Options

Comments

• Scottex99
    Scottex99 Posts: 759 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    edited 26 August 2021 at 8:54AM
    Options
    Scottex99 said:

On another point, if you hold £1000 of BTC on a portfolio of £100,000 and it doubles in value, you still have only made 1%. 
    Weird way to measure your portfolio?

You still have only made a 1% gain assuming the portfolio (of different assets?) is now also at exactly 200k, which it wont be.

Presuming they meant if the Bitcoin doubles in value, not the whole portfolio. 

You would go from 100k to 101k (1% gain on whole portfolio). 
    Yeah I get that but that's the same for any small % of your portfolio regardless? 

If you buy £1k of BTC or Tea Leaves and they are now worth £2k, then you doubled your money. Yes it's still a small % if you have 100k in stocks regardless. I don't get the point other than some people are more risk averse than others.

I have a large amount of my net worth in crypto because 1. I got in fairly early and 2. I dont care about risk too much as I have a good monthly income anyway. Not for everyone but works for me. Even if I factor in the whole crypto market plummeting in value tomorrow
  • Ibrahim5
    Ibrahim5 Posts: 1,019 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    I have never bought any crypto but there are now over 6000 currencies and the number is increasing exponentially. There must be more to be made by buying new currencies rather than well established ones. If I pick the right one I could be a billionaire. What when there are more currencies than people? Can we all have our own currency?
  • terratus
    terratus Posts: 21 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    Ibrahim5 said:
    I have never bought any crypto but there are now over 6000 currencies and the number is increasing exponentially. There must be more to be made by buying new currencies rather than well established ones. If I pick the right one I could be a billionaire. What when there are more currencies than people? Can we all have our own currency?

Smaller coins/tokens provide more upside but only if they actually achieve what they set out to do. The majorty of people allocate part of their portfolio between large/mid/small cap projects, could be 50/30/20 for example.
    When regulations come in I believe a lot of coins will cease to exist overtime (for starters the thousands of completely useless meme/joke tokens). Knowing the 'right' coins to invest in is obviously key, as with investing in non-crypto companies.
  • Scottex99
    Scottex99 Posts: 759 Forumite
    Options
    Ibrahim5 said:
    Over 10,000 at last count, 90% will never do anything and will be worth 0.

The good ones have already done well and will continue to do so, in theory
  • Malthusian
    Malthusian Posts: 10,975 Forumite
    Options
    Ibrahim5 said:
    I have never bought any crypto but there are now over 6000 currencies and the number is increasing exponentially. There must be more to be made by buying new currencies rather than well established ones.
    That is the penny share scammer's fallacy. A 1p share is no more likely to go to £1 than a £1 share is to go to £100. The same applies to crypto tokens.
    The vast majority of new tokens will dump to zero, just as most penny shares go nowhere or bust. I don't think it will ever happen to Bitcoin or the other cryptos with a critical mass, any more than gold will ever dump to its pure industrial value. As a counterexample, AAPL was a well established company that had mooched around for decades before it went to the moon.
    The potential upside of any crypto is the same, infinity. The chance of any crypto going up by any given amount is essentially random.
    If I pick the right one I could be a billionaire.
    If you can find people willing to lose a billion quid in your new crypto, then sure, no reason why not. Punters' money in == punters' money out.
    What when there are more currencies than people? Can we all have our own currency?
    Of course you can. Takes fifteen minutes to set up your own ERC-20 scatcoin or on any other blockchain of your choosing.
    The number of limited companies in the UK is growing at a significantly faster rate (8%) than the population (0.5%). It is therefore inevitable that some day there will be more limited companies in the UK than people. (Statistically speaking at least, let's leave logic out of this.) There is no reason the same can't be true of cryptos.
  • thegentleway
    thegentleway Posts: 1,002 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    Bitcoin came up on one of the podcasts I listen to which might be of interest to people following this thread:

Debate: Bitcoin vs Gold with Anthony Scaramucci and Peter Schiff
    https://podcasts.apple.com/gb/podcast/intelligence-squared/id708371900?i=1000532920960
    No one has ever become poor by giving
  • tranquility1
    Options
    BlackRock and Lloyds buying up residential properties too.

When these in-the-know institutions start parking their money in hard assets you should know something is about to happen.

1 in 7 residential homes in the USA were bought by institutions such as BlackRock in Q1.
  • Adyinvestment
    Options
    I wish Bitcoin would actually do something and stop doing this lazy sideways crab walk for weeks, this is supposed to be a highly volatile asset! :)
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback