Hi grogged. I’m not sure. Originally they were moving in with family and now there’s apparently an onward purchase, the estate agent is on the case to find out more. Our purchase price is £170,000 so the stamp duty is £400- obviously I’d rather have it in my pocket but it’s not a deal breaker. 
    Good news is the our solicitor has received their pack, she only got it late yesterday but it’s progress 🥳
    No spend weekend planned! 
    MFW 2021 #76 £5,145

• edited 19 February 2021 at 12:09PM
    powerspowerspowerspowers Forumite
    748 Posts
    Forumite
    edited 19 February 2021 at 12:09PM
    nearly pay day! I had to pull out some savings to cover the car (£259) and the glasses. Only other spend has been chocolate 😋 

Next month I’m going to pay back the savings and pay the last instalment on our new bed, We’ve managed to pay for it without touchy the moving house money which I’m pleased about.

OH has had a small inheritance and bought a car. This will help with monthly costs as he currently drives a small truck and has a huge commute. Just need to get the truck sold now which is going into his savings- after years of me being the saver and him being the spender, I’m pleased he’s come to my way of thinking!

house news- we’ve finally had stuff from the solicitors which I’m going to trawl through this afternoon. It’s not complete though 🙄 but our solicitor is chasing it up. Maybe we will move this year!  
    MFW 2021 #76 £5,145

748 Posts
    Forumite
    Yay it’s payday!
    not that the money stays around for long 😂 I’ve repaid the car money to OH and my savings, put £50 in the wedding pot and am going to pay off the bed we’ve ordered. After that, regular bills & moving my contribution to the joint account I’m left with £215 for the month. 👏 

I’ve been putting off both dentist and chiropractor due to lockdown but I really need both so I’m trying to convince myself to go. Which probably means another frugal month but I think it’s the right thing to prioritise. 

In more exciting news, our new mattress is here! It’s lush and if it lasts as long as it should, worth every penny.

Work should settle down for me next week so I’m going to try to speak to the wedding venue. We currently have a wedding booked for 110 people in July (flat fee) we do have the option to cancel up to May but I’d really like to explore what our middle ground options could be. I don’t think I can handle waiting and seeing where we are on the “road map”. A lot could change by then! 

Zero house news so will chase estate agent as well. 
    Happy March wannabes xx
    MFW 2021 #76 £5,145

748 Posts
    Forumite
    2 spends this weekend
    £59 new tyre 🙄
    £22 refurbished fitbit- I’ve signed up for a steps challenge and thought it would improve my chances. I’m back working from home next week and want to get in good habits moving about and leaving the house everyday. My mental health has taken a battering since January so hoping to reset a little 🙂

MFW 2021 #76 £5,145

• GroggedGrogged Forumite
    865 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    Shame about the tyre, but the news about the wedding venue sounds positive!
    I hope the Fitbit works out for you.
    If it's not adding up, compound it!
  • LeighofMarLeighofMar Forumite
    459 Posts
    Third Anniversary 100 Posts Name Dropper
    So sorry to hear about all the chaos with the house. That is so frustrating. Hope once you're all settled in, you will have more peace and can start this new chapter in your lives.
    Mortgage start date Dec 2015 - $64,655.00
    Mortgage end date Dec 2045 - NOT!!!!
    Mortgage balance end of July 2021 - $28,550.00
    Hope to be mortgage-free by 2023