Deliveroo Credit Card Cloning Query?

Comments

• eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 30,938 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    nic_c said:
    nick74 said:
    eskbanker said:
    That's circumstantial and doesn't imply any wrongdoing on Deliveroo's part, it just signifies that online food delivery orders (not requiring PIN verification) are a popular choice with fraudsters accessing cloned cards, safe in the knowledge that, even though there'll be a delivery address associated with the order, the prospects of either the card company or the police investigating low-value fraud is negligible.
    What’s low value fraud? The fraud one I had with Deliveroo was for £127, which to
    me isn’t that low a value. 

I would expect that Barclaycard would investigate where it was delivered to, especially as they refunded it to me very quickly.

You may find that they have found and prosecuted someone, it maybe that you won’t hear or know about it. 
    £127 may not be low value to you or I, but to Barclaycard it's barely loose change. We once had fraud of circa £2k on a commercial Mastercard at work and Lloyds refunded it without batting an eyelid.
    From: https://www.ukfinance.org.uk/system/files/Fraud The Facts 2019 - FINAL ONLINE.pdf

"Fraud losses on UK-issued cards totalled £671.4 million in 2018, a 19 per cent increase from £565.4 million in 2017. At the same time, total spending on all debit and credit cards reached £800 billion in 2018, with 20.4 billion transactions made during the year."
    The figures I quoted a few days ago at the top of the page were taken from the more recent edition of that report, at https://www.ukfinance.org.uk/system/files/Fraud-The-Facts-2020-FINAL-ONLINE-11-June.pdf

In the context of whether £127 represents 'low-value fraud', I'd suggest that the average value of fraud transactions (£226) is a more meaningful comparator than the average value of all transactions (sub £40)....
  • Sandtree
    Sandtree Posts: 10,628 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    eskbanker said:
    The figures I quoted a few days ago at the top of the page were taken from the more recent edition of that report, at https://www.ukfinance.org.uk/system/files/Fraud-The-Facts-2020-FINAL-ONLINE-11-June.pdf

In the context of whether £127 represents 'low-value fraud', I'd suggest that the average value of fraud transactions (£226) is a more meaningful comparator than the average value of all transactions (sub £40)....
    I'd agree its more meaningful but ultimately both numbers are interesting.

The Mrs has had her card cloned (as in a physical card was made) twice and her card lost/stolen twice in recent years.... in all 4 cases whoever it was made 2-3 contactless purchases in Argos at a penny or two below the contactless limit (different branches for the 4 times but the 2-3 transactions were made in the same branch)... have always been a little curious as to what they actually bought and why Argos appears to be a haven for those that have non-legimate cards.
  • I don't know about Argos but I suspect the reason Deliveroo is targetted is that you can have the food delivered to an address other than the card billing address.

Also they are fairly flexible with delivery addresses - I haven't tried it but I suspect you could have it delivered to 'leave by the ticket machine in the car park and the end of field next to the pub on the ring road' - very little chance of anyone subsequently tracing you!
  • Migster
    Migster Posts: 150 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Sandtree said:
    The Mrs has had her card cloned (as in a physical card was made) twice and her card lost/stolen twice in recent years.... in all 4 cases whoever it was made 2-3 contactless purchases in Argos at a penny or two below the contactless limit (different branches for the 4 times but the 2-3 transactions were made in the same branch)... have always been a little curious as to what they actually bought and why Argos appears to be a haven for those that have non-legimate cards.
    So you're saying that her card was cloned twice and on each occasion, the fraudsters were then able to make contactless payments with the cloned cards? I'm not sure it's technically possible to create a cloned card that would work contactlessly and if it was, it would be a lot of hassle to go to for just a few low-value transactions. 
  • Another Barclaycard / Deliveroo rogue transaction victim here today . Only £32 in my case but again I have never used Deliveroo..... Coincidence or how any other victims are there out there ??
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 35,242 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    martin177 said:
     Coincidence or how any other victims are there out there ??
    Probably the majority of card providers, so a few dozen victims.
  • Sandtree
    Sandtree Posts: 10,628 Forumite
    Migster said:
    So you're saying that her card was cloned twice and on each occasion, the fraudsters were then able to make contactless payments with the cloned cards? I'm not sure it's technically possible to create a cloned card that would work contactlessly and if it was, it would be a lot of hassle to go to for just a few low-value transactions. 
    I am saying that on two occasions contactless payments were made in Argos when she was still in physical possession of the card and on one of the two occasions it occurred on week 4 of a 6 week holiday abroad so not a case of her forgetting she bought 3 things for £29.99 in 3 separate transactions within 5 minutes. The bank stated that the card must have been cloned as there was no other rational for it. 
  • born_again
    born_again Posts: 14,361 Forumite
    martin177 said:
    Another Barclaycard / Deliveroo rogue transaction victim here today . Only £32 in my case but again I have never used Deliveroo..... Coincidence or how any other victims are there out there ??
    Deliveroo & other food delivery co's a very common target for fraudsters. The fact you have never used them means that somewhere you have used your card has had a compromise, or someone has taken details off a till roll.
    Life in the slow lane
  • MaryNB
    MaryNB Posts: 2,319 Forumite
    I have received my replacement (unactivated) card, no tampering with the envelope from what i can make out. I used the previous card for 2 months purchasing just eight items, chip and pin first time followed by 7 contactless purchases less than £100 in total. Having had it for only 2 months and eight transactions I'm still stunned as to how this was cloned unless i was a victim of RFID skimming which is supposed to be almost non existent. :s   
    So 8 times your full card number is on a till receipt.

But if this is a card that was replaced due to fraud and the fraud is to the likes of Netflix or some of the food suppliers.
    Then they can request the new card details from Visa Account Updater (Mastercard have their own version) as they are processed as CPA's.

So in effect in that case you could leave the card in the envelope unopened and they would still get the new card no.
    My friend's mother has this problem. Somebody was using her card on deliveroo. Thanks to VAU, when she cancelled it she still got defrauded on her new one, and then again on the next one. She didn't realise VAU existed and was just convinced that her cards were all being hacked and it made her very paranoid. 
  • Elmer_BeFuddled
    Elmer_BeFuddled Posts: 312 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 7 January 2021 at 3:37PM
    Pray tell, what is VAU?
    I'm writing a book on plagiarism. It wasn't my idea.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback