Deliveroo Credit Card Cloning Query?

in Credit Cards
79 replies 22K views

Replies

• born_againborn_again Forumite
    6.9K Posts
    1,000 Posts Second Anniversary Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭

But any reasonable security system will simply prevent you doing this. So you are, in effect, saying that there is a security problem somewhere.

The issue is that they use a multitude of sites many of them charities or small retailers. Some even set up for the purpose. Always overseas. Retailers in many cases have very poor or no actual security. Will never do anything about the fact that they are getting high % of failed transactions.
    Yes the dud ones get picked up at banks end. But once they find a live one. They can go on to other higher value sites.

You are right there is a security issue. It's called having to pay for goods.

You can not have any payment system that is 100% secure.. 
    Life in the slow lane
  • brianposterbrianposter Forumite
    1K Posts
    Eighth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    born_again said: The issue is that they use a multitude of sites many of them charities or small retailers. Some even set up for the purpose. 
    I was under the impression that sellers were now required to use payment card processors, and one would have expected that the processors systems would have to be approved by Visa/Mastercard.

• PhredEPhredE Forumite
    1 Post
    First Post
    MoneySaving Newbie
    Just found similar item on my Barclaycard statement. (Deliveroo.co.uk London). We live in an area of Buckinghamshire that Deliveroo and JustEats won't deliver to!

Barclaycard say card details probably obtained from a database hack.

Card is only used for eBay/PayPal purchases and for paying agents of property we own abroad, so strange that it ended up being used in the UK, as would imply eBay/PayPal have been hacked.

• MattMattMattUKMattMattMattUK Forumite
    2.5K Posts
    1,000 Posts First Anniversary Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    PhredE said:
    Just found similar item on my Barclaycard statement. (Deliveroo.co.uk London). We live in an area of Buckinghamshire that Deliveroo and JustEats won't deliver to!

Barclaycard say card details probably obtained from a database hack.

Card is only used for eBay/PayPal purchases and for paying agents of property we own abroad, so strange that it ended up being used in the UK, as would imply eBay/PayPal have been hacked.
    Not really, cards details are traded internationally once obtained, criminals will use them in countries where they are most likely to succeed.
  • s_rs_r Forumite
    36 Posts
    10 Posts Name Dropper
    I always use Apple Pay as it seems to be much more secure and the retailers don't get the card number. Instead of the card number, they get a token ID (I may be wrong on this)... but using Apple Pay is definitely more secure and eliminates the chance of card getting cloned. Additionally, there is no limit on Apple Pay (like Wave and Pay) and I have used Apple Pay for transactions up to £2,300 without any issues.
  • edited 9 April 2021 at 12:53AM
    WatsonWatson Forumite
    236 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    edited 9 April 2021 at 12:53AM
    Another instance, though not involving Barclaycard.

Today I discovered a very recent Deliveroo purchase on my Halifax MasterCard and started a separate thread about it because a forum search didn't turn up this one.  I've now edited that post and moved my comments here.

The card was obtained two years ago purely for a balance transfer and has never been used for anything else.  In fact, it's still attached to the letter with which it arrived.  I've never used Deliveroo or had an account with them.

The transaction was for £131 which seems rather a lot for a single food order, though it is of course roughly in line with other cases.  The Halifax are investigating.
  • born_againborn_again Forumite
    6.9K Posts
    1,000 Posts Second Anniversary Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    TBH. 
    I would not worry about this (goes for all posters with the issue) It is pointless stressing over where & when it happened. You get refunded, so let that be the end of it.
    Even if you found out where & when it happened, there would be nothing you could do.
    As who ever it was that took the details will have moved on & may just be at the next place you use your card.
    Life in the slow lane
  • WatsonWatson Forumite
    236 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    I agree, but I still find the mechanics of the theft fascinating and would like to know how it was done.
  • Penelopa.PitstopPenelopa.Pitstop Forumite
    1.1K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    Albie77 said:
    Another case here, I acquired an “Emergency use only” credit card from Barclaycard back in October. Thus far I’ve not used it at all and it’s been in the safe at home since the day I received it. 

All of a sudden, I get a text from barclaycard out of the blue asking me to check if some transactions are mine. Two transactions for deliveroo had been made within 2 minutes of each other.
    Another case of Deliveroo fraud on Barclaycard that was never used anywhere. Particular card from 2020 is still attached to piece of paper it arrived on. Previous one that expired, was used for balance transfer on Barclay website in 2018. We haven't used this card account for any purchases since 2015, only balance transfers.

Must be auto generated card number and expiration date.
  • JamieJ89JamieJ89 Forumite
    80 Posts
    10 Posts First Anniversary Name Dropper
    I had similar issue with my work credit card, which is a Lloyds credit card. 4 x transactions in the space of a weekend with total spend of around £250 to deliveroo! 

Due to covid and home working, hadn’t actually used the card for 12 months +