Awful weather - typical Brits talk

Comments

• YoungBlueEyes
    YoungBlueEyes Posts: 3,815
    First Anniversary Homepage Hero Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    Pic of queer church tree, and a beetle sunning itself last night. It wasn’t a bit bothered I got so close either. 

In 1915, the lock millionaire Cecil Chubb bought his wife Stonehenge. She didn't like it, so in 1918 he gave it to the nation.
  • greenbee
    greenbee Posts: 16,056
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    YBE, your beetle looks like an alder beetle. Which is fine as long as you don’t have any baby alders for it to destroy. The tree looks like it could be an amerlanchier.

I’ve now sold up and left Farway’s part of the world, and am garden house hunting.
  • YoungBlueEyes
    Forumite
    No alders here I don't think. Well not in my garden anyway. 

Where abouts are you garden house hunting?
    In 1915, the lock millionaire Cecil Chubb bought his wife Stonehenge. She didn't like it, so in 1918 he gave it to the nation.
  • Dustyevsky
    Dustyevsky Posts: 1,200
    First Post Homepage Hero Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite
    I agree with the Amalanchier ID. Ours is a multi-stem jobbie too and t's looking good just now. I don't think that's an Alder Beetle, though. It looks more like a Blue Shield Bug: https://www.naturespot.org.uk/species/blue-shieldbug  It doesn't seem to live near me, despite being widespread.
    I thought it quite mild yesterday, despite the dullness. I was in shirtsleeves most of the time. It felt parky this morning, but that was at 06.30 and I was in my PJs letting the hens out, so not a fair test. :)
    Nothing wrong with getting married in your 70s. I might, but independence is nice too. ;) Besides, OH might have something to say about it!  :D

“Why do we need satire when we have reality?”  Zuby
  • greenbee
    Forumite
    edited 18 April 2023 at 7:32AM
    Blue shield bug is a much better option @Dustyevsky. Much less destructive too. I hope I left my alder beetles behind. The beech hedge didn’t mind them, but planting alders was a mistake. Hopefully they’ll survive (assuming the new owners want to keep them).

I’m garden-hunting in Norfolk @YoungBlueEyes. Currently anything in the right area has too much garden or not enough. Or a totally unsuitable house (apparently somewhere to live and work is important). 
  • YoungBlueEyes
    Forumite
    House hunting is such a headache unless you have really loose parameters.. Lots of beautiful spots in Norfolk though, I hope you find somewhere soon :)

I've DuckDuck'd alder, there's one a few gardens along. Attractive it is too.
  • Dustyevsky
    Dustyevsky Posts: 1,200
    First Post Homepage Hero Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite
    House hunting is such a headache unless you have really loose parameters.. Lots of beautiful spots in Norfolk though, I hope you find somewhere soon :)

I've DuckDuck'd alder, there's one a few gardens along. Attractive it is too.
    We have about half a dozen Italian Alders and there aren't many deciduous trees that grow faster. Sadly, the firewood isn't great, otherwise I'd have planted more. Round here, Common and Grey Alders line the river banks, and we have lots of 'Allers' in place names.
    The right house will find you, greenbee . We spent years waiting to buy in Pembrokeshire, and had offers on two rejected, when suddenly, this place came up in a totally different area. It kept calling us back for another look. Having lived around here once, this was the last place I wanted to buy a house, but the amount of garden and land won us over. I'm never going to love the house, but it's easy-care and warm. Best of all, despite being out in the sticks, we're not plagued with wild creatures that I imagined would make growing things difficult. I've never had to plant with tree guards, for example. o:)
     “Why do we need satire when we have reality?”  Zuby
  • Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,017
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    Blue sky and breezy, supposed to be warm, but they lied about that yesterday, it was bluddy cold so zero bum in gear regarding Cloth of Gold forest potting on. Should the sun actually be warm today, then just maybe I can get down to it

Another one here who likes Norfolk, or at least the bits of it I've seen, I imagine it could be cold though with a wind from the east and nothing in the way to deflect it, good for growing mustard of course!

Should the sun keep shining I'll go down & check my cherry blossom, it was close to opening the other day, and I saw one helicopter size bumblebee nosing around yesterday, so fingers crossed for my pear & plum blossom

Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
  • greenbee
    Forumite
    There's an east wind at the moment Farway! Nothing between us and Siberia 🤣

I've got a fairly clearly defined area I'm looking in based on proximity to family and friends. I don't want to move all this way only to still be miles from anyone I know. Broadband is also important. As is the garden. Ideally (given I'm still working VERY full time) I'd like a house that doesn't need much doing to it, but the location, broadband and plot are the primary factors. 
  • YoungBlueEyes
    Forumite
    Breaking news!

'My' blacky is the interloper!

They just had a fight over their breakfast, and Mrs Blacky had to break it up and see him off. Jeez there was a lot of noise :o 

I'm actually a bit upset. Himself's fault - he's turning me soft :D 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 233.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.5K Life & Family
  • 246.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback